Search

THE Hotel not to be missed

Search this Thread

Old Jul 7, 2012, 8:39 pm

Amanpulo
Old Jul 9, 2012, 5:54 pm

Programs: BA Gold+, LH HON, Starw Plat, RC Plat
Originally Posted by vuittonsofstyle
If the new owners have any sense whatsoever, they will do nothing with the brand, apart from invest money into it! And which Amans have seen better days?
All!! Need to get with the times, recently at Amapuri where cheap TV's have been added. Bathroom look worn, needs to be update to 2012. Staff with stains on uniforms, material wearing thin on furniture, and more.

New owners will want to make money and recoup they investment, does not bode well for a brand that makes very little, if any, profit.
Old Jul 10, 2012, 8:02 am

Originally Posted by Golden
All!! Need to get with the times, recently at Amapuri where cheap TV's have been added. Bathroom look worn, needs to be update to 2012. Staff with stains on uniforms, material wearing thin on furniture, and more.

New owners will want to make money and recoup they investment, does not bode well for a brand that makes very little, if any, profit.
Have you stayed at every Aman? Do you think that Amanruya needs to 'get with the times', or Aman Sveti Stefan, or Amangiri?

Every hotel group, from Four Seasons to Peninsula, to Mandarin Oriental, to Aman have properties that are new and fresh and properties that need investment. Aman, in my experience, have fewer properties that obviously need investment, whereas Peninsula, say, have several.

Don't forget that, on the whole, Aman do not own their properties, just as Four Seasons don't own theirs. Investment comes from the owners (or not).

I think you are being very unfair to say that Aman needs to 'get with the times'. Do you want it to become another 'W'? I think you will find that 99% of Amanjunkies would run screaming from that concept.
Old Jul 16, 2012, 5:46 pm

Virtuoso nominees for their best hotel:
Comments?
Beverly Hills Hotel (Dorchester Collection) - Beverly Hills, Calif.
Rosewood Hotel Georgia - Vancouver
Kauri Cliffs - Northland, N.Z.
One&Only Ocean Club - Paradise Island, Bahamas
Hotel Sacher Wien - Vienna
Old Jul 16, 2012, 10:27 pm

Programs: UA GS>1K>Nothing; DL DM 2MM; AS 75K>Nothing>MVP
Originally Posted by Golden

Amanpuri has had the TVs for a long time. Whether they are in the rooms depends on whether or not it's rainy season, but you can have them in or out at anytime depending on your preference.
Old Jul 17, 2012, 3:45 pm

Programs: BA, Delta, Hyatt, Hilton
Lewtrenchard Manor near Okehampton, Devon, UK....historic, old, built in the early 1600s, beautiful property and country....right next to the moor in Devon and a very easy run to the Cornish coast. Now that the Murray family have bought it back after a few years away, you will feel that you are truly a guest. And the food is delicious.
Old Jul 18, 2012, 4:57 am

Programs: Marriott Platinum,One Harmony Exclusive, Flying Blue Platinum, Emirates Platinum
Ananda Spa in the Himalayas. Must be the most amazing place!

http://anandaspa.com/content/default.asp
Old Jul 18, 2012, 6:44 am

Programs: Virgin FC, Qantas, Golden Circle, Sofitel, Hyatt, Starwood, Nectar, and my Tesco Club Card
Originally Posted by DutchGuy
Ananda Spa in the Himalayas. Must be the most amazing place!

http://anandaspa.com/content/default.asp
Was this managed by MO for a short while several years ago?
Old Jul 18, 2012, 9:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Kettering Northants QC
Was this managed by MO for a short while several years ago?
sep 2000 to dec 2001
http://thehindubusinessline.in/2001/...s/022736m4.htm
after rafael acquisition, and then perhaps due to economy

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Jul 12, 2014 at 10:09 am
Old Jul 22, 2012, 3:41 pm
Formerly known as hcampana

Programs: Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by 5khours

Top 5 - YS, Pulo, Puri, Cipriani, Okura. (Most people probably will not agree on the last because the rooms are not great, but IMHO it still has the best service of any big city hotel in the world, Tohkalin is one my favorite restaurants, Orchid room is the best power breakfast spot in the world, and the lobby has a timeless style and serenity.)
What is YS?
Old Jul 23, 2012, 7:32 pm

Programs: AC SE 2MM, too many others
Originally Posted by Musken
+2^
Depends what they want to do with the brand, if you know what I mean.
Old Jul 25, 2012, 2:16 pm

Programs: AMEX PLAT , HILTON GOLD, STARWOOD PREFERRED GUEST GOLD, IHG PLAT AMBASSADOR, DAVID O FAN CLUB
Sadly I have always stayed one level down from the real real 5 star properties that seem to top the list.
I am only in my 20s so still have time.!!!
Stayed in lovely places in Tanzania and Zanzibar - If rumours of 3 Four Seasons to be built - wow.

My choice would be between
most incredible experience - Ngorongoro Crater
most beautiful location - Intercontinental Bora Bora
Best service - GHM Club At The Legian Bali.

The villas and butler service at GHM Club At The Legian Bali. I mean everything about this hotel was incredible. Trust me i looked for faults and found one or two at the GHM Chedi in Ubud but could not find ANY at GHM Club At The Legian Bali..

So my vote so far is for GHM Club At The Legian Bali.
http://www.ghmhotels.com/en/the-club...e-legian/home/
however I hope to visit some from the list which will hopefully mean a new favourite!!!

Last edited by WEEBOBBY; Jul 25, 2012 at 2:26 pm
Old Dec 13, 2012, 11:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by hcampana
What is YS?
yellowstone club - small private residential development, no hotel accommodations or managed rentals

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Jul 13, 2014 at 1:20 am Reason: 5
Old Dec 20, 2012, 1:18 am

Programs: United 1K 2.7 MM
Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
bumping what is IMHO a much more interesting thread than "best/favorite"
Well, I'll play. Southern Ocean Lodge on Kangaroo Island is pretty amazing. Cannot be faulted for service, style and food: the island itself is well worth a detour. I sound like a Baillie junkie I know, but they (the owners) really have faultless taste, and so their lodges have an unmistakable personality which makes them unique.

I will not write about Capella here: that place really deserves its own forum:
"What is the best place in the whole wide world?"
Old Dec 20, 2012, 11:38 pm

Location: my heart is on the shores of the north Italian lakes
Programs: LX Senator Lifetime, Relais&Chateaux Club5C, ex ! "Amanjunkie", ex LHW LC, hate chain hotels
Originally Posted by mmack
Well, I'll play. Southern Ocean Lodge on Kangaroo Island is pretty amazing. Cannot be faulted for service, style and food: the island itself is well worth a detour. I sound like a Baillie junkie I know, but they (the owners) really have faultless taste, and so their lodges have an unmistakable personality which makes them unique.

I will not write about Capella here: that place really deserves its own forum:
"What is the best place in the whole wide world?"
Fully agree with you regarding these very high end properties. A little bit more polish and real pools would make them perfect. Perhaps they will finally also understand the need for joining Relais & Châteaux.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.