Community
Wiki Posts
Search

THE Hotel not to be missed

Search this Thread

Old Mar 24, 2012, 12:35 pm
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
hualalai service reports are as consistent as amanjiwo, but its huge comparatively speaking especially including residences, and not a top beach (and its the only well regarded property in hawaii)

i dont expect many if any city hotels to come up, even the ones with most consistent service reports

The_Daddy, you should note in your compilation that yellowstone club is not a hotel/resort
I disagree with your assertion that Hualalai is the "only well regarded property in hawaii." I still prefer the Mauna Kea Beach Hotel. It's beach is breathtakingly beautiful. The remodeled rooms are very large and have two balconies. Gorgeous ocean view rooms. I also prefer the dining options at the MKB. Hualalai has better swimming pools and much better spa. To me: a great beach trumps a great swimming pool.
Old Mar 24, 2012, 1:19 pm
Original Poster

Programs: millemiglia - milesmore- spg - goldpassport - priority club- the leader club - others
Originally Posted by hailstorm
Too many people cheating on this topic! If you can't single out one hotel, then for you, there is no hotel that is THE hotel.
Indeed, it is a fact, cheaters in the house!
But as you have seen I have not passively accepted it; severe actions have been taken against those fragmenting the value of their mention(s) in proportion in order not to affect, or to affect less relevantly, the partial result reported in my "First Update" post.

If this custom will persist I might be forced to report it to the competent authority and strong punishment might consequently be addressed to them, including a weekend forced stay in a Hilton or similar average chain hotel!

I'm sure just the mention of this final very severe measure will prevent any further infringement, hopefully.
Old Mar 24, 2012, 1:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by obscure2k
I disagree with your assertion that Hualalai is the "only well regarded property in hawaii." I still prefer the Mauna Kea Beach Hotel. It's beach is breathtakingly beautiful. The remodeled rooms are very large and have two balconies. Gorgeous ocean view rooms. I also prefer the dining options at the MKB. Hualalai has better swimming pools and much better spa. To me: a great beach trumps a great swimming pool.
i only speak in terms of forum unless otherwise stated. after your posts, ive mentioned mauna kea beach a number of times. i dont remember how many other reviews there are, but its extremely few.

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Mar 24, 2012 at 5:16 pm
Old Mar 24, 2012, 3:03 pm

Programs: QF CL
Originally Posted by Groombridge
Please do post a review of Laucala after you go. Several non-affiliated hoteliers whom I trust swear it is the best resort they have ever experienced, bar none.
I am very much looking forward to it (going in July). Apologies for going slightly OT here, but I notice that Fiji is not well regarded in this forum, especially amongst our US friends. Partly this is because of the offerings there, of course (although frankly I don't see Hawaii as much better in the main) but what else is it? Why do Hawaii and Bora Bora seem to dominate the South Pacific for Americans?
Old Mar 24, 2012, 3:05 pm
Community Director Emerita

Originally Posted by Baghoarder
Why do Hawaii and Bora Bora seem to dominate the South Pacific for Americans?
Access. They are much easier to reach. I have been to Hawaii many times (most islands), French Polynesia a few times including once to Bora Bora, and never to Fiji.
Old Mar 24, 2012, 3:08 pm

Programs: QF CL
Originally Posted by SanDiego1K
Access. They are much easier to reach. I have been to Hawaii many times (most islands), French Polynesia a few times including once to Bora Bora, and never to Fiji.
I thought someone might say that. It's the opposite from Australia! Hawaii is not too bad (although Qantas charges like a wounded bull for seats on that leg), but French Polymesia is a nightmare. We have to go via NZ and it takes about 18 hours. It would probably be easier to fly to LA and then double back!
Old Mar 24, 2012, 3:13 pm

Programs: UA GS>1K>Nothing; DL DM 2MM; AS 75K>Nothing>MVP
Originally Posted by The_Daddy
I'm sure just the mention of this final very severe measure will prevent any further infringement, hopefully.
OK. You got me. As promised I have now made up my mind and will vote for YC.

