Search

Mediocre crowds at luxury hotels

Search this Thread

Old May 25, 2015, 2:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeSPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
Originally Posted by RichardInSF
It springs from an older era where tattoos were believed to characterize yakuza (gangsters)..
Would be fun to tell this people to stay out
Old May 25, 2015, 3:23 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by TheBrownPrince
For the dress code discussion and about how what you wear affects others, let's take as an obvious example, the Venice-Simplon. Sure, you can wear jeans if you insist and feel that would make you comfortable but people choose that train in order to get a certain feel. Hopefully, if you sign-up for it, you respect this choice as well and even if it's not your preferred attire, you will dress the part so as not to spoil the experience for them. I don't think that's too much to ask for. It's a simple act of consideration. The same should ring true in varying degrees for certain properties and restaurants.
Thank you, TheBrownPrince, this is excellent. I will not ruin your wonderful words with inappropriate code like the smiley or thumbs up.

You positively remind me of Prince Asfa-Wossen Asserate, in the book "People in hotels," Eichhorn Publishing 2006, pages 15 and 16:

"Let's face the gruesome reality: in the Salon of the Ritz, nowadays, there are not only men with naked necks, but also with short trousers. Yes, short trousers. I've tried to understand what motivates people to sit in the Ritz and pay a hefty bill, when the atmosphere they want to experience is of so little value to them, that they will thoughtlessy destroy it again with their appearance. It seems to me, those people relate to a Grand Hotel like to a King's Castle, that they visit: they know that they do not have the slightest in common with the culture here, yet they feel superior, because they think they can buy it. Of course, they are then the gullible ones."

This is my own translation, as part of the original text: NRT - "Not Ritz Type" (in German).
I bet that those with only one outfit, understand only one language.
Old May 25, 2015, 5:58 am
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by LuxuryRogue
Thank you, TheBrownPrince, this is excellent. I will not ruin your wonderful words with inappropriate code like the smiley or thumbs up.

You positively remind me of Prince Asfa-Wossen Asserate, in the book "People in hotels," Eichhorn Publishing 2006, pages 15 and 16:

"Let's face the gruesome reality: in the Salon of the Ritz, nowadays, there are not only men with naked necks, but also with short trousers. Yes, short trousers. I've tried to understand what motivates people to sit in the Ritz and pay a hefty bill, when the atmosphere they want to experience is of so little value to them, that they will thoughtlessy destroy it again with their appearance. It seems to me, those people relate to a Grand Hotel like to a King's Castle, that they visit: they know that they do not have the slightest in common with the culture here, yet they feel superior, because they think they can buy it. Of course, they are then the gullible ones."

This is my own translation, as part of the original text: NRT - "Not Ritz Type" (in German).
I bet that those with only one outfit, understand only one language.
I love me short trousers, yarr!

I think I produly fall well within the mediocre category of people here. I wonder what upsets people more, the way I dress or the fact that I weigh more than they would want me to.
Old May 25, 2015, 8:51 am

Isn't one of the points of being "higher class" to have the patience to co-exist with others who might strive to be one of them in some form?
Old May 25, 2015, 9:37 am
Aman 5+ BadgeFour Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: UA1K, *G & Wife of UA1K MM
I usually find the rules about jeans and "short trousers" to be a bit much. As a woman, I find I can dress both up very nicely....a pretty sweater or blouse, fancy shoes and jewelry, etc. I'm also fastidious about how my clothes fit which helps the overall picture.

Of course, what some young people call shorts these days.....LOL.
Old May 25, 2015, 1:04 pm

Programs: AC 50k 1MM, Marriott LT Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by op487062
Isn't one of the points of being "higher class" to have the patience to co-exist with others who might strive to be one of them in some form?
That point seems utterly lost on certain posters in this thread.
Old May 26, 2015, 9:17 am

Originally Posted by ridefar
That point seems utterly lost on certain posters in this thread.
I agree whole-heartedly. Obsessing and stressing about social signifiers such as dress codes is a hallmark of the petite bourgeois, not "higher class" at all.
Old May 26, 2015, 10:01 am

I dress to match my environment. Fancy city, fancy hotel? I dress up. Casual city, casual hotel? I dress down. But always always always neat. It's not that hard. It's a sign of respect, just like being polite. Steve Jobs' dad jeans and button down are fine for a tech workplace but absolutely wrong for any sort of formal environment. I don't think he would have worn that to the Savoy. If you want to wear denim, get something super dark and more fitted, pop on a blazer or a nice v-neck pullover, add some great shoes, and you'd be more in line with the decor and other patrons.
Old May 26, 2015, 10:43 am

