Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Rome Luxury Hotel

Search this Thread

Old Jul 8, 2023, 7:56 pm

Programs: QFF, AA, LM, EY
Hi guys

Any recent thoughts/opinions as to which is the better choice of hotel between the newcomers Six Senses or Bulgari ?
Which has a more ideal location for a first time visitor to Rome ?
Old Jul 9, 2023, 6:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeSPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
Originally Posted by Nizar
Hi guys

Any recent thoughts/opinions as to which is the better choice of hotel between the newcomers Six Senses or Bulgari ?
I haven't stayed in either of them yet, so I can't comment on that. I just took a look at the city map. In terms of location, the Six Senses is a bit more central than the Bulgari, although the latter is still well located. Ultimately, though, we're talking about 2 hotels that are maybe 15 minutes außeinander. But that's nothing in a city as big as Rome. If you don't want to be in a very specific place, you will always have to drive somewhere and you can walk somewhere else just fine. Bulgari, for example, is directly across from the Augustus Mausoleum and the Ara Pacis. At Six Senses, you're closer to the city center sights. In summary, if it's purely about the location for sightseeing, I would prefer the Six Senses. Personally, I also prefer the environment.
cornwall4000 likes this.

Last edited by offerendum; Jul 9, 2023 at 6:55 am
Old Jul 9, 2023, 6:06 pm

Programs: QFF, AA, LM, EY
Originally Posted by offerendum
I haven't stayed in either of them yet, so I can't comment on that. I just took a look at the city map. In terms of location, the Six Senses is a bit more central than the Bulgari, although the latter is still well located. Ultimately, though, we're talking about 2 hotels that are maybe 15 minutes außeinander. But that's nothing in a city as big as Rome. If you don't want to be in a very specific place, you will always have to drive somewhere and you can walk somewhere else just fine. Bulgari, for example, is directly across from the Augustus Mausoleum and the Ara Pacis. At Six Senses, you're closer to the city center sights. In summary, if it's purely about the location for sightseeing, I would prefer the Six Senses. Personally, I also prefer the environment.
Thanks for sharing your thoughts. Very helpful.
offerendum likes this.
Old Jul 10, 2023, 12:02 pm
Aman 5+ BadgeFour Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: UA1K, *G & Wife of UA1K MM
Originally Posted by Nizar
Hi guys

We’re looking at a boutique hotel owned by the Feragamo family. Portrait Roma. It’s Virtuoso and has some really special elements like rooftop terrace for breakfast and evening cocktails. It’s on the Via Condotti very close to Spanish steps/Trevo Fountain. Great walking neighborhood. No dinner restaurant but they have take out menus from lots of nearby restaurants and go pick it up for you ala room service. Excellent service reputation. We reserved a suite with a Juliet balcony.
Old Jul 10, 2023, 12:03 pm

Is there a FS opening in Rome?
Old Jul 10, 2023, 12:09 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXPPLT, United 1K, *wood PLT, Delta Gold, Hyatt Diamond, Southwest A-list
Originally Posted by Ericka
We’re looking at a boutique hotel owned by the Feragamo family. Portrait Roma. It’s Virtuoso and has some really special elements like rooftop terrace for breakfast and evening cocktails. It’s on the Via Condotti very close to Spanish steps/Trevo Fountain. Great walking neighborhood. No dinner restaurant but they have take out menus from lots of nearby restaurants and go pick it up for you ala room service. Excellent service reputation. We reserved a suite with a Juliet balcony.
we stayed there last summer and loved it. We had a Junior Suite and Timeless Suite. Four of us. It was really an amazing hotel. It is located in a great spot and the service was excellent. You will be very happy there. One of the best in the city.
Old Jul 10, 2023, 12:12 pm

Curious if Six Senses is in the same neighborhood as Portrait Roma…
Old Jul 10, 2023, 1:10 pm

