Mediocre crowds at luxury hotels

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Mediocre crowds at luxury hotels

Search this Thread

Old May 27, 2015, 10:15 am
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

When people start quoting themselves or discussing clothes, that's a sure sign that a thread has run its course. I'm going to leave this one open for a bit to see if we can get back on course, but please stick to the topic.

RichardInSF, moderator, luxury hotels
Old May 27, 2015, 6:38 pm

Programs: AC 50k 1MM, Marriott LT Titanium Elite
Richard... speaking only for myself, I am not sure what the course here ever was, or what exactly this thread could ever hope to make as a constructive contribution to this forum. It should be deleted in its entirety, in my opinion. The entire premise is somewhat offensive.
Old May 27, 2015, 7:03 pm

Originally Posted by ridefar
Richard... speaking only for myself, I am not sure what the course here ever was, or what exactly this thread could ever hope to make as a constructive contribution to this forum. It should be deleted in its entirety, in my opinion. The entire premise is somewhat offensive.
Absolutely agree.
Old May 27, 2015, 7:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

no more than 9 posters made comments that some are criticizing
that is out of 64 posters in this thread, so less than 14%
some of 9 agree with criticism, implies 'mixed messages'

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; May 28, 2015 at 2:18 pm
Old May 27, 2015, 11:23 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by aa213bb
Absolutely agree.
If you feel uncomfortable in these premises, why don't you stay outside.

Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
re this thread - what about FS throwing public parties at hotel pool?
Local parties at the local top hotel usually attract a good crowd. Because it tends to be the local elite. And hotel management knows who they get. It's the random room guest that management has no control over.

'Prole drift' was a problem of Aman in the 2000s, aka 'Amanjunkies'.

"Great hotels have always been social ideas, flawless mirrors to the particular societies they service."
Joan Didion

Last edited by LuxuryRogue; May 28, 2015 at 2:01 am
Old May 28, 2015, 12:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Lifetime Diamond, CX Gold, Mrs. Pickles travels for free
Originally Posted by sydakllon
The Wolseley crowd eats the Ritz crowd for breakfast.
I think the breakfast at the Wolseley is excellent. Best in London. Is the crowd there mediocre? It's a loud room (the acoustics in the center nave don't help, much prefer the no-reservations side room), and the crowd is a bit flash, but not too bridge-and-tunnel, and low on chavs.
Old May 28, 2015, 11:04 am
Original Poster

As I am the op of this tread I am naturally against it's deletion. I think this thread is not offensive either to participants of the thread nor to the "mediocre crowds" discussed. Of course this thread demonstrates that the kind of crowd someone likes tells you more about his/her personality than the kind of hotels he/she likes.

However this thread is a good exercise in Pierre Bourdieu's theories of class distinction. Consequently Asfra-Wossen Asserate was cited who is a scholar of Mr. Bourdieu although Mr. Asserate wouldn't probably admit.

Generally speaking there are three types of hotel guests present in this thread. Some confess they see mediocre crowds at luxury hotels. Other do not bother at all about the guests surrunding them and therefore see no mediocre crowds. The third and most interesting types suppose, they themselves could be seen as mediocre by other guests. The members of the last group show both great self-awareness and self-confidence.

Furthermore the thread shows three dimensions to describe mediocre crowds: wealth, appearance/clothes and attitude/manners. It seems to be prevailing opinion that there are only weak correlations between the three dimensions.

Obviously a mediocre crowd is seen when other guests differ in at least one dimension from oneself. Therefore it could be a good selling strategy for luxury hotels to attract a possibly homogenous crowd to avoid disappointments about mediocre crowds.

Last edited by Tellerwaescher; May 28, 2015 at 11:37 am
Old May 28, 2015, 11:47 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Tellerwaescher
As I am the op of this tread I am naturally against it's deletion. I think this thread is not offensive either to participants of the thread nor to the "mediocre crowds" discussed. Of course this thread demonstrates that the kind of crowd someone likes tells you more about his/her personality than the kind of hotels he likes.

However this thread is a good exercise in Pierre Bourdieu's theories of class distinction. Consequently Asfra-Wossen Asserate was cited who is a non-openly scholar of Mr. Bourdieu although Mr. Asserate wouldn't probably admit.

Generally speaking there are three types of hotel guests present in this thread. Some confess they see mediocre crowds at luxury hotels. Other do not bother at all about the guests surrunding them and therefore see no mediocre crowds. The third and most interesting types suppose, they themselves could be seen as mediocre by other guests. The members of the last group show both a great self-awareness and self-confidence.

Furthermore the thread shows three dimensions to describe mediocre crowds: wealth, appearance/clothes and attitude/manners. It seems to be prevailing opinion that there are only weak correlations between the three dimensions.

Obviously a mediocre crowd is seen when other guests differ in at least one dimension from oneself. Therefore it could be a good selling strategy for luxury hotels to attract a possibly homogenous crowd to avoid disappointments about mediocre crowds.
A quick guide to Bourdieu (1930 - 2002): http://studymore.org.uk/xybou.htm.