Originally Posted by UrbanDweller
Steve Jobs' dad jeans and button down are fine for a tech workplace but absolutely wrong for any sort of formal environment. I don't think he would have worn that to the Savoy..
Yep, he definitely wouldn't have worn it to say meeting the President of the United States. http://www.maclife.com/files/u32/201...vebama_620.jpg
Old May 26, 2015, 10:59 am

OK, forget about Steve Jobs and his dad jeans. (Is he wearing them in that photo? I can't tell.) The point of the thread is hotel patrons looking/acting less luxurious than the hotel. It's not hard to achieve a fairly good match.
Old May 26, 2015, 12:28 pm
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist, *A Silver
Originally Posted by Tellerwaescher
In another thread a user complained about the "mediocre crowd" at the Ritz Carlton Berlin due to the comparatively cheap rates. This raises the question about the characteristics of a mediocre crowd at luxury hotels.

What kind of guests do you expect at luxury hotels? And is the quality of guests dependent on the price? Does the quality of guests matter at all while staying at a luxury hotel?
I expect guests who do not label other people as "mediocre".

But to play along with your logic... what defines someone as mediocre? You'll find a lot of rich folks in Chinese luxury hotels who talk loudly, smoke right outside the door (if the hotel doesn't allow smoking), or act in a drunken fashion late at night. Is that something you would consider mediocre? In Japan, taking photos in supermarkets are frowned on... if you're somewhere where the people frown on taking photos in hotels, and someone traveling there takes a picture - is that mediocre? In the accepting part of the modern America, people think that labeling others by their net worth, or their financial capacity to stay at a nice hotel mediocre - is that mediocre to you as well? I can spend $6000 on a Tom Ford suit whenever I want, and if you can't, can I say you're poor and mediocre?

Last edited by TOMFORD; May 26, 2015 at 12:35 pm
Old May 26, 2015, 12:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
SPG 5+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
Originally Posted by agp423
You'll find a lot of rich folks in Chinese luxury hotels who talk loudly, smoke right outside the door (if the hotel doesn't allow smoking), or act in a drunken fashion late at night. Is that something you would consider mediocre?
No, I would call it below average. What was original meant by mediocre has nothing in common with money or clothes. When I sad mediocre crowds in relation to a hotel in Berlin i meant bus tours, soccer fans on tour etc. Itīs simply not a nice atmosphere.
Old May 26, 2015, 12:54 pm
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist, *A Silver
Originally Posted by offerendum
No, I would call it below average. What was original meant by mediocre has nothing in common with money or clothes. When I sad mediocre crowds in relation to a hotel in Berlin i meant bus tours, soccer fans on tour etc. Itīs simply not a nice atmosphere.
The first sentence of the first post was "In another thread a user complained about the "mediocre crowd" at the Ritz Carlton Berlin due to the comparatively cheap rates." How does that have nothing to do with money?
Old May 26, 2015, 1:25 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by MacMyDay
Yep, he definitely wouldn't have worn it to say meeting the President of the United States.

Meeting the President is like staying at an Aman or Four Seasons. You get what you pay for, including the fake smile.

I love to sit at the Ritz, the Brenner's or De Paris and watch the humiliated faces of the simpletons who get turned away
Old May 26, 2015, 2:44 pm

My view on this sits somewhere in the middle of both extremes of the subject. Ultimately, I feel if the hotel does not have a strict dress code, I can wear whatever I want, within reason, e.g. stay clear of the mankini. The fact is, that what I want to wear, is what 90% of people would consider acceptable wear, basically jeans, trainers and a jumper/hoody. I don't feel I'm offending anyone by doing this and feel it's up to the hotel to decide the dress code, not the guests. If enough guests express displeasure are other guests staying there, management will find out and will have to enforce these standards. For example, if I were to go on the Venice-Simplon, I would wear jeans, unless it was not allowed. This is my choice, as it is the choice of companies to not allow me there if they so choose; I don't see why I should have to spend so much, so I have to spend the entire time ensuring everyone else is completely satisfied with my appearance.

Even 2 and 3 Michelin-starred restaurants have reduced their dress code significantly in the last few years. Places like Midsummer House and The Fat Duck don't even have one anymore and even Royal Hospital Road has lowered the standards required.
I will not visit The Ritz Restaurant (although I have stayed in the hotel once), as they insist on wearing a tie and I don't want to ever wear one. I won't complain about it, or ask if they can make an exception for me, I simply accept the rules and won't ever attend unless they change it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.