Mediocre crowds at luxury hotels

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Mediocre crowds at luxury hotels

Search this Thread

Old Apr 17, 2015, 5:01 pm
Original Member

Interesting discussion, especially sociologically.

In the last twenty years Jim and I usually abide in luxury hotels and resorts. Although we may be the sort some here would prefer not to encounter; we're both from the U.S. (but I was born and raised in Panama), we're 72 and 65, I am rotund, Jim is not, we're not suave but put ourselves together well and know how to behave. I don't usually squeal. I try to speak as much native language as I can (bilingual English/Spanish). Yes, I probably smile too much and way too widely but I am interested in responding kindly. I smile extravagantly broadly when I haven't a clue what is being said.

We try not to ooh and ahh too much but so enjoy our travels that we are pretty damn transparent. I gesticulate a lot (Latin influence).

Jim recently has been diagnosed with Alzheimer's (semi early stages) and I am not letting this get in the way of our travels as long as he enjoys them.

Last edited by KatW; Apr 17, 2015 at 5:11 pm
Old Apr 17, 2015, 5:02 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by KatW
Interesting discussion, especially sociologically. In the last twenty years Jim and usually abide in luxury hotels and resorts. Although we may be the sort some here would prefer not to encounter; we're both from the U.S. (But I was born and raised in Panama), we're 72 and 65, I am rotund, Jim is not, we're not suave but put ourselves together well and know how to behave. I don't usually squeal. I try to speak as much native language as I can (bilingual English/Spanish). Yes, I probably smile too much and way too widely but I am interested in responding kindly. I smile extravagantly broadly when I haven't a clue what is being said.

We try not to ooh and ahh too much but so enjoy our travels that we are pretty damn transparent. I gesticulate a lot (Latin influence).

Jim recently has been diagnosed with Alzheimer's (semi early stages) and I am not letting this get in the way of our travels as long as he enjoys them.
Love this attitude
Old Apr 17, 2015, 5:08 pm
Original Member

Pickles, I agree with you and Sartre most often, hell is other people ( and their children).

Last edited by KatW; Apr 17, 2015 at 5:45 pm
Old Apr 17, 2015, 5:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAdvantage Executive Platinum, Delta Silver Medallion, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador
KatW, You are the sort of traveler I aspire to be, and long to be around.
Old Apr 17, 2015, 5:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: No programs & No Points!!!
Originally Posted by gohima
For me, guests that keep to themselves and don't bother others are the perfect crowd. Also, basic manners and being polite to everyone, including hotel staff.

Sleazebags and hookers be damned, if you are not disturbing others, its none of my business..
First paragraph is what I like but I don't really care who is at a hotel.

You need a sleazebag or at least 1 hooker to amuse yourself as you watch their antics in the lobby etc!
Old Apr 17, 2015, 5:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: No programs & No Points!!!
Originally Posted by KatW
Interesting discussion, especially sociologically.

In the last twenty years Jim and I usually abide in luxury hotels and resorts. Although we may be the sort some here would prefer not to encounter; we're both from the U.S. (but I was born and raised in Panama), we're 72 and 65, I am rotund, Jim is not, we're not suave but put ourselves together well and know how to behave. I don't usually squeal. I try to speak as much native language as I can (bilingual English/Spanish). Yes, I probably smile too much and way too widely but I am interested in responding kindly. I smile extravagantly broadly when I haven't a clue what is being said.

Nothing wrong with who you are or how you travel! You wouldn't bother me! Enjoy!
Old Apr 17, 2015, 8:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Lifetime Diamond, CX Gold, Mrs. Pickles travels for free
Originally Posted by MikeFromTokyo
The crowd at the bar on the sixth floor is pretty bad as well, perhaps the innermost circle of hell? That or breakfast at the "French Kitchen"...
Now that you mention it, the last time I stayed there a couple of weeks back, I avoided all three of those hell pop-up locations. But one I couldn't avoid (if I didn't want to end up hanging out with Lucifer in the afterlife) was Nagomi. And that too was a less than divine experience. What compels young parents to bring their unruly, annoying devil-spawn creatures to an indoor pool in a city hotel that explicitly bans children under 5?
Old Apr 17, 2015, 8:44 pm

Originally Posted by Pausanias
At the Lanesborough, London, we were dining at the ** Michelin restaurant and made an effort to dress up little. Not a tie for me, but smart casual with Ferragano flooring, And at the next table was a couple in T-shirts, shorts and sneakers drinking Coke.
I have similar issues when I dine at fine restaurants. My wife and I enjoyed an anniversary dinner at the French Laundry. There was a couple across from us staring at their cell phones for most of the meal. They barely made eye contact. I ate at another Bay Area Michelin starred restaurant where there were a group of men dressed casually, also using their mobiles to take selfies, etc. I realize that's a culturally new thing, but restraint is a strong enough virtue that it should always prevail. My read on this kind of behavior is that it's selfish and that it sends a message that devalues the experience for fellow diners. The analogy is a loudmouth in a movie theater. You're ruining the experience for others.
Old Apr 17, 2015, 8:58 pm

Originally Posted by trickless
I have similar issues when I dine at fine restaurants. My wife and I enjoyed an anniversary dinner at the French Laundry. There was a couple across from us staring at their cell phones for most of the meal. They barely made eye contact. I ate at another Bay Area Michelin starred restaurant where there were a group of men dressed casually, also using their mobiles to take selfies, etc. I realize that's a culturally new thing, but restraint is a strong enough virtue that it should always prevail. My read on this kind of behavior is that it's selfish and that it sends a message that devalues the experience for fellow diners. The analogy is a loudmouth in a movie theater. You're ruining the experience for others.
But see, this I don't understand. How does the couple's behavior affect your enjoyment? From what you've described they're sitting there actually NOT making any noise. And for those men, casual does not necessarily equate to inappropriate. And if they're enjoying themselves taking selfies, again I ask, how does that affect your enjoyment? What's wrong with these men wanting to document their dining experience at a Michelin starred restaurant? It could have been a special occasion they wanted to remember. Unless they were hooting and hollering, let them be.
Old Apr 17, 2015, 9:15 pm
BLV

