Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Luxury Hotels and Travel
Reload this Page >

Should We Consider a Rewrite of the Luxury Forum Description?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Should We Consider a Rewrite of the Luxury Forum Description?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 14, 2011, 10:54 pm

Originally Posted by DrivingRain
Countless Four Seasons, Peninsula's and Mandarin Oriental's are worse than countless Ritz-Carlton's and vice-versa (many FSs are better than RCs for example). Nothing gets my blood boiling in this forum more than this blind loyalty based on brand; a great hotel is a great hotel. Sure, we can talk about brand trends but there might no greater disservice to those interested in lounges than to blindly say Ritz is better than FS or vice versa. I thought the level of analyses we strive for here would far surpass such generalities.
When I posted this I thought that we were contemplating a revised short description for the forum that would include just a few names as examples. In my opinion, Mandarin Oriental and Peninsula hotels on average tend to be somewhat superior to average Ritz-Carlton properties.

I am a big fan of a handful of R-C properties, but would have to say that in the Ritz-Carlton protfolio these properties are the minority. On the other hand most Mandarin Oriental properties range from good to exceptional, while just a handful are subpar. With Peninsula, the numbers are even more compelling, as the majority of the properties epitomize luxury.

Last edited by MikeFromTokyo; Nov 15, 2011 at 12:08 am
Old Nov 15, 2011, 11:21 am

Originally Posted by blueline7
I just wonder whether "a luxury hotel" can also be relative to its location. By that I mean, often people ask 'what is the best hotel in XXXXX city'. And there may not be any Amans, Four Seasons, etc. there, or even any exceptional boutique hotels. It may be that the Marriott happens to be 'the most luxurious', or at least 'the best', hotel there...And then don't forum members discuss this issue and provide advice on what to do given the limitations of that particular locale? So, I am wondering whether "the best hotels" figures into the equation in the description somehow, rather than merely obviously luxury hotels such as Aman etc...
Disagree.

Those kinds of topics and questions ARE more appropriate for other threads (either the hotel chain threads, or the geographic threads where you can discuss specific destinations / countries).

I think of true Luxury Hotels almost as a part of the reason for travelling to a specific city or destination...
Old Nov 15, 2011, 12:35 pm

Programs: SPG Gold, HH Silver
Originally Posted by LarkSFO
Disagree.

Those kinds of topics and questions ARE more appropriate for other threads (either the hotel chain threads, or the geographic threads where you can discuss specific destinations / countries).

I think of true Luxury Hotels almost as a part of the reason for travelling to a specific city or destination...
Good point.
Old Nov 15, 2011, 4:48 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, M&M Senator
Originally Posted by Ericka
Discussion regarding the very best luxury hotels in locations around the world.
Although not a regular participant in this forum, I read regularly. I like this generic version because once you start naming chains, where do you stop? Why leave out Oberoi and Taj and One and Only and...? I still think simpler is better, so maybe something along the lines of the above with an addition: "Discussion regarding the very best luxury hotels in locations around the world (including chains like Four Seasons as well as independent hotels)." The grammar seems off but you get the idea.
Old Nov 15, 2011, 5:48 pm
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

Originally Posted by Ericka
You are absolutely correct! I (think) we are just trying to come up with a set of example properties because without them, there is the fear outside users will not understand the level of luxury we're talking about.

Is this what you were thinking, speedbird001?

Do all feel free to write some new ideas or edit ones that are already suggested. ^
I feel quite comfortable with this description.

Old Nov 15, 2011, 5:53 pm
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeHilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Hilton*D, Marriott*LG, Hyatt*G
Originally Posted by obscure2k
I feel quite comfortable with this description.

My feeling is that "locations around the world" is redundant. I also feel hotels seems to exlude inns, lodges, camps, etc which are some of the very best luxury properties.

Discussion regarding the very best luxury properties around the world would be my suggestion.
Old Nov 15, 2011, 6:52 pm

Programs: PA WorldPass Platinum, AA, DL, LH. GHA Black, SPG and HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by luxury

Discussion regarding the very best luxury properties around the world would be my suggestion.
I am quite happy with this and feel it best matches the forum and the discussions therein.
Old Nov 15, 2011, 6:59 pm

Originally Posted by jspira
I am quite happy with this and feel it best matches the forum and the discussions therein.
Agreed.
Old Nov 15, 2011, 7:29 pm

Programs: AA2, DL2, Amtrak2, US2, SPG1, MAR2
Originally Posted by MikeFromTokyo
When I posted this I thought that we were contemplating a revised short description for the forum that would include just a few names as examples. In my opinion, Mandarin Oriental and Peninsula hotels on average tend to be somewhat superior to average Ritz-Carlton properties.

I am a big fan of a handful of R-C properties, but would have to say that in the Ritz-Carlton protfolio these properties are the minority. On the other hand most Mandarin Oriental properties range from good to exceptional, while just a handful are subpar. With Peninsula, the numbers are even more compelling, as the majority of the properties epitomize luxury.
My experience is a bit different than yours re MOvRCvFSvsPen (for example, Pen is my least favorite among those in one of the most important markets in the world...NYC), but I understand your opinion. Apologies for being a bit harsh in my reply.
Old Nov 15, 2011, 8:36 pm
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

My feeling is that "locations around the world" is redundant. I also feel hotels seems to exlude inns, lodges, camps, etc which are some of the very best luxury properties.

Excellent!^
Old Nov 15, 2011, 11:24 pm

Just right !
^
Old Nov 16, 2011, 2:31 am
Aman Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by bearbrick
Just right !
^
I like this as well.
Old Nov 20, 2011, 9:39 pm

Programs: PA WorldPass Platinum, AA, DL, LH. GHA Black, SPG and HHonors Gold
So what has to happen to make the description change official?
Old Dec 5, 2011, 1:08 pm
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeHilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Hilton*D, Marriott*LG, Hyatt*G
Here is what I propose:

First, my apologies for not taking action on this yet. Busy time of the year!!

Second, I will compile existing recommendations for the new title over the Christmas break and will set up a poll for voting in January.

Third, we can then ask the Community Director to effect the change based upon the tally of the vote.

Sound fair?
Old Dec 5, 2011, 1:20 pm

Here is what I propose:

First, my apologies for not taking action on this yet. Busy time of the year!!

Second, I will compile existing recommendations for the new title over the Christmas break and will set up a poll for voting in January.

Third, we can then ask the Community Director to effect the change based upon the tally of the vote.

Sound fair?
Do you really need to do a poll?

You know your last suggestion is going to win!

"Discussion regarding the very best luxury properties around the world"

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.