Wiki Posts
Search

THE Hotel not to be missed

Search this Thread

Old Nov 12, 2018, 4:52 pm
Suspended
Marriott 25+ BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
After an amazing stay in Kyoto at Suiran that makes me palpitate to return to see both the fall colors and Sakura (even more than the RC Kyoto where we also stayed), I must add Suiran to our all-time favorites list. And after our incredible stay at the St Regis Florence so many years after our disappointing and uninspired stay at Belmond Villa San Michele, we finally feel like there’s a reason to return to Florence. So I must add the StR Florence, too. The fact that we weren’t quite as entranced as so many others with the decor and layout at the FS Florence adds even more weight for us.

For the record, we are returning to Amangiri for my birthday in Jan 2019. And I’ve been back to the StR San Francisco already twice this year alone with another stay coming in Dec. We’ve also returned twice to La Residence in South Africa since our wedding there in 2010.

Originally Posted by bhrubin
These are not only the best and most amazing places where we've ever stayed, but also the only places to which I'd consistently consider returning.

Amanjiwo, Indonesia
Singita Boulders, South Africa
Taj Umaid Bhawan Palace, India
Amangiri, USA
The Upper House, Hong Kong
Peninsula Shanghai, China
Gritti Palace, Italy
La Residence, South Africa
Amankila, Indonesia
Cavas Wine Lodge, Argentina
Cayo Espanto, Belize
St. Regis San Francisco, USA
Hotel Imperial, Vienna (EDIT Added Oct 2017)
St. Regis New York, USA (EDIT Added Mar 2018)
Suiran, Japan (EDIT Added May 2018)
St. Regis Florence, Italy (EDIT Added Oct 2018)
FlyerEC and MikeFromTokyo like this.

Last edited by bhrubin; Nov 12, 2018 at 5:02 pm
Old Nov 12, 2018, 6:10 pm
BLV

Originally Posted by bhrubin
And after our incredible stay at the St Regis Florence so many years after our disappointing and uninspired stay at Belmond Villa San Michele, we finally feel like there’s a reason to return to Florence. So I must add the StR Florence, too.
Do you have any threads on your Firenze stay here on FT? Will be at 4S for NYE.
Old Nov 12, 2018, 6:22 pm
Suspended
Aman Contributor BadgeMarriott 25+ Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by BLV
Do you have any threads on your Firenze stay here on FT? Will be at 4S for NYE.
Absolutely. My review is here:

https://www.flyertalk.com/hotel-revi...d-f-amp-b-2881

The concomitant thread is here:

St Regis Florence: world class luxury hotel with incredible location and F&B

We walked over to the FS and had a nice lunch. We couldn’t see any rooms or suite as they were at full occupancy. But the public spaces weren’t so to my liking. The garden is lovely, especially if you want a pool—not likely for NYE.

We had amazing dinners at Winter Garden, Enoteca Pinchiorri, Borgo San Jacopo, and Ora d’Aria in town. Only the last is one I’d not bother with again.
Old Nov 12, 2018, 7:46 pm
BLV

@bhrubin , thanks, I meant in terms of dining & general to-dos. It’s been way too long since I’ve last visited. Good to see that I’ve already got the places you mention on my list 👍🏼
bhrubin likes this.
Old May 25, 2020, 6:08 pm
Aman 10+ BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Programs: TPPS, UA, EK ...; Marriott BONVOY , HH, GP, GC..
It is rather difficult to pinpoint “ THE Hotel not to be missed “ , so thought of narrowing it down to perhaps annually .

Even for 2019 , it was difficult to come down to one !
The shortlist includes AMANs CGV , Kila , Nemu , Tokyo & Zoe . Then there is Lupaia

2020 : This should be easier as travels have been curtailed .
So far MOBKK !

