THE Hotel not to be missed

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

THE Hotel not to be missed

Search this Thread

Old Mar 22, 2012, 3:52 pm
Original Poster

Programs: millemiglia - milesmore- spg - goldpassport - priority club- the leader club - others
Originally Posted by 5khours
Having thought about this for several days, I can't narrow it down to one yet so for now until I make up my mind, my candidates in alphabetical order are:

Amanpulo
Amanpuri
Cipriani
Yellowstone Club
Since the moment i started writing this thread I had the sensation that surely someone was going to name one of the top property in Venice....
This reinforce in me the idea that to be unique and/or to be considered "special" for someone THE Hotel should be somehow perfectly integrate within the environment and reflect part of its culture/history.

I'm thinking of a fantastic hotel in Venice that might be among the favorite of many people that, but as Kage said, it is not anymore as brilliant as it deserves to be....
Old Mar 22, 2012, 3:54 pm
Original Poster

Programs: millemiglia - milesmore- spg - goldpassport - priority club- the leader club - others
Originally Posted by vuittonsofstyle
Impossible to answer - it depends where I have just been to. If pushed, I would say, generically, Aman.
Oh well....i know it's hard; but may I insist and ask for your very valuable opinion about THE Hotel?
Old Mar 22, 2012, 4:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by The_Daddy
as Kage said, it is not anymore as brilliant as it deserves to be
referring to >
Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
...whats closing or losing management or at risk of same?...there might be other (integral) parts of hotels that change?...could include offerings where there has been discussion of ending
Oh well....i know it's hard; but may I insist and ask for your very valuable opinion about THE Hotel?
or >
Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
what would be biggest loss if closed
i came up with one other way of wording, but i wont post it just yet

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Mar 23, 2012 at 10:15 am
Old Mar 22, 2012, 4:06 pm

Programs: AA EXP, A3 Gold
Katikies, Santorini.
Old Mar 22, 2012, 4:11 pm

Programs: UA GS>1K>Nothing; DL DM 2MM; AS 75K>Nothing>MVP
Since the moment i started writing this thread I had the sensation that surely someone was going to name one of the top property in Venice....
This reinforce in me the idea that to be unique and/or to be considered "special" for someone THE Hotel should be somehow perfectly integrate within the environment and reflect part of its culture/history.

I'm thinking of a fantastic hotel in Venice that might be among the favorite of many people that, but as Kage said, it is not anymore as brilliant as it deserves to be....
Which property do you like in Venice? I've stayed at Gritti, Danieli, and Cipriani. For me Cipriani was very special, but I can see how for some people Danieli might be THE Hotel.

I like your description of perfectly integrating within the environment. In that respect, Amanpuri gets very high marks in my book. Amanpulo on the other hand has such a beautiful environment to start with, you could put tar paper shacks there and it would still be near the top of my list.
Old Mar 22, 2012, 4:57 pm

ty warner suite @ the FS NYC is ^
Old Mar 22, 2012, 6:26 pm

I think this is a great thread as what is being judged is more than just the product, however amazing, but almost more the essence of a place. I choose Feltrinelli because despite visiting many many superb properties much more recently since (including several Aman's - Amanpulo twice in the last year alone) the place that immediately jumped into my head and stayed there throughout my internal thought process was Villa Feltrinelli although it was 6 or 7 years ago that we went there.

I remember a feeling of ease, relaxation, reflection and of course utter, utter comfort and beauty of surroundings during our stay there that can make me feel at peace just thinking about it now all these years later! Now it may have been circumstantial, connected to the timing of my trip there (for example my visits to Amanpulo have always been with children in tow and whilst i love holidaying with them it is never as relaxing as those pre-children trips!) so i guess i'll just have to get back there soon to test that out, but something about that property just makes it stand out amongst many jewels as THE hotel for me!
Old Mar 22, 2012, 6:28 pm

Programs: QF CL
That's exactly what I meant..... It does not have to be the best....I can think about many hotels that I consider from several point of view better then the hotel I named.... I wanted to ask something that belong more to a unique feeling that this certain Hotel can stimulate in a person....
On this basis I would say Palazzo Sasso in Ravello. Not the biggest or best rooms and bathrooms I have ever seen but the staff there make it so special. Many of them seem to have been born in the village just down the hill, which I appreciated for the local quality it brought. I found the service to be absolutely world class, while still being intimate and relaxed and very much "of its place".

