FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - the luxury hotels of Venice
View Single Post
Old Nov 13, 2018, 11:42 am
damon88

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, Lifetime Titanium, Delta Plat, Hilton Diamond , Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by bhrubin

Glad to hear you so enjoyed the Aman!

We had a wonderful lunch at the Danieli’s rooftop terrace restaurant while staying at the Gritti. The Danieli seemed to be a very nice hotel, but not quite in the same league as the Gritti and Aman IMO.

I think we have stayed at the Danieli 6 times over the past 15 years. Our only disappointing stay was our last one in October 2017. It wasn’t the room (they upgraded us to a suite with a fabulous lagoon view- although the room did feel a bit “tired” compared to rooms we had in the past). The breakfasts on the terrace were fantastic. The service was efficient. The lobby was impressive as always.

But there were 2 things that really bothered us and detracted from our stay. First- the staff felt really different than they ever had in the past. The adjective that came to mind was one I never thought to apply to hotel staff- Sad! Everyone felt depressed and unhappy and believe me, I understand why Venetians are having a difficult time. But the melancholy mood was something we had never encountered traveling and it definitely marred our stay. Second- in the past we always had avoided the crowds and chaos people complain about when staying in that part of Venice by traveling off season (late October or early November). This time we had worse luck. Perhaps it was the Biennale, or increased cruise ships, or just the record global tourism we’ve experienced the last few years.

At any rate, we sadly bid goodbye to the Danieli and vowed to stay at Gritti from now on.