Community
Wiki Posts
Search

the luxury hotels of Venice

Search this Thread

Old Nov 13, 2019, 3:55 pm
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

Originally Posted by Pausanias
The BBC today specifically mentions the Gritti as being totally flooded on the ground floor. Shocking photos of the city. I know this has happened before and in 1966 the levels were marginally higher than they are today.
There is generally time to allow for preparations when a flood of this magnitude occurs. Hoteliers I have spoken to say that they move their most precious carpets and furniture to the upper floors.
Old Nov 13, 2019, 5:13 pm

Programs: QF CL
Originally Posted by GUWonder
I've always been partial to staying at the Danieli and Gritti hotels.

When was the last time either one or both of these two hotels had flooded lobbies?

With rising sea levels over time, I can't but help to expect that this kind of stuff will become increasingly frequent in the coming years.
When we were in Venice in mid 2016, we stayed at the Danieli and the lobby flooded in an unseasonal king tide.
Old Nov 14, 2019, 3:58 am

Tragic scenes - -

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-50416306
Old Nov 14, 2019, 9:06 am
Suspended

Programs: Many
Headed to the Gritti on Dec 11th, no planned closure due to water damage right?
Old Nov 14, 2019, 9:12 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by GetSetJetSet
Headed to the Gritti on Dec 11th, no planned closure due to water damage right?
Unclear. The lobby will be a mess and ground level restaurants and other facilities might need to close for restoration. I'd expect a luxury hotel to close for such work rather than offering a much less than ideal experience to guests. A lot will depend on the nature of the work needing to be done and how quickly it can be finished. Skilled workers are likely to be in short supply around Venice, and there might be historical preservation requirements to complicate what needs to be done.
Old Nov 14, 2019, 12:08 pm

Another exceptionally high tide due tonight . . . I expect Venice to be virtually closed for a year or more after this.
Old Nov 14, 2019, 12:30 pm
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

Another exceptionally high tide due tonight . . . I expect Venice to be virtually closed for a year or more after this.
I respectfully disagree with this post and the previous post.
I have close friends who manage hotels in Venice. One of my friend's manages 3 hotels, said two of their 4 star hotels are open. The only one which is temporarily closed is their small hotel which is next to Piazza San Marco. The Gritti's damage is likely confined to the ground floor which contains the reception area. A close look at the Gritti Reception area shows water but also shows the reception desk which is dry enough to read the newspaper sitting on the desk. There are no rooms on the ground floor. The public areas; bar and restaurant will likely be quickly cleaned up. I saw dozens of photographs of Venice today and the water has receded quite a bit. Shops are beginning to open, some news kiosks are open. Definitely not an idea situation but Venetians are prepared for this and move on. The city will not be closed. They have seen this before and have always survived. Venetians are very resilient. .
Pierre&Cédric likes this.
Old Nov 14, 2019, 1:48 pm
SPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, Lifetime Titanium, Delta Plat, Hilton Diamond , Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by obscure2k
I respectfully disagree with this post and the previous post.
I have close friends who manage hotels in Venice. One of my friend's manages 3 hotels, said two of their 4 star hotels are open. The only one which is temporarily closed is their small hotel which is next to Piazza San Marco. The Gritti's damage is likely confined to the ground floor which contains the reception area. A close look at the Gritti Reception area shows water but also shows the reception desk which is dry enough to read the newspaper sitting on the desk. There are no rooms on the ground floor. The public areas; bar and restaurant will likely be quickly cleaned up. I saw dozens of photographs of Venice today and the water has receded quite a bit. Shops are beginning to open, some news kiosks are open. Definitely not an idea situation but Venetians are prepared for this and move on. The city will not be closed. They have seen this before and have always survived. Venetians are very resilient. .

Gritti Palace posted this

You are correct- we were at the Danieli years ago during a severe Acqua Alta that lasted for 2-3 days. The entire lobby was under water. We were amazed at how smoothly the hotel handled it- rolling up rugs and moving furnishings in anticipation and then reassembling after the water receded.
Old Nov 15, 2019, 1:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
SPG 5+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
Floods are not unusual in Venice and many things were built with this in mind.Nevertheless such a flood is not the usual level. They will need some new painting, new tapestry and a lot of cleaning. More frightening are potential structural damages for example at San Marco.
Old Apr 16, 2020, 5:15 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, SPG Gold. I share these affiliations so that you can ask me questions about the programs
Cipriani

Has anyone been to the Cipriani recently?

I am also considering the Kempinski.

As we would like a pool for the kids to enjoy in the late afternoon those are the two options we are considering.

How I wish there was a Four Seasons in Venice (and Rome).
Old Apr 17, 2020, 3:39 am

Originally Posted by Goodmorning2U
Has anyone been to the Cipriani recently I am also considering the Kempinski. As we would like a pool for the kids to enjoy in the late afternoon those are the two options we are considering. How I wish there was a Four Seasons in Venice (and Rome).
I doubt if anyone has been to the Cipriani recently as it never reopened after it closed last year for the winter. Also, I can't see what benefit a Four Seasons would be here. Chains already well represented by the Gritti and the St Regis. And I can't see the Four Seasons going for a pool if they ever did find a property in Venice. I'm sure they would want to renovate some grand palazzo. The old 'Death in Venice' Hotel des Bains on the Lido might be an option, however.

Personally, I can't see any hotels in Venice opening for three months at least. And even if they did, getting there might be impossible. I can't see any point in planning anything until 2021.
obscure2k likes this.

Last edited by Pausanias; Apr 17, 2020 at 4:13 am
Old Apr 17, 2020, 3:56 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by Goodmorning2U
Has anyone been to the Cipriani recently?

I am also considering the Kempinski.

As we would like a pool for the kids to enjoy in the late afternoon those are the two options we are considering.

How I wish there was a Four Seasons in Venice (and Rome).
Um, when are you considering travelling to Venice?
offerendum likes this.
Old Apr 17, 2020, 4:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
SPG 5+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
Personally, I can't see any hotels in Venice opening for three months at least. And even if they did, getting there might be impossible. I can't see any point in planning anything until 2021.
At least I see no chance for my trip in July
Old Apr 17, 2020, 9:58 am

I doubt if anyone has been to the Cipriani recently as it never reopened after it closed last year for the winter. Also, I can't see what benefit a Four Seasons would be here. Chains already well represented by the Gritti and the St Regis. And I can't see the Four Seasons going for a pool if they ever did find a property in Venice. I'm sure they would want to renovate some grand palazzo. The old 'Death in Venice' Hotel des Bains on the Lido might be an option, however.

Interestingly, Four Seasons did consider the hotels on the Lido at one time, including the Excelsior. Then they considered San Clemente Palace, but because of its short season and small number of suites, declined it. They only looked at prorperties that had pools, so the choice was limited. I think they may have given up.
Goodmorning2U and offerendum like this.
Old Apr 17, 2020, 3:58 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, SPG Gold. I share these affiliations so that you can ask me questions about the programs
If anyone has been to the Cipriani within the last two years feedback would be helpful.

I liked the Gritti when I stayed there but felt Four Seasons service standards where higher, when I stayed there several years.

If there is a choice between a Four Seasons and a St. Regis, I prefer Four Seasons.

I am hoping to go in July but know I might have to change my plans.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.