And the view.... We arrived there in the dead of night after long travel delays caused by Italian air traffic control strikes. I will never forget my first sight of the sun striking the water as I threw open the windows on our first morning. A meal or drink on the terrace is a wonderful experience.
Old Mar 22, 2012, 7:33 pm

Programs: Korean Air Skypass, ANA Skyweb, Amex Premier Rewards, Chase Sapphire Preferred
Wasn't Danieli the hotel used in the movie "The Tourist" Angelina Jolie and Johnny Depp. It did seem romantic

Last edited by smith80678; Mar 23, 2012 at 10:46 am
Old Mar 23, 2012, 9:59 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by 5khours
Which property do you like in Venice? I've stayed at Gritti, Danieli, and Cipriani. For me Cipriani was very special, but I can see how for some people Danieli might be THE Hotel.

I like your description of perfectly integrating within the environment. In that respect, Amanpuri gets very high marks in my book. Amanpulo on the other hand has such a beautiful environment to start with, you could put tar paper shacks there and it would still be near the top of my list.
Recently I'm staying mainly to the Bauer, but I was thinking, as you understood, about the Danieli (that as has been noted is the hotel in "The Tourist").
Old Mar 23, 2012, 10:07 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Baghoarder
On this basis I would say Palazzo Sasso in Ravello. Not the biggest or best rooms and bathrooms I have ever seen but the staff there make it so special. Many of them seem to have been born in the village just down the hill, which I appreciated for the local quality it brought. I found the service to be absolutely world class, while still being intimate and relaxed and very much "of its place".

And the view.... We arrived there in the dead of night after long travel delays caused by Italian air traffic control strikes. I will never forget my first sight of the sun striking the water as I threw open the windows on our first morning. A meal or drink on the terrace is a wonderful experience.

This is one of my favourite as well and I have very special memories about it bevause it has been the first hotel where I have been as a father...my daughter was just 15 days when we went there and we had a great time. No use to say how tenderly everybody used to behave.
I have been back a few times even if ravello in general rooms tend to be on the small size even if you get suites....(not to mention their two michelin starred Rossellini's restaurant)

Staying in Ravello, if i should choose a memorabel hotel, I much probably select Villa Cimbrone....it might not be the best, but yes, it is definitively unique. I stayed once in one of their antique suites (they have just two i guess) with old ceramics hand painted on the floor (I think it is where Greta Garbo used to go for her love affair) and it is amazing...as it is to walk in their gardens at night when it is close to the pubblic....no words!
Old Mar 23, 2012, 10:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Villa Cimbrone

walk in their gardens at night when it is close to the pubblic
^ a number of properties like this but i hadnt thought about it before
(besides aman summer palace )
might be interesting when hotel at versailles opens, discussion begins here >
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/luxur...l#post15565315

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Mar 23, 2012 at 10:19 am
Old Mar 23, 2012, 10:58 am

Programs: Amanjunkie, LH SEN
Amanjiwo, Java

Como Shambala Estate, Bali

Umaid Bhawan Palace, Rajasthan
Old Mar 23, 2012, 11:54 am

For me, Il Palazzo at The Bauer is by far the best in Venice. I love the terrace restaurant at night, the views and the excellent concierge.
Old Mar 23, 2012, 2:33 pm
BLV

I'll start myself: to me THE hotel not to be missed is "Il San Pietro" in Positano.
Reclamed to the rock it is a unique architecture that meld within nature. Every room is sea front view with a terrace and you get one of the most impressive view of the planet when, at sunset, Positano starts lighting on.

What about you?
Same place for me as well

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.