Search

All things Mandarin Oriental...

Search this Thread

Old Aug 19, 2022, 12:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Originally Posted by jasonNYC85
any love for the MO in Kuala Lumpur? I have three nights in KL as a sort of "add-on" to another trip and I like the look of the pool here. Given the short stay I'm not as concerned if the hotel feels a bit dated as long as it isn't dingy! Is this a good home base for a few days in KL?
Its been several years since I've been to KL, but hopefully the hotel is in good shape. I highly recommend a club room/suite as the club is very nice. It is in a good location for a KL base. At least it works well for me on business trips.
FlyerEC and jasonNYC85 like this.
Old Aug 25, 2022, 7:07 am

Programs: Delta, Marriott
Originally Posted by stimpy
Its been several years since I've been to KL, but hopefully the hotel is in good shape. I highly recommend a club room/suite as the club is very nice. It is in a good location for a KL base. At least it works well for me on business trips.
Awesome thanks I got a club room (not suite) with a view of the towers for 3 nights next June! Booked through Amex FHR so might get lucky on a suite upgrade.
Old Aug 25, 2022, 8:22 pm

MO Emirates Palace Abu Dhabi updated rooms

Yesterday, I had a quick look at the renovated rooms at Mandarin Oriental Emirates Palace Abu Dhabi.

The rooms and suites have been renovated “properly” with an updated style, very similar to MO Dubai. Carpets, furniture, beds etc are new, but bathrooms are untouched.

I won’t bore you with a photo of the renovated palace suites (the ones around the dome in the middle of the building). These only received fresh carpet and all soft goods were upholstered, however the furniture and color scheme remained exactly the same - no changes. The bathrooms also remained untouched.

Amenities are now Diptyque.

They are renovating all the outlets at the moment, supposed to be ready by October for a rebranded opening in late November (to be ready for the UAE’s national day on December 2).

Overall, I really like the new rooms in the west and east wings, but the palace suites are a disappointment to me.

The Spa is currently still under renovation and a temporary (although very nice) area of the hotel is being used.
Old Sep 13, 2022, 10:08 pm

Mandarin Oriental lost its DC property.

https://www.nbcwashington.com/entert...ation/3155557/
Old Sep 14, 2022, 3:15 am

Goodness... another MO gone in the US!

After Vegas now DC... seems they are not too lucky in that part of the world. That leaves them with the ravaged NYC property (sold), their lacklustre Miami and Boston.

On a lighter note, their updated website seems rather good!
offerendum likes this.
Old Sep 14, 2022, 12:49 pm

Originally Posted by scented

After Vegas now DC... seems they are not too lucky in that part of the world. That leaves them with the ravaged NYC property (sold), their lacklustre Miami and Boston.

On a lighter note, their updated website seems rather good!
Not a fan of the Boston property?

They also had properties in San Francisco and Atlanta that they also lost.
Old Sep 14, 2022, 12:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by scented

After Vegas now DC... seems they are not too lucky in that part of the world.
Not luck. It is simply not possible to replicate the Oriental Bangkok in the USA. There is no hotel, independent nor chain that comes close to that in America.
Old Sep 14, 2022, 3:05 pm

Not luck. It is simply not possible to replicate the Oriental Bangkok in the USA. There is no hotel, independent nor chain that comes close to that in America.
No, you're right, but still other groups are a bit better at adapting to the local circumstances.
Old Sep 14, 2022, 3:59 pm

Programs: KrisFlyer Gold, SWA CP
Not luck. It is simply not possible to replicate Oriental Bangkok in the USA. There is no hotel, independent nor chain that comes close to that in America.
I think the problem is deeper. My list of MO stays includes more than the average number of disasters and only a single good stay:

MO SF (now an FS) -- Refused an agreed-upon 1pm checkout, forcing me to rent a business suite for 1 hour. Good views, no lobby ...
MO Singapore -- Positively the ugliest hotel in the world. Just a disaster. A garish assault on the senses, both visual and aural. That, combined with a bizarre dress code makes this a poor choice in Singapore. But Singapore is well populated with bad, and worse options.
MO Geneva -- OK, but bland. Prefer the FS, although I dislike Geneva.
MO Munich -- Quite good. I enjoyed this one.
MO Barcelona -- Noisy rooms sized for small hamsters. Odd restaurant.
MO LV (now a WA) -- Hostile. Poor service. Bizarre and tiny rooms.
MO Boston -- OK, if a little bland. I prefer FS Boylston.
MO NYC -- Still pissed that the lobby waiter ran my wine bill up by upselling me at $40/glass. The bartender made the employees at Raffles Singapore look friendly. Refused BK service on Easter. More problems than I can remember on the bill. The bill was so out of whack the CC company had frozen my card.

