Mediocre crowds at luxury hotels

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 21, 2015, 10:00 pm

Originally Posted by Peterpack
I know people who are rough as guts, as far from refined as you can get, but they could buy and sell everyone here (from a fortune earnt in the mining industry). You can never judge a book by it's cover.
But, after you have read the book, you can certainly determine whether the cover was appropriate.
Old Apr 21, 2015, 10:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAdvantage Executive Platinum, Delta Silver Medallion, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador
Originally Posted by Peterpack
I know people who are rough as guts, as far from refined as you can get, but they could buy and sell everyone here (from a fortune earnt in the mining industry). You can never judge a book by it's cover.
I keep thinking of the Adam Verver character in James's The Golden Bowl. One never knows whether he is simply a rough robber baron, having made his money off the backs of others in the New World and now spending it lavishly and conspicuously in the Old World because he can, something of an ill-mannered boor, or whether he is finely attuned to what is going on around him all along, whether he is, in fact, protecting his daughter (and perhaps even his oh so sophisticated but in the end naive son in law) from Charlotte, until his daughter figures it out and stands up for herself. Whether his love of art is genuine, or simply a desire to show off his wealth.

It's not always easy to know who people are, what motivates them, what inspires them to act, especially when we make assumptions about them based on first impressions.
Old Apr 21, 2015, 11:02 pm

Originally Posted by grumbler
OMG - that is funny. But the innermost circle of hell would have been Heartland next door, which unregrettably is no more.
Wow. A quick search proves you are right. Inevitable I guess.

It was hell but as long you kept your blinders on it could be a blast.
Old Apr 21, 2015, 11:11 pm

Originally Posted by trickless
I have similar issues when I dine at fine restaurants. My wife and I enjoyed an anniversary dinner at the French Laundry. There was a couple across from us staring at their cell phones for most of the meal. They barely made eye contact. I ate at another Bay Area Michelin starred restaurant where there were a group of men dressed casually, also using their mobiles to take selfies, etc. I realize that's a culturally new thing, but restraint is a strong enough virtue that it should always prevail. My read on this kind of behavior is that it's selfish and that it sends a message that devalues the experience for fellow diners. The analogy is a loudmouth in a movie theater. You're ruining the experience for others.
My wife and I do this sometimes. We also sometimes have long, meaningful talks that go on for hours. I'd frankly feel ridiculous consciously opting for one over the other because of the setting or who might be observing.

Side note, I read the New York Times. Like a lot. It's my main daily read. I read it more on my phone now but also sometimes still read the paper edition. The difference in reactions and assumptions from some people based on what medium I'm using can be pretty funny. Too some when I'm reading it on the phone I'm wasting my time, being self-absorbed or being rude. When I'm reading the paper version I'm just 'reading the paper' and it's all fine. Kinda weird.

Good thread. Really interesting.
Old Apr 21, 2015, 11:23 pm

I don't think the behavior and persona of guests necessarily has to do with money. Most of the time I try to seak out hotels and resorts that are more understatedly elegant, where wealth is not flaunted and people of all different backgrounds can be comfortable and enjoy themselves. I don't like to feel looked up and down by others, or feel the need to look others up and down.

Most of the time I am after resorts where I can leave the world behind and focus on fun activities, relaxation, spa treatments, and good food. Poorly behaved guests regardless of socioeconomic background can negatively affect the experience, particularly at resorts where one spends most or all of the time on property.
Old Apr 21, 2015, 11:41 pm

Location: my heart is on the shores of the north Italian lakes
Programs: LX Senator Lifetime, Relais&Chateaux Club5C, ex ! "Amanjunkie", ex LHW LC, hate chain hotels
Originally Posted by vuittonsofstyle
This phrase was used considerably at one point to describe unwelcome guests at hotels. It was thought, on the whole, that Amanresorts was very 'U' - i.e. people like us - but this, of course, has changed recently, in line with the new ownership.

I know that the 'U' and 'non-U' descriptions are politically incorrect nowadays, but if you think about it, what we all desire is to journey to a place that is co-occupied by 'people like us'. The trouble is, the world is increasingly full of people who are not at all like us, and there's the rub.
Post of the month Dear vuittonsofstyle, but the world is changing and we are not the latest generation.

