Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Luxury Hotels and Travel
Reload this Page >

Should We Consider a Rewrite of the Luxury Forum Description?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Should We Consider a Rewrite of the Luxury Forum Description?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 19, 2012, 7:36 pm

Programs: UA, CX, BR
I agree that saying "five star" is not useful. I do think that giving a few examples of luxury chains (even if not every member of eg RC or even PH is going to be considered 'luxury' here) is useful, along with specifying that they are examples only, not an exclusive list, and the forum includes the "best independently-owned hotels" etc. (Along the lines Erika proposed a few posts back.)

My reasoning is that the purpose of the description is to guide first-time readers and potential posters of the forum, not to come up with the platonic essence of the luxury hotel (another topic, on which there are several threads).
Old Apr 7, 2012, 5:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

"boutique" questioned >

Originally Posted by Ericka
Are small hotels like Twin Farms/Villa Feltrinelli considered boutique hotels?
"exceptional" instead of "boutique" >

Originally Posted by paul2
I think the word 'boutique' can be omitted and "as well as exceptional hotels" included so that hotels such as Twin Farms and Villa Feltrinnelli and many others can be included.
not "boutique" >

Originally Posted by MikeFromTokyo
I think that the word boutique should be left out of the description because it could cause confusion
"independent boutique" >

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
independent boutique hotels are discussed here
"independently-owned" > A3/A4/A5

"exceptional hotels" > A0 >
Originally Posted by blueline7
Discussion of the best hotels throughout the world, including Four Seasons, Aman, Peninsula, Mandarin Oriental, Ritz Carlton, and other exceptional hotels.
"independent" > A00 >
Originally Posted by eefor jfp
Discussion regarding the very best luxury hotels in locations around the world (including chains like Four Seasons as well as independent hotels).
Originally Posted by stimpy
independent hotel
describe quality >
"exceptional" - used in A1/A2/A0
"very best" - used in the rest

"independent" is less limiting than both "boutique" and "independently-owned"
all 3 of those describe different types, which can overlap
if this kind of type descriptor is going to be included, IMO less limiting ("independent") is better

"properties" appears in OP along with "boutique"

only used in B2 >
Originally Posted by luxury
Discussion regarding the very best luxury properties around the world
"properties" is potentially less limiting (IMO better) than "hotels" (interpretation varies)
regardless of what description includes, im not sure "luxury hotels" has to be included just to match forum title, as opposed to having "luxury properties" in description, even though it doesnt match title. theoretically, depending on description, "luxury" might not even need to be included in the description, considering title is "luxury hotels". even if "hotels" is more universally understood, its in the title.

this was what the OP said >
I feel badly for people who stumble on this forum in error and are unsure if their hotel is "luxury". I am also myself sometimes confused whether info on a particular boutique hotel even belongs here.

Should we ask the mods to rewrite the luxury hotel forum description to something more specific? It currently refers to luxury chains such as FS and RC. Chains certainly seems too limiting as there are some fabulous privately owned properties and luxury boutique hotels. There could also be a consideration for Aman, Peninsula, MO, etc. And Virtuoso.....

I'm curious what the other regulars think.

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Apr 17, 2012 at 3:02 pm
Old Apr 13, 2012, 7:26 am

Guys...it's FINE as it is.
Old Apr 13, 2012, 12:43 pm
Original Poster
Aman 5+ BadgeFour Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: UA1K, *G & Wife of UA1K MM
Originally Posted by vuittonsofstyle
Guys...it's FINE as it is.
It IS only flyertalk, after all. I realize I started all this but the amount of debate does seem a little silly.
Old Apr 13, 2012, 1:34 pm

Programs: Virgin FC, Qantas, Golden Circle, Sofitel, Hyatt, Starwood, Nectar, and my Tesco Club Card
It IS only flyertalk, after all. I realize I started all this but the amount of debate does seem a little silly.
^

It's all got very complicated

I'm one of those annoying posters who actually doesn't really have an issue with people, for whatever genuine reason, bringing their own view of luxury to the forum, including 5 star hotels (Yes, I've had great stays at a JW Marriott ) - has it ever really been that big an issue??.

I think these forums should be like a vocabulary they go where they go and if in X years the majority of people want to discuss the relative merits of the JW Marriott, Intercontinental, Conrad in particular place so be it.

This is Flyertalk not a Surrey Golf Club

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.