Reload this Page >

the luxury hotels of Venice

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

the luxury hotels of Venice

Search this Thread

Old Jul 26, 2017, 7:59 pm

Any tips on best way to book the Gritti Redentore suite for 2-3 nights?

Ideal would be a 2 class from the Heritage suite, but price discrepancy is pretty large...

I guess I would try to have FHR confirm speak to hotel?
Old Jul 26, 2017, 8:09 pm
Original Poster
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: Virtuoso, FSPP, STARS, MO FAN Club, PEN Club, Bellini Club, Dorchester Diamond Club, Travel Leaders
Not likely that an FHR agent would know how to go that extra mile (or be disposed to). You'll likely have more success working with one of the Virtuoso agents on FlyerTalk.

That being said, upgrading from a Heritage Suite (which doesn't have a Canal View) into the Redentore Suite is highly unlikely, as it's a one-of-a-kind suite with a 250 sqm rooftop terrace with a fabulous view. I'm guessing the inventory is pretty closely guarded.
Old Aug 16, 2017, 11:56 pm

Originally Posted by DavidO
Not likely that an FHR agent would know how to go that extra mile (or be disposed to). You'll likely have more success working with one of the Virtuoso agents on FlyerTalk.

That being said, upgrading from a Heritage Suite (which doesn't have a Canal View) into the Redentore Suite is highly unlikely, as it's a one-of-a-kind suite with a 250 sqm rooftop terrace with a fabulous view. I'm guessing the inventory is pretty closely guarded.

David, thank you for your advice.

The Redentore Suite ended up selling out while I was negotiating, but I managed an amazing rate for the heritage by communicating with the hotel directly. The hotel also gave significant upgrades to 2 couples staying with me, and overall the service was probably the best I've ever experienced.

I shall add that in Venice there is a high suites-to-room ratio, and in typical Italian fashion it is quite common for them to oversell base categories, so upgrades are highly negotiable.

Having stayed this summer at the Westin, Danieli, & Gritti, it is criminal to include them in the same league. The gritti renovated all rooms and is arms and shoulder above the others. I would not consider the Danieli or Westin anymore at all.

The Gritti is now one of my favorite hotels in the world, but there is something to be said for the Aman (peace and privacy), and the Cipriani for the resort facilities.

The Gritti is in fact nice enough to change my entire perspective of Venice (being that I hate going around there and prefer staying on property/short direct water taxi trips).

Posting now from Capella S'pore on FHR 3for2 with a nice upgrade to villa, having already been to Hotel Du Cap on the way (also spoke w hotel directly and booked into a superior room which was 'not available' originally.
SanDiego1K and bhrubin like this.
Old Aug 17, 2017, 12:49 am
Suspended
Marriott 25+ BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by HumbleBee
Having stayed this summer at the Westin, Danieli, & Gritti, it is criminal to include them in the same league. The gritti renovated all rooms and is arms and shoulder above the others. I would not consider the Danieli or Westin anymore at all.

The Gritti is now one of my favorite hotels in the world, but there is something to be said for the Aman (peace and privacy), and the Cipriani for the resort facilities.

The Gritti is in fact nice enough to change my entire perspective of Venice (being that I hate going around there and prefer staying on property/short direct water taxi trips).
I'm so glad to hear that the Gritti Palace is still delivering such an outstanding experience. We also had a truly sublime stay at the Gritti in Oct 2016--and we gladly would stay again in a heartbeat.

My review:

http://www.flyertalk.com/hotel-revie...e-upgrade-1632

We also toured and had lunch at the Aman Grand Canal, as we are big fans of Aman. It is a very beautiful property. But we found service to be very comparable at the Gritti. We vastly preferred the Gritti's amazing Riva bar experience every night right on the Grand Canal, something the Aman lacks. We also loved the Gritti location and found it a bit more convenient for all we enjoyed in the city. We therefore wouldn't think twice about staying again at the Gritti over the Aman...even as much as we also love Aman. Dollar for dollar, we found the Gritti to be the better bet for us.

I just included the Gritti as one of our favorite hotels of all time, in fact. Please note that my list also includes Amanjiwo, Amangiri, and Amankila!

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/28680884-post203.html

Originally Posted by bhrubin
I'll bite again. These are not only the best and most amazing places where we've stayed, but also the only places to which I'd consistently consider returning.

Amanjiwo, Indonesia
Singita Boulders, South Africa
Taj Umaid Bhawan Palace, India
Amangiri, USA
The Upper House, Hong Kong
Peninsula Shanghai, China
Gritti Palace, Italy
La Residence, South Africa
Amankila, Indonesia
Cavas Wine Lodge, Argentina
Cayo Espanto, Belize
St. Regis San Francisco, USA
submonte likes this.

Last edited by bhrubin; Aug 17, 2017 at 12:55 am
Old Aug 17, 2017, 1:12 am

Thats a very fair and accurate review. I personally am not an Aman fan as I prefer the hustle and bustle in larger hotels (with some privacy in room).