Aman is dead and I have now good experiences heading to smaller less known properties and focusing on fine dining where I still can find "u". Just an example of such a property: Antumalal in Pucon, stuck in the fifties with guests to match. Would love to see them in the R&C.
Old Apr 22, 2015, 9:17 pm

Programs: BAEC, Delta SkyPesos, VS FC, SQ KF, AA, HHonors
Originally Posted by bhrubin
This discussion entertained me. Lixury hotels have all manner of guests of all styles, all levels of preferred dress, and all manners of expectations. The fact that one might be able to afford the room rate has little to do with the average customer...and that is increasingly true as more and more people from different places and customs visit luxury hotels.

I agree with a previous poster that any luxury hotel guest should be respectful to fellow guests and hotel staff, but that's just as true in budget hotels IMO.

For those who love dress codes at restaurants, I'm sorry to tell you that the world is changing--and I'm thankful for that. I've always wondered about how a less or better dressed group of diners at another table has any bearing on my experience at my table. To me, it's just pretension. It is Old World, and the old World still exists, of course. But far more restaurants and luxury hotels are evolving into the New World where jackets and ties are no longer the norm nor in any way needed for everyone who can afford such places. In the Old World, keeping up appearances was part of the class experience and a way to manage class distinction; in the New World, those distinctions are frowned upon, thankfully.

There will always be differences of opinion, of course...but I'm delighted that more and more diversity exists of all kinds in the luxury hotel and restaurant sector. The entire idea of "mediocre" guests makes me laugh...at those who would use such terms.
I don't think pretension is fading so much as changing. The clothing styles change, but the stratification of assets/lifestyle/consumption still exists. Most importantly, an implicit us v them sorting still occurs.

Enjoy the following ramble. This genre of topic triggers all sorts of thoughts for me.

I am happy to have stumbled on this topic, as it strikes near to my pet interests as a social "scientist" (academic people-watcher).

A luxury hotel can be a very...fey experience for me. One thing that hits me is when I see children and wonder what it would be like to grow up with these experiences. In childhood, my family could have been homeless given dad's bad habits (fortunately my mother worked out a deal with her father to use his mother's house). That I can afford them now on occasion is very much accidental, and I do often feel out of place despite having the right appearance. I haven't been in a French-fine dining restaurant in years, as I have little idea of what I am ordering. Example: I think I was 22 before I realised that Hollandaise sauce, which I had been avoiding, was blissfully cheese free! So many years of possible eggs-Benedict orders had been wasted!

Anyway, I really don't care about the demographics of a city hotel. Aside from breakfast and cocktail hour, I really don't have to deal with the other guests. Also, most are generally moving on in 2 or 4 days. I find that the clientèle matters more at resorts, as they hang around longer and the atmosphere is often more social.

I feel sorry for the young woman travelling with her father (German) who regaled all of us with his sexual exploits in Bangkok. My deepest sympathies though are reserved for the working girls... Also, who brings their 18 year old daughter along on a sex holiday?!

If any of us cross paths, I warn you that I do have a small armband tattoo patterned off of Anglo-Saxon/Sutton Hoo jewellery, to commemorate my happy years in the UK. I just want you to have your smelling salts prepared in advance. It can be a double shock for those who know me, but didn't know about the tattoo, realise that someone with a post-grad education and no substance abuse history can have one.

On another forum dedicated to my discipline, we were discussing appearances, perceptions, and the job market. It's amazing how certain traits can signal others, as evidenced in this thread. We had come up with: 1) thin, rich, smart, well-mannered; 2) poor, fat, dumb, loud.
Old Apr 22, 2015, 9:54 pm
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

My husband and I were enjoying a quiet meal at a charming Inn in the South of France. To our chagrin, our reverie was interrupted by a man speaking in a very loud, yet recognizable, voice. He was dining with a woman his age. At an adjacent table was his chauffeur.
The year was 1972. The Hotel was Columb'd'or in St. Paul de Vence and the man with the loud voice was Alfred Hitchcock.
Old Apr 23, 2015, 2:05 am
Suspended

Very simple:

If you have a problem with the term "mediocre crowds", you are one of them.

If you have a problem with mediocre crowds, you are one of us.