YC is unique. It offers something you can find nowhere else. With every other property I have been to, you can find a similar (albeit not as nice) experience elsewhere. Also, to my way of thinking THE Hotel has to have outstanding service and food. The fact that YC is able to do this is in a country whose culture is so antithetical to good cuisine and good service makes it especially noteworthy.

Kage will probably ding me because it is not a resort/hotel, but since the OP refers to "hotels" and "properties" and says nothing about resorts, then I will take that as license for my vote. YC in fact does rent accommodations, but is just very selective about it.
Old Mar 24, 2012, 4:32 pm

Great thread!

It's very hard to say, there are so many hotels not to be missed. I agree one must stay in at least one Aman resort and one Singita in their life, but if I should only pick one property it has to be Glenmere Mansion.

Ratua Private Island was very special for me. It's not over the top service, but a very unique and beautiful experience.

Oh this is very hard after more than 500 high end hotels. I just said Glenmere Mansion, but probably for a once in a lifetime experience. I just stayed 7 Singita properties. 5 of them were just incredible and the last two very impressive as well. My favorite was the smallest, the 6 room Sweni Lodge in Krüger so that will win for me. No. I can't pick one.

You have to stay in 4 hotels as THE hotel:
1 Aman
1 Singita
Glenmere Mansion
Ratua Private Island.

Frégate costs probably 8 times more, but wasn't as unique as Ratua for me.
Old Mar 24, 2012, 5:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

real estate rentals are not a hotel, were talking private villa rentals within community
nor are things for guests of owners (interesting a fasano like this opened up to public)
or only prospective buyers, etc
clubs with hotels might be a different story

distance isnt a big thing in this forum, even US pay to go to asia for service/culture
not to mention its flyertalk

its a bummer glenmere is open to public for dinner

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Mar 24, 2012 at 5:25 pm
Old Mar 24, 2012, 6:50 pm

Programs: DL PM
Londolozi Tree Camp in South Africa
Old Mar 24, 2012, 6:59 pm

Programs: United global services, BA gold,
Love so many of the hotels mentioned - feltrinelli, Amanpuri, amanjiwa, amankila, park Hyatt Tokyo, etc. but a couple that have not been mentioned that I think are must visits are: Singita Boulders in south Africa, Wakaya Club in Fiji, and North Island, Seychelles. Hard to pick one!
Old Mar 24, 2012, 9:31 pm

Programs: UA GS>1K>Nothing; DL DM 2MM; AS 75K>Nothing>MVP
Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
real estate rentals are not a hotel, were talking private villa rentals within community
nor are things for guests of owners (interesting a fasano like this opened up to public)
or only prospective buyers, etc
clubs with hotels might be a different story

distance isnt a big thing in this forum, even US pay to go to asia for service/culture
not to mention its flyertalk

its a bummer glenmere is open to public for dinner
I figured you ding me on this, but if we're going to follow the OP rules... then the list has to be hotels, which Pulo, Puri, etc. are not.
Old Mar 24, 2012, 11:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

my last side comment >
http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/hotel
Definition of HOTEL
: an establishment that provides lodging and usually meals, entertainment, and various personal services for the public :
inn

Origin of HOTEL
French hôtel, from Old French hostel hostel
First Known Use: 1765
http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/inn
Definition of INN
: an establishment for the lodging and entertaining of travelers

Origin of INN
Middle English, from Old English; akin to Old Norse inni dwelling, inn, Old English in, adverb
First Known Use: 12th century
thats really recent - now im curious

interesting the oldest active hotel recently changed...
Hoshi Ryokan (717AD) > Nisiyama Onsen Keiunkan (705AD)

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Mar 24, 2012 at 11:43 pm
Old Mar 24, 2012, 11:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hyatt Discoverist, SEIBU PRINCE CLUB Silver, Marriott Gold
Obviously, this whole topic is just killing time until the Ryugyong Hotel is completed, upon which it will become the unanimous choice for being THE hotel to visit. ^
Old Mar 24, 2012, 11:42 pm

The club at the top (can't remember the name) has fantastic views of the strip. Check out the bathrooms too ;-)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.