Wiki Posts
Search

Mediocre crowds at luxury hotels

Search this Thread

Old Apr 23, 2015, 4:46 pm

Programs: AC 50k 1MM, Marriott LT Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by LuxuryRogue
Very simple:

If you have a problem with the term "mediocre crowds", you are one of them.

If you have a problem with mediocre crowds, you are one of us.

Quote from travelblog Gentleman Adventurer:

"Do not read my TRAVEL DIARY if you belong to the great unwashed, or to the average brainwashed, if you support mediocracy, or if you suffer from penis envy, tall-poppy-syndrome, crabs-in-the-bucket, or worse: janteloven."
Wow. What a jack@ss.

He may not be mediocre but I sure wouldn't want to have to put up with him. And no real gentleman would say what he does in that quote.

Aren't different perspectives lovely?

Last edited by ridefar; Apr 23, 2015 at 6:53 pm
Old Apr 23, 2015, 4:51 pm

Lightbulb

Originally Posted by Musken
Someone mentioned Service recovery for bad behaviour. We actually experienced something like that. We were in an Amanresort. In the villa next to ours a couple was having loud sex outside. When we heard that the second time in one day my husband went to talk to the management. Even our son have started to ask what kind of noise came from next door. They immediately moved us to another villa two categories up.
Twice a day.... seems they enjoy their vacation
Old Apr 23, 2015, 5:47 pm
Aman 5+ BadgeFour Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: UA1K, *G & Wife of UA1K MM
Someone mentioned Service recovery for bad behaviour. We actually experienced something like that. We were in an Amanresort. In the villa next to ours a couple was having loud sex outside. When we heard that the second time in one day my husband went to talk to the management. Even our son have started to ask what kind of noise came from next door. They immediately moved us to another villa two categories up.
Did I miss this in one of your trip reports?!? LOL.
Old Apr 23, 2015, 8:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Bad for you. Good for them!
Old Apr 23, 2015, 9:16 pm
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ridefar
Wow. What a jack@ss.

He may not be mediocre but I sure wouldn't want to have to put up with him. And no real gentleman would say what he does in that quote.

Aren't different perspectives lovely?
You are clearly not aware that Luxury Rogue, who posted the quote you cited, is one and the same with the blogger, Gentleman Adventurer, as evidenced by this page at the head of the blog:

http://gentlemanadventurer.travellerspoint.com/

Also, now speaking as moderator, let me once again remind everyone that FT rules require that links to your blog, no matter how many blogs you have, can only appear in one place: in a signature file, not in the body of the post.

RichardInSF, moderator, luxury hotels

Last edited by RichardInSF; Apr 23, 2015 at 9:22 pm
Old Apr 24, 2015, 3:31 am

Location: my heart is on the shores of the north Italian lakes
Programs: LX Senator Lifetime, Relais&Chateaux Club5C, ex ! "Amanjunkie", ex LHW LC, hate chain hotels
Originally Posted by RichardInSF
You are clearly not aware that Luxury Rogue, who posted the quote you cited, is one and the same with the blogger, Gentleman Adventurer, as evidenced by this page at the head of the blog:

http://gentlemanadventurer.travellerspoint.com/s
Luxury Rogue is obviously NOT "mediocre", but a rather eclectic special person. Scrolling down on his blog I love those dust covered bags in the car with..... Senator baggage tags all of them .
Our friend might be more conformist than he tries to make us think. Would love what such a guy makes for a living.
Old Apr 24, 2015, 4:24 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by behuman
Luxury Rogue is obviously NOT "mediocre", but a rather eclectic special person. Scrolling down on his blog I love those dust covered bags in the car with..... Senator baggage tags all of them .
Our friend might be more conformist than he tries to make us think. Would love what such a guy makes for a living.

I'm answering this and more in a parallel thread: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trave...-magazine.html
Old Apr 25, 2015, 6:37 am
Aman Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by Aventine
Bad for you. Good for them!
Well, in the end it was a win-win as we loved our upgrade.
Old Apr 25, 2015, 8:11 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, oneworld emerald
Originally Posted by MikeFromTokyo
Provided that children are well behaved, I experience vicarious joy when I see them playing and enjoying vacations with their families.
That's a really nice and healthy attitude to have, and I wished that I shared it. Children are never anything but annoying to me...
Old Apr 25, 2015, 12:16 pm
DSI
formerly declinespecificinformatiom

"That's a really nice and healthy attitude to have, and I wished that I shared it. Children are never anything but annoying to me."

Well, if it's any consolation this form of bigotry will be less socially acceptable in the near future, much like making fun of gays, the handicapped or minorities was in yesteryear. So your wish will likely be granted in due time because of societal pressure.
Old Apr 25, 2015, 1:12 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by nineworldseries
That's a really nice and healthy attitude to have, and I wished that I shared it. Children are never anything but annoying to me...
Let me get this straight...

A well-behaved, quiet child annoys you...?! You do know you were a kid once right?
Old Apr 25, 2015, 1:19 pm

Originally Posted by declinespecificinformation
"That's a really nice and healthy attitude to have, and I wished that I shared it. Children are never anything but annoying to me."

Well, if it's any consolation this form of bigotry will be less socially acceptable in the near future, much like making fun of gays, the handicapped or minorities was in yesteryear. So your wish will likely be granted in due time because of societal pressure.
Huh? Quite a stretch.

Including children(!) in the same category as truly aggrieved victims of bigotry (people who experienced persecution so severe it could result in the death of those being discriminated against) is ridiculous.

Now, something that is happening more often in food stores, bars, and restaurants is people who believe it is their dogs right to travel anywhere their owner does!

I do not want to see a dog in any establishment, much less one where they are preparing, serving, and selling food that I will be eating.
Old Apr 26, 2015, 12:54 am

Originally Posted by LarkSFO
I do not want to see a dog in any establishment, much less one where they are preparing, serving, and selling food that I will be eating.
Better steer clear of Korea then!
Old Apr 26, 2015, 1:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by Pausanias
Better steer clear of Korea then!
Japan as well. Some places are extremely pet friendly.
Old Apr 26, 2015, 1:19 am

Originally Posted by Aventine
Japan as well. Some places are extremely pet friendly.
There are restaurants in Japan that are marketed specifically as dog friendly! Hyatt Regency Hakone even has a resident dog, and rooms designed to accommodate dogs along with their owners.

Personally, I am more likely to have a problem with the type of guest who would object to the presence of well behaved children, or pets (where appropriate), than I would be to have a problem with children or pets themselves.

Last edited by MikeFromTokyo; Apr 26, 2015 at 1:38 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.