Quote from travelblog Gentleman Adventurer:

"Do not read my TRAVEL DIARY if you belong to the great unwashed, or to the average brainwashed, if you support mediocracy, or if you suffer from penis envy, tall-poppy-syndrome, crabs-in-the-bucket, or worse: janteloven."

Last edited by LuxuryRogue; Apr 23, 2015 at 1:14 pm Reason: adjacent posts by same person
Old Apr 23, 2015, 5:42 am
Aman Contributor Badge

Someone mentioned Service recovery for bad behaviour. We actually experienced something like that. We were in an Amanresort. In the villa next to ours a couple was having loud sex outside. When we heard that the second time in one day my husband went to talk to the management. Even our son have started to ask what kind of noise came from next door. They immediately moved us to another villa two categories up.
Old Apr 23, 2015, 6:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeSPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
Originally Posted by Musken
Someone mentioned Service recovery for bad behaviour. We actually experienced something like that. We were in an Amanresort. In the villa next to ours a couple was having loud sex outside. When we heard that the second time in one day my husband went to talk to the management. Even our son have started to ask what kind of noise came from next door. They immediately moved us to another villa two categories up.
Hey, other people pay for it

But yes, I know this prolem - can be very annoying
Old Apr 23, 2015, 8:03 am

Originally Posted by obscure2k
My husband and I were enjoying a quiet meal at a charming Inn in the South of France. To our chagrin, our reverie was interrupted by a man speaking in a very loud, yet recognizable, voice. He was dining with a woman his age. At an adjacent table was his chauffeur.
The year was 1972. The Hotel was Columb'd'or in St. Paul de Vence and the man with the loud voice was Alfred Hitchcock.
This was most likely Hitchcock's wife, Alma Reville, who had suffered a stroke a few months before this. In 1972 the Hitchcocks were on a European tour to promote his film, Frenzy.

The Colombe d'Or has always been a Hollywood watering hole, especially during the Cannes Film, Festival.
Old Apr 23, 2015, 9:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

obscure2k, great post!

Originally Posted by worldiswide
We were at the Oriental Bangkok about 10 years ago waiting for a group of our daughters college age friends meeting us...stopped by the doormen. We got up and met the doorman to let him know they were our guests. The attitude and treatment changed immediately.
"The attitude and treatment changed immediately."
and thats the problem, not whether theres dress code

Originally Posted by chicagocat
My 8 yr old daughter was shocked to see a young man dressed in his pajamas at a very nice hotel club lounge recently, it was about 5:30pm. She politely inquired of him: "Are you the DJ?" Oh, kids.... They say the darnedest things!
Originally Posted by Musken
In the villa next to ours a couple was having loud sex outside...our son have started to ask what kind of noise came from next door.
in a related thread to this thread >
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/luxur...ury-hotel.html >

Originally Posted by luxury
Son replies loudly: "Yah, but they've got PlayStation and Steve's Mom and Dad don't make weird noises like you and Dad do!!"

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; May 13, 2015 at 3:31 pm
Old Apr 23, 2015, 4:23 pm

Originally Posted by callmedtop
I have to ask, what is it about drinking a Coke is so terrible? I don't drink and I often order a Coke, even at Michelin-starred restaurants, because I enjoy the taste. No, I'm not dressed in sneakers and t-shirts, but why throw in the Coke reference?

Probably coke was the best thing on the wine list of this only 2 Michelin starr. Hihihihi
Old Apr 23, 2015, 4:32 pm

Programs: BAEC, Delta SkyPesos, VS FC, SQ KF, AA, HHonors
Originally Posted by LuxuryRogue
Very simple:

If you have a problem with the term "mediocre crowds", you are one of them.

If you have a problem with mediocre crowds, you are one of us.

Quote from travelblog Gentleman Adventurer:

"Do not read my TRAVEL DIARY if you belong to the great unwashed, or to the average brainwashed, if you support mediocracy, or if you suffer from penis envy, tall-poppy-syndrome, crabs-in-the-bucket, or worse: janteloven."
Interesting...

I also want to give something back to the traveller community, because I know how hard it is to find reliable, on-the-ground info, even in times of the internet. Most of the online forums like Flyertalk, Horizons Unlimited or Wuestenschiff are frequented by couch potatoes, trolls or even disinformation agents who give a lot of inaccurate info, especially about so-called danger zones, and are a waste of time for the big boys.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.