Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Luxury Hotels and Travel
Reload this Page >

Should We Consider a Rewrite of the Luxury Forum Description?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Should We Consider a Rewrite of the Luxury Forum Description?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 11, 2011, 2:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I think I like the short and sweet version in #28
Old Nov 11, 2011, 3:36 pm

Programs: Virgin FC, Qantas, Golden Circle, Sofitel, Hyatt, Starwood, Nectar, and my Tesco Club Card
Originally Posted by speedbird001
I don't know why we are talking about chains? It should be any super, luxury hotel and it needs to be relative to the city.
Absolutely agree

Rough idea
"A forum to discuss and debate the very top rung of luxury hotels around the world - be they small inns, converted palaces, plush large city hotels or modern beach resorts - if they're the VERY best and a genuine contender for the top 100 in the world then discuss them here"

This seems to get around the complications re names discussed -virtually every chain has it's duff outposts.

I also think whatever is decided upon the arguments will go on whether certain hotels should or should not be discussed
Old Nov 13, 2011, 1:47 pm

hmmmm

Mandarin Oriental in Singapore is definately not a luxury hotel by any definition.

Based on a stay there I have never risked another. Am I missing something?

Last edited by Barnaby100; Nov 13, 2011 at 2:04 pm
Old Nov 13, 2011, 3:08 pm
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: AA PLT+2MM / DL DM+1MM / A3 *G / Fairmont LT Plat / Ritz Gold / SPG Gold
Certainly expanding the list of chains and mentioning boutiques would be good. Shorter is better; "four seasons" is clear enough and doesn't need "hotels and resorts" at the end.

Originally Posted by Barnaby100
hmmmm

Mandarin Oriental in Singapore is definately not a luxury hotel by any definition.

Based on a stay there I have never risked another. Am I missing something?
Some Ritz Carltons probably shouldn't qualify, either...
Old Nov 13, 2011, 3:10 pm

Programs: AA PLT+2MM / DL DM+1MM / A3 *G / Fairmont LT Plat / Ritz Gold / SPG Gold
Originally Posted by Ericka
I would argue that people throw around 5 Star so much that it is now meaningless....different countries and different websites all have varied interpretations. Me? I'm a purist. 5 Star is owned by Mobil the way that Champagne is produced in Champagne.
You'll be saddened to learn that it is now Forbes Five Star, not Mobil...
Old Nov 14, 2011, 5:40 am
Original Poster
Aman 5+ BadgeFour Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: UA1K, *G & Wife of UA1K MM
Of course there are stinkers in each hotel group....FS and Aman each have them. But I wouldn't not list the whole group because of one or two bad properties. The list is just meant to give people an idea of what we are talking about so they don't wander in here talking about their recent Marriott stay.

Luxury is subjective.
Old Nov 14, 2011, 9:57 am

Luxury is subjective.
And that, at the end of the day, is why it will be so difficult to universally describe what a 'Luxury Hotel' forum should and should not include... Everybody has their opinion.

Fairmont?

Luxury definition: "Hotels that are reviewed or that advertise in Virtuoso and / or Departures Magazine."
Old Nov 14, 2011, 1:53 pm

Programs: Virgin FC, Qantas, Golden Circle, Sofitel, Hyatt, Starwood, Nectar, and my Tesco Club Card
Originally Posted by LarkSFO
Luxury definition: "Hotels that are reviewed or that advertise in Virtuoso ...."
The Virtuoso Agents on this forum would like that ;-)

Re the Fairmont point, I think the Savoy in London illustrates that well - whilst some may feel that the majority of Fairmont hotels are not luxurious by this forums standards, the Savoy perhaps does.
Old Nov 14, 2011, 2:12 pm

Originally Posted by Kettering Northants QC
Re the Fairmont point, I think the Savoy in London illustrates that well - whilst some may feel that the majority of Fairmont hotels are not luxurious by this forums standards, the Savoy perhaps does.
Excellent point...

