Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Luxury Hotels and Travel
Reload this Page >

Should We Consider a Rewrite of the Luxury Forum Description?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Should We Consider a Rewrite of the Luxury Forum Description?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 5, 2011, 2:04 pm
Original Poster
Aman 5+ BadgeFour Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: UA1K, *G & Wife of UA1K MM
Originally Posted by LarkSFO
"Discussion regarding the very best luxury properties around the world"
I like this description very much and feel it has a very nice ring to it.

But when I imagine myself as someone new to flyertalk and recently returned from the Marriott CasaMagna Cancun Resort (the best hotel I have ever been to), there is nothing in this description that discourages me from coming here to talk about it. This is why I still lean toward a few specific examples.

I'm pretty sure I'm alone in this thinking...which is OK. I just wanted to make sure I went on official record.
Old Dec 5, 2011, 2:57 pm

Programs: Virgin FC, Qantas, Golden Circle, Sofitel, Hyatt, Starwood, Nectar, and my Tesco Club Card
Originally Posted by Ericka

But when I imagine myself as someone new to flyertalk and recently returned from the Marriott CasaMagna Cancun Resort (the best hotel I have ever been to), there is nothing in this description that discourages me from coming here to talk about it. This is why I still lean toward a few specific examples.

I'm pretty sure I'm alone in this thinking...which is OK. I just wanted to make sure I went on official record.
I don't see how a few specific examples would stop this from happening. We have specific examples now. The emphasis on the "very best" works for me.
Old Dec 5, 2011, 4:22 pm

In the 'Premium Fare' airline thread, newbies often mistake what they think are premium fares from what the general community agrees is really a 'Premium Fare'.

In the case of this Luxury Hotel forum, I believe there will be a certain amount of self correcting, because Ericka is right.

If friendly fellow FT'ers and mods manage the forum well, I think it can stay true to it's ideals. (I feel so 1% when I say that... )
Old Dec 6, 2011, 3:40 am

I totally agree Ericka, the description needs to include some of the specific examples previously discussed in this thread. The purpose of the forum description is to help the uninformed audience know where to post.

I still am in favor of a description like this one:

Another version...

Discussion regarding luxury hotels such as Four Seasons, Amanresorts, Peninsula, Mandarin Oriental, and Dorchester, as well as the very best independently-owned hotels in locations around the world.

Last edited by MikeFromTokyo; Dec 6, 2011 at 3:46 am
Old Dec 6, 2011, 8:48 am

Discussion regarding luxury hotels such as Four Seasons, Amanresorts, Peninsula, Mandarin Oriental, and Dorchester, as well as the very best independently-owned hotels in locations around the world.

This is the one that, for me, best sums up what the Luxury Hotels Forum deals with. Can we please use this!
Old Dec 6, 2011, 8:50 am

I guess a poll will be required after all!
Old Dec 8, 2011, 11:09 pm

Programs: United global services, BA gold,
As someone new to this forum I agree with Erica and vuittonsofstyle recommended description.
Old Dec 9, 2011, 6:51 am

Programs: PA WorldPass Platinum, AA, DL, LH. GHA Black, SPG and HHonors Gold
I believe that having examples is where the current forum description falls short.

That is why I like

"Discussion regarding the very best luxury properties around the world"
Old Dec 26, 2011, 8:47 am

Originally Posted by luxury
Here is what I propose:

First, my apologies for not taking action on this yet. Busy time of the year!!

Second, I will compile existing recommendations for the new title over the Christmas break and will set up a poll for voting in January.

Third, we can then ask the Community Director to effect the change based upon the tally of the vote.

Sound fair?
Yes, support this title - "Discussion regarding the very best luxury properties around the world".

Just saw this thread and appreciate a lot of the comments in earlier posts.

For me at least, this forum does not exist for dry discussions on luxury hotels but serves as a ready and reliable reference when we consider which luxury hotel we should pick for a particular city.

Knowing that luxury and likes are subjective, I believe our interests are best served if we are allowed to discuss, say, the best batch (depending on city again) of hotels in a city, without any curtailment just because a hotel belongs to a chain.

Not allowing reference here to Park Hyatt in Istanbul, Tokyo or Shanghai, will not only be silly, but will render this forum a lot less useful (or even misleading). Of course, detailed discussion of properties belonging to chains can belong to their individual forums. What I am saying is that they should not be omitted from the hierarchy of hotels when views and recommendations are stated here.

Last edited by IncyWincy; Dec 26, 2011 at 11:11 am
Old Dec 26, 2011, 12:23 pm

Originally Posted by IncyWincy
Of course, detailed discussion of properties belonging to chains can belong to their individual forums. What I am saying is that they should not be omitted from the hierarchy of hotels when views and recommendations are stated here.
Nobody has suggested that high-end Hyatt or Starwood properties should not be discussed here. On the contrary, in some cases these are the best in town. In this forum such properties are discussed on a different level than in their individual Hyatt or SPG threads, where the focus tends to be on award redemptions.

How are we going to proceed with revising the forum description?

My vote is still for the description that includes examples, quoted in posts #64 and #65.
Old Dec 26, 2011, 1:08 pm

Originally Posted by MikeFromTokyo
When I posted this I thought that we were contemplating a revised short description for the forum that would include just a few names as examples. In my opinion, Mandarin Oriental and Peninsula hotels on average tend to be somewhat superior to average Ritz-Carlton properties.

I am a big fan of a handful of R-C properties, but would have to say that in the Ritz-Carlton protfolio these properties are the minority. On the other hand most Mandarin Oriental properties range from good to exceptional, while just a handful are subpar. With Peninsula, the numbers are even more compelling, as the majority of the properties epitomize luxury.
I find each chain has a mix of excellent-to-average. I think that the Four Seasons might be the best of the bunch in terms of overall consistency.

The Peninsula is easy to judge and a bit unfair to compare against the bigger brands, due to the small size and focus of Peninsula.
Old Dec 26, 2011, 2:44 pm
Community Director Emerita

Originally Posted by vuittonsofstyle
For the moment, with no intent to slow the discussion or take issue with any points, I am going to add this. It's a significant improvement, even if it should prove to be an interim one.

Let the discussion continue.
Old Dec 26, 2011, 2:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by SanDiego1K
For the moment, with no intent to slow the discussion or take issue with any points, I am going to add this. It's a significant improvement, even if it should prove to be an interim one.

originally posted by Ericka >
Another version...
supported by >

Originally Posted by paul2
Ericka, the above description is good in my opinion.
Originally Posted by MikeFromTokyo
Ericka, I agree this is an excellent description. ^

I would only add that Dorchester should possibly read Dorchester Collection, as it refers to the entire hotel group.
Originally Posted by vuittonsofstyle
This is the one that, for me, best sums up what the Luxury Hotels Forum deals with. Can we please use this!
Originally Posted by Larkin
As someone new to this forum I agree with Erica and vuittonsofstyle recommended description.
the 2 moderators and several others have suggested a description with no examples
Old Dec 26, 2011, 3:31 pm

Programs: PA WorldPass Platinum, AA, DL, LH. GHA Black, SPG and HHonors Gold
For the moment, with no intent to slow the discussion or take issue with any points, I am going to add this.

It's a significant improvement, even if it should prove to be an interim one.

First, thank you for moving this ahead. ^

Not that I want to sound as if I am against progress, but there is a small but critical flaw in this description as it leaves out the luxury properties such as the Imperial in Vienna (Starwood) and the Park Hyatt in Tokyo - at least insofar as newcomers to the forum reading this description might be concerned.
Old Dec 26, 2011, 5:06 pm
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

Thanks, Carol. Good call.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.