One of Bourdieu's key words is "Habitus".
(habit = French for suit)

Compare with my blog: "In order to really understand reality, and to make the right decisions, you require first-hand-info, contacts and exposure time. The key to most doors is your habitus." And my signature below.

"Habitus" can be learned. "Charisma" not.

Max Weber: "Charisma is a certain quality of an individual personality by virtue of which he is set apart from ordinary men and treated as endowed with supernatural, superhuman, or at least specifically exceptional powers or qualities. These are such as are not accessible to the ordinary person, but are regarded as of divine origin or as exemplary, and on the basis of them the individual concerned is treated as a leader."

"We are too sophisticated for American audiences" Bernie Ecclestone (-> thread will inevitably be deleted)

Last edited by LuxuryRogue; May 28, 2015 at 12:12 pm
Old May 28, 2015, 12:29 pm

Programs: AC 50k 1MM, Marriott LT Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by Tellerwaescher
As I am the op of this tread I am naturally against it's deletion. I think this thread is not offensive either to participants of the thread nor to the "mediocre crowds" discussed. Of course this thread demonstrates that the kind of crowd someone likes tells you more about his/her personality than the kind of hotels he/she likes.

However this thread is a good exercise in Pierre Bourdieu's theories of class distinction. Consequently Asfra-Wossen Asserate was cited who is a scholar of Mr. Bourdieu although Mr. Asserate wouldn't probably admit.
Wow that is amazing. What does it have to do with this board? Less than nothing. I suspect you are trolling here, and I suspect you were trolling with the original question. Referring to "theories of class distinction" more or less confirms that suspicion. Nevertheless the primary justification for removing this nonsense is not that it is offensive, it is that it is worthless.

Originally Posted by LuxuryRogue
[/I]

"We are too sophisticated for American audiences" Bernie Ecclestone (-> thread will inevitably be deleted)
And if by "sophisticated" you mean "dull" and "uninteresting" and "narcissistic" then you have perfectly captured the essence of Bernie, his little go-kart series, and your own divine powers.
Old May 28, 2015, 12:41 pm
BLV

It's really funny to read some people in this thread, who claim to have a handle on sophistication and style when their pictures that are supposed to backup those claims scream just the opposite - cheesy, classless, tasteless and poorly tailored. Truly, expensive things can be bought, but style & manners are never for sale.

And really, announcing to the world that you're a "gentleman" on every page of your blog doesn't make you one. Like Thatcher once said "Power is like being a lady. If you have to tell people you are, you aren't".
Old May 28, 2015, 2:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

management of "crowds" (includes nonguests and large group bookings) is a service factor
i would agree discussion could be more from perspective of property selection and service

in this thread >
2 used "mediocre" (rest disagree)
4 included attire (rest disagree)
1 finds well-behaved child annoying

one of the posts re property selection >

Originally Posted by GUWonder
until there is some sort of group collectively engaged in (or attracting) behavior that I find disruptive to my ability to enjoy my stay or otherwise have the stay support the purpose of my visit. Then I have to consider that maybe it's the hotel management that is mediocre rather than "the crowd" and that I may have failed to pick the proper place at the proper time.
re good service, in another thread >

Originally Posted by scented
I had a similar situation at a resort, where a group disturbed plenty of other guests. Heavy drinking, music and loud shouting involved. The situation become very hostile very quickly. Staff realized the situation, but was unable to stop the guests until the GM was called to the scene and handled everything so classy and soft-spoken that the outcome was very good. Turned an unfortunate event into a testimony for great service (recovery). That resort was part of a very well-reputed group though and the GM is one of the best around.

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; May 28, 2015 at 3:40 pm
Old May 28, 2015, 2:52 pm
Suspended

Bernie, his little go-kart series
"His" series' cars (Ferrari, Mercedes, Lotus...) will be parked by any doorman, possibly in pole position, whereas "your" series' cars (Chevy, Ford, Toyota...) will be ignored until you park them yourselves.

That is "crowd management". Thank you for introducing this important term here, Kage ^

Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
"crowd" management (includes nonguests and large group bookings) is service factor
"Habitus" is when you get your rented Kia parked by the Costes without having a room or reservation
Old May 28, 2015, 3:03 pm
DSI
formerly declinespecificinformatiom

I really have no idea what people are talking about, but it's starting to get to who can be more arrogant than the next person.

Certainly anyone can point to anything that makes them look down on someone else, whether it is an elite education (HYPS), a nicer car (LOL at a Lotus) or more refined manners, whatever they may be.

Mediocre is in the eye of the beholder and anyone that doesn't describe at least several aspects or their life as such is just a delusional blowhard.

Can we get onto complaining about hand towels or lotions again?

Correction: There may be people distinctly not mediocre on the board: with an elite education, elite manners, elite children, elite abs, elite cars, elite taste, elite clothing, elite woodworking skills, and so on.

Last edited by DSI; May 28, 2015 at 3:13 pm
Old May 28, 2015, 3:49 pm
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

This thread has devolved in to areas which are quite off topic. Perhaps, more suitable for OMNI than this forum.
I am closing this thread.
Obscure2k
Luxury Hotels

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.