Originally Posted by purplestraw
But see, this I don't understand. How does the couple's behavior affect your enjoyment? From what you've described they're sitting there actually NOT making any noise. And for those men, casual does not necessarily equate to inappropriate. And if they're enjoying themselves taking selfies, again I ask, how does that affect your enjoyment?
Agreed, unless flash is involved

For me, the most important thing about "crowds" (aside from the fact that I'd prefer there were none) is that noise level is down and no one is interfering with what I'm doing by being loud/obnoxious, especially when kids are involved. Way too many people don't realize how much better they'd come off if only they took the volume down a notch. Sure, I see you ordering Smirnoff at 11am, but don't scream the order across the beach. And yeah, I see that you're a Kardashian clone, but that phone conversation using the "signature" vocal fry is worse than nails across the chalkboard + no one needs to hear every single detail of what's currently going on in your life
Old Apr 17, 2015, 9:35 pm

But see, this I don't understand. How does the couple's behavior affect your enjoyment? From what you've described they're sitting there actually NOT making any noise.
True that they were not. And I probably shouldn't have been annoyed, but I do feel there are proper behaviors that align with certain surroundings. If you were invited to the White House for dinner, would you wear shorts? What if someone else did? Would you be able to completely ignore it, or would it distract you? If this couple were silent and nude (thankfully they were not), should I also have been able to ignore them easily?

And for those men, casual does not necessarily equate to inappropriate. And if they're enjoying themselves taking selfies, again I ask, how does that affect your enjoyment? What's wrong with these men wanting to document their dining experience at a Michelin starred restaurant? It could have been a special occasion they wanted to remember. Unless they were hooting and hollering, let them be.
I did let them be, incidentally. They were not hooting and hollering but weren't quiet, either. And I didn't say anything, I just found it in poor taste.

Perhaps it's a generational thing, but I'm a youngish guy. So maybe I'm just too uptight about my dining experiences. And to revert back on topic, perhaps we're all a bit too uptight about our lodging experiences as well.
Old Apr 18, 2015, 2:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by Pickles
Now that you mention it, the last time I stayed there a couple of weeks back, I avoided all three of those hell pop-up locations. But one I couldn't avoid (if I didn't want to end up hanging out with Lucifer in the afterlife) was Nagomi. And that too was a less than divine experience. What compels young parents to bring their unruly, annoying devil-spawn creatures to an indoor pool in a city hotel that explicitly bans children under 5?
I grieve with thee.
It's a universal constant from Park Hyatt Busan to Grand Hyatt Erawan.
Old Apr 18, 2015, 5:59 am
DSI
formerly declinespecificinformatiom

"Perhaps it's a generational thing, but I'm a youngish guy. So maybe I'm just too uptight about my dining experiences. And to revert back on topic, perhaps we're all a bit too uptight about our lodging experiences as well."

The only thing I get annoyed with is being guests who are too uptight or have a snarl on their face. I generally find the Russian partiers to be quite fun and'll share a drink with them.

I'm still surprised that so many people dislike kids. I just assume that those types are just bigoted people in general and/or in over their head in paying for the hotel/dinner.

My travel plans--though not exactly coming to fruition--are to go to laid back environments like the Coppola resorts in Belize. Hence, the thread I'm starting with "laid back luxury."
Old Apr 18, 2015, 6:23 am

This might be the place to spin a little yarn. My wife and I were staying at the Ocean Club in the Bahamas. During our stay the room next to us had been totally trashed by a guest - everything had been wrecked, the the minibar looted.

On the day of our departure, I asked the concierge to set us up with an airport transfer and when he knew our flight details he asked if we might share a car with another couple. We didn't mind that at all.

It was a vast stretch limo and the other couple looked like this - he was about 35, in a snappy grey suit and no tie. She looked about 18, skinny as a rake, and a bit spacey to be honest. We were a bit older than they were. Anyway, we all climbed in the car.

He asked if we liked the hotel. We did. This evolved into a prolonged talk about hotels and it transpired that he had rented a villa at Amanpuri for six months earlier that year. He'd also been to all the Bali Amans for long stays. He did talk quite a bit but I was too polite to ask him what he did for a living.

We were flying BA economy. He was flying BA First Class. His girl (who hadn't uttered a word) was flying Business. As there was no lounge for people at the front of the plane they joined us in the coffee shop at Nassau airport and our little chat continued. He wasn't at all familiar yet he was somehow hypnotic. All this travelling, all these hotels, obviously a lot of money. And when we said our goodbyes as we went to board the plane his girlfriend gave him the most incredible look which said -

They don't know who you are.

And we didn't. Still don't.
Old Apr 18, 2015, 10:41 am

That's a fantastic story, Pausanias, thank you for sharing.

And trickless, I'd hardly compare a State Dinner at the White House with the French Laundry.

We've been incredibly fortunate to dine at some of the "best" (whatever that actually means) restaurants in the world - Noma, El Cellar, etc etc - and most do not even require jackets.

To get back on topic - I'm fine with most any sartorial choice(s), and people having a good time. If they're being obnoxiously loud that can be annoying, though.

For the most part, I take it all in stride ... people watching is entertaining.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.