I find the dollar for dollar value at Aman to be usually at the base level where you get more space without depending on upgrades etc.
bhrubin likes this.
Old Aug 17, 2017, 8:01 am

Programs: Delta GM, Amex Reserve, Amex Plat, JP Morgan Palladium
My family recently stayed at the Ca Sagredo. It is a wonderful value choice for luxury in Venice. We got upgraded to a connecting pair of Art suites which were fabulous. They were both completely covered with 500 year old frescoes. Amazing.
damon88 and bhrubin like this.
Old Nov 2, 2018, 5:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeSPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
Originally Posted by Valveking
My family recently stayed at the Ca Sagredo. It is a wonderful value choice for luxury in Venice. We got upgraded to a connecting pair of Art suites which were fabulous. They were both completely covered with 500 year old frescoes. Amazing.
Anyone else stayed recently? It's 1/3 of the Aman price for a Historic Suite.
Old Nov 3, 2018, 4:42 am
Suspended
Aman Contributor BadgeMarriott 25+ Badge

Originally Posted by offerendum
Anyone else stayed recently? It's 1/3 of the Aman price for a Historic Suite.
We never stayed nor visited, but my research made me very interested in Ca Sagredo. Had it not been for the Gritti being so incredible and available via SPG, we likely would have considered a Historical Suite there. As it’s part of the Small Luxury Hotels group that just recently allied with Hyatt, it’s also possible in a few months that Hyatt or Chase UR points may provide other options.
damon88 and offerendum like this.
Old Nov 3, 2018, 12:29 pm

Husband and I stayed at the Hotel Londra Palace. It was an easy five minute walk to St. Mark’s Square. We had a lovely view of the canal. I did not like that the bathroom had to be reached via a set of stairs. The room seemed a bit gaudy, but I thought that might be the Venetian style. The breakfast buffet was lovely.
Old Nov 12, 2018, 11:25 pm

I'm so glad to hear that the Gritti Palace is still delivering such an outstanding experience. We also had a truly sublime stay at the Gritti in Oct 2016--and we gladly would stay again in a heartbeat.

My review:

http://www.flyertalk.com/hotel-revie...e-upgrade-1632

We also toured and had lunch at the Aman Grand Canal, as we are big fans of Aman. It is a very beautiful property. But we found service to be very comparable at the Gritti. We vastly preferred the Gritti's amazing Riva bar experience every night right on the Grand Canal, something the Aman lacks. We also loved the Gritti location and found it a bit more convenient for all we enjoyed in the city. We therefore wouldn't think twice about staying again at the Gritti over the Aman...even as much as we also love Aman. Dollar for dollar, we found the Gritti to be the better bet for us.

I just included the Gritti as one of our favorite hotels of all time, in fact. Please note that my list also includes Amanjiwo, Amangiri, and Amankila!

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/28680884-post203.html
Stayed at the AMAN Venice last year in Spring in the Madalena Stanza with Canal views and it was the highlight of my trip. Wish I had also tried the Gritti during my stay in Venice. I went to Danieli for a meal and service was horrible. Not bad but horrible. Have you tried staying there? Would be curious of your opinion!
BESVISOR likes this.
Old Nov 12, 2018, 11:32 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Kimchi278
Stayed at the AMAN Venice last year in Spring in the Madalena Stanza with Canal views and it was the highlight of my trip. Wish I had also tried the Gritti during my stay in Venice. I went to Danieli for a meal and service was horrible. Not bad but horrible. Have you tried staying there? Would be curious of your opinion!
Glad to hear you so enjoyed the Aman!

We had a wonderful lunch at the Danieli’s rooftop terrace restaurant while staying at the Gritti. The Danieli seemed to be a very nice hotel, but not quite in the same league as the Gritti and Aman IMO.

Old Nov 13, 2018, 8:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
SPG 5+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
Now booked the Sebastiano Ricci Suite at Ca Sagredo. GF didn't like the Aman style and their entire room is nearly the triple price. Same with a suite at Gritti. I will report.
Old Nov 13, 2018, 8:38 am
formerly htang333
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: Virtuoso, Top Ranked: Four Seasons (Top 25 Advisor), AMAN (Top 50), Rosewood, Hyatt Prive, etc.
Ready for the Rosewood to open in 2020
Old Nov 13, 2018, 10:41 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by offerendum
Now booked the Sebastiano Ricci Suite at Ca Sagredo. GF didn't like the Aman style and their entire room is nearly the triple price. Same with a suite at Gritti. I will report.
Please do! I've heard good things.

Also, be aware that Ca Segrado is a member of SLH, which is partnering with Hyatt and therefore might be available to book using Hyatt points (and/or to earn Hyatt points) by end of 2018.
Old Nov 13, 2018, 11:42 am
SPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, Lifetime Titanium, Delta Plat, Hilton Diamond , Hyatt Globalist

Glad to hear you so enjoyed the Aman!

We had a wonderful lunch at the Danieli’s rooftop terrace restaurant while staying at the Gritti. The Danieli seemed to be a very nice hotel, but not quite in the same league as the Gritti and Aman IMO.

I think we have stayed at the Danieli 6 times over the past 15 years. Our only disappointing stay was our last one in October 2017. It wasn’t the room (they upgraded us to a suite with a fabulous lagoon view- although the room did feel a bit “tired” compared to rooms we had in the past). The breakfasts on the terrace were fantastic. The service was efficient. The lobby was impressive as always.

But there were 2 things that really bothered us and detracted from our stay. First- the staff felt really different than they ever had in the past. The adjective that came to mind was one I never thought to apply to hotel staff- Sad! Everyone felt depressed and unhappy and believe me, I understand why Venetians are having a difficult time. But the melancholy mood was something we had never encountered traveling and it definitely marred our stay. Second- in the past we always had avoided the crowds and chaos people complain about when staying in that part of Venice by traveling off season (late October or early November). This time we had worse luck. Perhaps it was the Biennale, or increased cruise ships, or just the record global tourism we’ve experienced the last few years.

At any rate, we sadly bid goodbye to the Danieli and vowed to stay at Gritti from now on.
bhrubin likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.