Fairmont San Jose was very nice. Nice suite. Great service at every employee interaction. Wonderful room service (breakfast).

Was it Luxury of world class standards (The 'Ericka rule' )? Probably not.

I'll let you know soon about Fairmont Wash DC and Seattle locations...
Old Nov 14, 2011, 2:48 pm

We stayed at The Fairmont Abu Dhabi recently and it was superb,definitely a luxury hotel.

Another version...

Discussion regarding luxury hotels such as Four Seasons, Amanresorts, Peninsula, Mandarin Oriental, and Dorchester, as well as the very best independently-owned hotels in locations around the world.
Ericka, the above description is good in my opinion.
Old Nov 14, 2011, 6:36 pm

Programs: PA WorldPass Platinum, AA, DL, LH. GHA Black, SPG and HHonors Gold
You are absolutely correct! I (think) we are just trying to come up with a set of example properties because without them, there is the fear outside users will not understand the level of luxury we're talking about.

Is this what you were thinking, speedbird001?
Discussion regarding the very best luxury hotels in locations around the world.

Do all feel free to write some new ideas or edit ones that are already suggested. ^
I think this is just about PERFECT! ^
Old Nov 14, 2011, 6:47 pm

Of course there are stinkers in each hotel group....FS and Aman each have them. But I wouldn't not list the whole group because of one or two bad properties. The list is just meant to give people an idea of what we are talking about so they don't wander in here talking about their recent Marriott stay.

Luxury is subjective.
Agreed on these fronts....
Old Nov 14, 2011, 8:04 pm

Another version...

Discussion regarding luxury hotels such as Four Seasons, Amanresorts, Peninsula, Mandarin Oriental, and Dorchester, as well as the very best independently-owned hotels in locations around the world.
Ericka, I agree this is an excellent description. ^

I would only add that Dorchester should possibly read Dorchester Collection, as it refers to the entire hotel group.
Old Nov 14, 2011, 8:15 pm

Programs: AA2, DL2, Amtrak2, US2, SPG1, MAR2
Originally Posted by MikeFromTokyo
I think the description definitely should include Amanresorts.

Along with Four Seasons, I would like to see Peninsula and/or Mandarin Oriental in the description, as these hotel groups are true paradigms for luxury hospitality.

I would possibly suggest the removal of Ritz-Carlton. While there are some very good properties, quite a few others are decidedly not high end.

I agree that the word chains is too limiting.
Countless Four Seasons, Peninsula's and Mandarin Oriental's are worse than countless Ritz-Carlton's and vice-versa (many FSs are better than RCs for example). Nothing gets my blood boiling in this forum more than this blind loyalty based on brand; a great hotel is a great hotel. Sure, we can talk about brand trends, but there might be no greater disservice to those interested in hotels than to blindly say Ritz is better than FS or vice versa. I thought the level of analyses we strive for here would far surpass such generalities.

Last edited by DrivingRain; Nov 15, 2011 at 7:28 pm
Old Nov 14, 2011, 8:19 pm

Programs: SPG Gold, HH Silver
Discussion regarding luxury hotels such as Four Seasons, Aman, Peninsula, Mandarin Oriental, Ritz Carlton and truly exceptional boutique hotels ????
I just wonder whether "a luxury hotel" can also be relative to its location. By that I mean, often people ask 'what is the best hotel in XXXXX city'. And there may not be any Amans, Four Seasons, etc. there, or even any exceptional boutique hotels. It may be that the Marriott happens to be 'the most luxurious', or at least 'the best', hotel there...And then don't forum members discuss this issue and provide advice on what to do given the limitations of that particular locale? So, I am wondering whether "the best hotels" figures into the equation in the description somehow, rather than merely obviously luxury hotels such as Aman etc.....

So, an alternative might be:

Discussion of the best hotels throughout the world, including Four Seasons, Aman, Peninsula, Mandarin Oriental, Ritz Carlton, and other exceptional hotels.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.