FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - the luxury hotels of Venice
View Single Post
Old Aug 16, 2017, 11:56 pm
HumbleBee

Originally Posted by DavidO
Not likely that an FHR agent would know how to go that extra mile (or be disposed to). You'll likely have more success working with one of the Virtuoso agents on FlyerTalk.

That being said, upgrading from a Heritage Suite (which doesn't have a Canal View) into the Redentore Suite is highly unlikely, as it's a one-of-a-kind suite with a 250 sqm rooftop terrace with a fabulous view. I'm guessing the inventory is pretty closely guarded.

David, thank you for your advice.

The Redentore Suite ended up selling out while I was negotiating, but I managed an amazing rate for the heritage by communicating with the hotel directly. The hotel also gave significant upgrades to 2 couples staying with me, and overall the service was probably the best I've ever experienced.

I shall add that in Venice there is a high suites-to-room ratio, and in typical Italian fashion it is quite common for them to oversell base categories, so upgrades are highly negotiable.

Having stayed this summer at the Westin, Danieli, & Gritti, it is criminal to include them in the same league. The gritti renovated all rooms and is arms and shoulder above the others. I would not consider the Danieli or Westin anymore at all.

The Gritti is now one of my favorite hotels in the world, but there is something to be said for the Aman (peace and privacy), and the Cipriani for the resort facilities.

The Gritti is in fact nice enough to change my entire perspective of Venice (being that I hate going around there and prefer staying on property/short direct water taxi trips).

Posting now from Capella S'pore on FHR 3for2 with a nice upgrade to villa, having already been to Hotel Du Cap on the way (also spoke w hotel directly and booked into a superior room which was 'not available' originally.