I've never tried either of the MOs in HK, since the Upper House gets my business. The only other chain that compares with my MO problems is Montage. I've had bad luck at two locations. I have trouble remembering poor FS stays. The only one that comes to mind is FS Sydney. While friendly, the physical plant would embarrass an owner of a Motel 6. I remember thinking when I booked FS Sydney: "It's an FS. It can't be as bad as the reviews." It was. Even the elevators are scary. I remain surprised FS hasn't fixed Sydney. A meal I had at the restaurant was the 2nd worst meal in my life.
RichardInSF and scented like this.

Last edited by mike_la_jolla; Sep 14, 2022 at 4:04 pm
Old Sep 15, 2022, 2:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by mike_la_jolla
I think the problem is deeper. My list of MO stays includes more than the average number of disasters and only a single good stay:

MO SF (now an FS) -- Refused an agreed-upon 1pm checkout, forcing me to rent a business suite for 1 hour. Good views, no lobby ...
MO Singapore -- Positively the ugliest hotel in the world. Just a disaster. A garish assault on the senses, both visual and aural. That, combined with a bizarre dress code makes this a poor choice in Singapore. But Singapore is well populated with bad, and worse options.
MO Geneva -- OK, but bland. Prefer the FS, although I dislike Geneva.
MO Munich -- Quite good. I enjoyed this one.
MO LV (now a WA) -- Hostile. Poor service. Bizarre and tiny rooms.
MO Boston -- OK, if a little bland. I prefer FS Boylston.
MO NYC -- Still pissed that the lobby waiter ran my wine bill up by upselling me at $40/glass. The bartender made the employees at Raffles Singapore look friendly. Refused BK service on Easter. More problems than I can remember on the bill. The bill was so out of whack the CC company had frozen my card.

I've never tried either of the MOs in HK, since the Upper House gets my business. The only other chain that compares with my MO problems is Montage. I've had bad luck at two locations. I have trouble remembering poor FS stays. The only one that comes to mind is FS Sydney. While friendly, the physical plant would embarrass an owner of a Motel 6. I remember thinking when I booked FS Sydney: "It's an FS. It can't be as bad as the reviews." It was. Even the elevators are scary. I remain surprised FS hasn't fixed Sydney. A meal I had at the restaurant was the 2nd worst meal in my life.
Tokyo is fine/good but having no pool is a major minus in this day and age.
Old Sep 15, 2022, 6:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The two MO's in Hong Kong are fabulous. The flagship there has history that no other hotel can buy.
I love the MO Prague and had my best spa experience in Europe there.
As for Singapore, the design of the hotel interior is weird, but the club design is very good. The club experience is excellent and far better than the FS. And the pool is great. I actually prefer that people dress appropriately for the destination/environment.
KL has a great club too.
The MO Bangkok is simply the worlds greatest hotel. Others come and go, but this hotel manages to preserve its greatness like no other.

As for MO's in the USA, I never thought it was a good idea for the brand to open a hotel there. I am pretty sure that I posted that sentiment on Flyertalk back when the MO announced they were heading to America. And I have never even tried to stay at one.
FlyerEC and BlueThroughCrimp like this.
Old Sep 16, 2022, 2:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeSPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
I found the 2 star restaurant very good, didn´t try the casual one. Agree about room size, my suite was too small.
Old Sep 16, 2022, 10:29 am

Programs: OWE, *G
Interesting, had something similar happen with my bill at MO NYC where I had been billed for other guests’ breakfasts… managed to clear it up before leaving though but it was a bother and at first it seemed like the receptionist didn’t believed it.
offerendum likes this.
Old Sep 16, 2022, 12:01 pm

Originally Posted by Aventine
Tokyo is fine/good but having no pool is a major minus in this day and age.
Never quite understood that decision. The building itself was built in 2005, I believe.
Old Sep 16, 2022, 4:49 pm

Originally Posted by Shangri-La
Never quite understood that decision. The building itself was built in 2005, I believe.
I do really like the heat and water experience section there attached to the spa. Great views from the sauna and the baths. I also like the steam room.
Shangri-La likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.