Portrait Roma is in a good spot if you want to be near high end shopping. Six Senses is the most "central" in as much as you can be in Rome - but it's easily walkable (15 mins or so) to more of the popular tourist sites than the others. Bvgari is closer to the Spanish Steps, walkable to fewer of the popular sights, but still very convenient to many things and also to the metro line. They are all in good locations if you want to shop or see the popular historic sites. If you were to create a tourist heat map, these would all be in the purple, so for me they're nice places to stay in the offseason, but I prefer to be further out closer to the neighborhoods during peak/summer. But I think it's come up here before - I care less about hotel services here than most, and I find a luxury hotel and a nicer apartment rental to be relatively fungible. If you rely on the hotel for more (e.g. recommendations/reservations, eating on property, pool, spa) then you really can't go wrong with any of these.

If I were forced to pick one, I'm a location person over all other factors, so I'll take Six Senses over the others. But if you told me I was staying at one of the other two, I'd still be thrilled.
Old Jul 10, 2023, 3:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
SPG 5+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

Curious if Six Senses is in the same neighborhood as Portrait Roma…
More or less. It´s more in the neighborhood of Bulgari.
Old Jul 10, 2023, 3:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
SPG 5+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

Is there a FS opening in Rome?
Yes, but I doubt very soon. They say 2025.....
Old Jul 10, 2023, 3:59 pm

Originally Posted by offerendum
Yes, but I doubt very soon. They say 2025.....
I read somewhere that there are two in the works - one near the Vatican for 2025, and possibly another in 2026 near the Spanish Steps. If the former is in fact going in just off of Via della Conciliazione, that'll be a nice location in terms of location near some great restaurants. Long walk to most of the typical sites, minus the Vatican and Castel Sant'Angelo. But mostly flat and very walkable. I have no interest in staying near the Spanish Steps ever again, so I'll skip that one
Old Aug 7, 2023, 11:47 am

Programs: LH Senator, CX Diamond, UA Prem Plat, Fans of MO Elite
I just finished a stay at Six Senses Rome.

Avoid the hotel for now; they're still not ready for prime time and will need several more months or a year to work out major issues. While the location is good, the hotel staff fail at getting simple, important details right. It certainly didn't feel luxurious and it's poor value for the rates they charge. At check out, the Front Desk were chaotic, disorganized and confused and I was the only guest checking out!

I think Hotel Eden, Bvlgari or Portrait Roma are better options. I was at Portrait Roma years ago and had a great experience,
livefromtuscany likes this.
Old Aug 8, 2023, 4:27 am
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by Mr. Strong
I just finished a stay at Six Senses Rome.

Avoid the hotel for now; they're still not ready for prime time and will need several more months or a year to work out major issues. While the location is good, the hotel staff fail at getting simple, important details right. It certainly didn't feel luxurious and it's poor value for the rates they charge. At check out, the Front Desk were chaotic, disorganized and confused and I was the only guest checking out!
That's unfortunate to hear; that matches my experience at the spa in April I mentioned in post #240 in this thread.

I'd have hoped they'd have worked out the issues by now.
Old Sep 17, 2023, 12:52 pm
Original Member

Fascinating piece by Jason Horowitz (NYT Rome Bureau Chief) on Ultra Luxe in Rome, and the contradictions (gift article so no paywall): https://www.nytimes.com/2023/09/14/t...smid=url-share
offerendum likes this.
Old Sep 17, 2023, 3:37 pm
Community Director Emerita

Originally Posted by KatW
Fascinating piece by Jason Horowitz (NYT Rome Bureau Chief) on Ultra Luxe in Rome, and the contradictions
Shocking prices. Fortunately, I've had many (business and personal) trips to Rome and am ready to stay elsewhere. My current passion is J Paul Getty's villa, La Posta Vecchia, an hour or so from Rome, in Ladispolli. We had J Paul's room itself for under $2K and thoroughly enjoyed the property. I recognize that doesn't suit for sightseeing in Rome, but it suits for us when we want to position near the airport.

https://www.postavecchiahotel.com/en/
offerendum likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.