Do miss hearing from bhrubin and OP The_Daddy
Old May 25, 2020, 6:21 pm
formerly htang333
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: Virtuoso, Top Ranked: Four Seasons (Top 25 Advisor), AMAN (Top 50), Rosewood, Hyatt Prive, etc.
Perfect! I was planning to crash at The Siam in July but they aren't opening till August, so MOBKK will do.
If only FS can open for a few days
FlyerEC likes this.
Old May 25, 2020, 8:01 pm

Originally Posted by FlyerEC
Do miss hearing from bhrubin
I'm curious what happened to bhrubin. He used to be very active here, but I haven't heard from him in a long time.
Old May 25, 2020, 9:18 pm
Aman 10+ BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Programs: TPPS, UA, EK ...; Marriott BONVOY , HH, GP, GC..
Originally Posted by MicSanToro
I'm curious what happened to bhrubin. He used to be very active here, but I haven't heard from him in a long time.
If you look at bhrubin ‘ s post #243 profile area , it says “ suspended “

Do not know why as found his posts very constructive & helpful even enlightening at times ..
Like the one on Suiran , we stayed because of his TR , enjoyed our stay too
Old May 25, 2020, 11:44 pm

Originally Posted by FlyerEC
If you look at bhrubin ‘ s profile area , it says “ suspended “ Do not know why as found his posts very constructive & helpful even enlightening at times ..
Suspended might be a synonym for 'banned.' I found his posts immensely helpful and often v. witty, though one or two may have breached an unwritten netiquette code. His TripAdvisor account was last active in December 2019 with a characteristically thorough review of Mystique in Santorini.

Macmyday and Kage have also vanished when they were often mainstays, even if only one of them wrote in a known language . . .
vuittonsofstyle, Musken and mkm4 like this.
Old May 26, 2020, 1:07 pm

Tom (MacMyDay)'s hotel reviews are always wonderful to read. He is witty/cheeky in a way that is refreshing and engaging. Maybe if all of the hotel reviews in the big travel magazines (Condé Nast, Travel+Leisure, etc.) were written by him people would *actually* read the magazines :P
SanDiego1K, BLV, mkm4 and 1 others like this.
Old May 26, 2020, 1:47 pm

Tom (MacMyDay)'s hotel reviews are always wonderful to read. He is witty/cheeky in a way that is refreshing and engaging. Maybe if all of the hotel reviews in the big travel magazines (Condé Nast, Travel+Leisure, etc.) were written by him people would *actually* read the magazines :P
When I got the email today about a new post on his blog, that was literally the highlight of what was otherwise a very drab, depressing quarantined birthday haha. On that note - North Island is now off my list.
mkm4 and LinLant like this.
Old May 26, 2020, 2:16 pm

Happy Birthday!

I just read through the post and was laughing the whole way through. For anyone reading this, here it is: https://thegoodthebadandtheluxurious...rt-seychelles/

A few highlights if you want some fast humour:

"Social distancing was not an issue, as there were about 3 other people at the airport and wasting money on flying Emirates 777 First Class finally paid off, as we sat so far from anyone else that the superfluous binoculars they provide were required to see the other passengers."

"I first stayed in April 2016 when it was €5,485/n, whereas this year it would be €9,801. I think they’ve closely been following the Fed and think that everyone is now a trillionaire from all the free money printing. I’m not an economist, but I don’t think that’s entirely how it works."

"But this time I mean it, mostly because it seems airplanes are a thing of the past and next time I’d need to canoe to get there and that really doesn’t seem worth it. Besides, do you really want a fourth review of this island?"

And the about the author blurb at the end: "Tom once challenged Big Foot to an arm wrestle and won. On a forfeiture. He setup a tech company at 18, went to his first Aman at 25, wrote his first blog article at 28 and three quarters and started talking as a pirate non-stop at 30. Recently, he was found ranting about being the co-owner of a luxury travel agency. His idols are Gordon Gekko, Lord Voldermort [sic] and you."

As far as the Marriott North Island makeover goes, I'll agree with you that I'm not impressed. I used to really enjoy the property, I even rank it as my 4th favourite resort of all time, but reading Tom's thoughts really turns me off about ever returning. If Wilderness Safaris really had to sell it, why couldn't they have sold to a brand like Sanctuary Retreats or One&Only or andBeyond instead of Marriott? Frustrating.
SanDiego1K, BLV, FlyerEC and 3 others like this.
Old May 26, 2020, 10:57 pm

I just read through the post and was laughing the whole way through. For anyone reading this, here it is: https://thegoodthebadandtheluxurious...rt-seychelles/
I just ploughed through this. Quite sad, really, to see such money spent on such an obvious nickel-and-diming rip-off. I do admire Tom's tenacity and his eagerness to describe his experiences in such detail; it's almost a public service. But, boy, I say this in a friendly way, does he need a sub-editor!
FlyerEC likes this.

Last edited by Pausanias; May 26, 2020 at 11:04 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.