Community
Wiki Posts
Search

English countryside hotels

Search this Thread

Old Feb 27, 2013, 10:11 am
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jaguarpig
I looked at the site and while the hotel looked nice, it didn't come across as a true luxury hotel. Perhaps instead of just including a link, you could comment on why you think it is one? That kind of personal comment is what makes this forum so valuable.
Old Feb 27, 2013, 10:13 am
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: Virtuoso, FSPP, STARS, MO FAN Club, PEN Club, Bellini Club, Dorchester Diamond Club, Travel Leaders
Originally Posted by Ericka
I'm thinking of going to London with Mr. Ericka again this Spring. Are there any good hotels or B&Bs in the Peak District?

For B&Bs, this looks kind of cute....Dannah Farm. It's a working tenant farm on the Chatsworth Estate. Lots of exposed beams and original stone walls.

I have yet to find any true luxury in this area.
My English UK hotel guru says there's nothing 5* in the area. He reps the Devonshire Arms at Beeley. It's more 4* but decent and very reasonably priced, something like 200£ per night.

Last edited by DavidO; Feb 27, 2013 at 11:04 am
Old Feb 27, 2013, 11:16 am

Originally Posted by DavidO
My English UK hotel guru says there's nothing 5* in the area. He reps the Devonshire Arms at Beeley. It's more 4* but decent and very reasonably priced, something like 200£ per night.
That is because it is a pub, David! There really is nothing hotel-wise in the area.
Old Feb 27, 2013, 3:21 pm
Aman 5+ BadgeFour Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: UA1K, *G & Wife of UA1K MM
I'll have to research some of this. It's looking pretty bleak, though. Thanks for the suggestions.
Old Apr 25, 2013, 10:54 am

The Cavendish Hotel and The Kensington Hotel

I wanted to let everyone know that we stayed at the Cavendish Hotel this weekend in Derbyshire. It’s probably not a true luxury property as we would define it here, so I’m not going to do a trip report. But here are some highlights. For the area, it’s definitely a very good option.

Pros
- Pastoral setting. Gorgeous views out all windows.
- On the Chatsworth property, 20 minute walk to the house.
- Superior Inn rooms all redecorated. Gorgeous traditional fabrics, 4-poster beds, pretty bathrooms with under-floor heating.
- Quaint public areas that embraced the coaching inn history. Lots of old photos and maps.
- Ideal location for Derbyshire and Peak district.
- Staff attempted great service, but ended up achieving good.
- Sunday night package with dinner and breakfast a great value.

Cons
- Service trying too hard. Staff sometimes seemed a little stressed, especially in the restaurant.
- Should have better relationship with Chatsworth. Unable to get us tea reservations, etc.

While in London on business, we weren’t able to stay in any of the true luxury hotels due to budget constraints, so we booked the Kensington Hotel in South Kensington. Wow! We loved it. Truly excellent service, name recognition, charming décor, and good restaurants. The residential neighborhood was equally great and close to many of the popular tourist activities and shopping. Just be careful to get a Deluxe room or larger. Superiors were quite tiny with equally tiny bathrooms.
Old Apr 25, 2013, 12:29 pm

In the Peak District, foodies would opt for Fischer's at Baslow Hall - they have a small wing of contemporary/modern rooms alongside the more traditional country house things. The restaurant has had a Michelin star for years and the last time I went it was probably the best in the area by miles.

We also stayed at the Cavendish. Very pleasant, rather overpriced, more of a pub perhaps, but you can walk to Chatsworth and the admission is included in your room price.
Old Nov 17, 2013, 2:24 pm

Programs: F
We have just booked a week for June staying successively at Chewton Glen (4nt), FS Hampshire (which we know well, 2nt) and Coworth Park (2nt).

Candidates that were assessed as possibles include amongst others:
  • Whatley Manor - ultimately we were put off by the decor of the various bedrooms as pictured on the website
  • Lucknam Park - put off by the price-to-quality-of-room ratio. We like good beds and brilliant bathrooms.
  • Limewood - we take on board all the positive reviews, and it is not available for our dates (yet?) in any case, but we would like to say in case anyone relevant is reading this that the website introductory photo of the girl in the lime coloured wellies in the tree instantly drops our desire to visit about 30%. Just saying.
Old Nov 17, 2013, 2:50 pm
Community Director Emerita

Originally Posted by redshift27
[*]Limewood - we take on board all the positive reviews, and it is not available for our dates (yet?) in any case, but we would like to say in case anyone relevant is reading this that the website introductory photo of the girl in the lime coloured wellies in the tree instantly drops our desire to visit about 30%. Just saying.
I had to find the picture in order to satisfy my curiosity. I take your point. I've no idea what message that picture is meant to convey - other than use of the color lime?

http://www.limewoodhotel.co.uk/
Old Nov 17, 2013, 2:56 pm
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Gallivanter's loves Whatley Manor but I have stayed there twice (admittedly quite some time ago) and I was not overwhelmed by the rooms I had. The Gallivanter review focusses on the restaurants however, and I didn't try those, since I was in the area for work reasons.
Old Nov 17, 2013, 3:24 pm

Whatley Manor is way overpriced - we stayed last year and dined at the two-star Michelin restaurant which was OK but nothing to justify the high cost. Breakfast the next day was in the weird Swiss chalet-style restaurant - bog standard buffet of dried fruit and cereals and some nice pastries and bread. As 5C members we were upgraded to a premium room which was pleasant enough but overall it was disappointing.

Chewton Glen still seems to be the market leader but we find the location seriously dull - it's a long drive to somewhere interesting, such as the Dorset coast and countryside.
We thought the Four Seasons completely soulless though the pool was nice when it wasn't packed with kids.

On a general note, I don't think UK hotels measure up to their international counterparts and so we tend to seek out more characterful places - the best we've found in the past few years has been the Driftwood in Cornwall.
Old Nov 17, 2013, 6:31 pm
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by Pausanias
Whatley Manor is way overpriced -

overall it was disappointing.

We thought the Four Seasons completely soulless though the pool was nice when it wasn't packed with kids.
I agree entirely with both of these mini-reviews -- the so-so nature of the accommodations at Whatley Manor, and the sterility of the Four Seasons Hampshire -- which was indeed overrun with kids when we were there.

My favorite is Coworth Park, which has better rooms and food than Limewood, and a very decent spa, although slightly less impressive than Limewood's.

Note that I haven't been to Chewton Glen yet. Another interesting possibility is the refurbished Cliveden -- apparently by the owners of Chewton Glen? I'm fuzzy on the details, but am intrigued.
Old Apr 30, 2014, 7:31 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, SPG Gold. I share these affiliations so that you can ask me questions about the programs
What a wonderful thread!

Any update on Lucknam Park and Four Seasons Hampshire?
Old May 1, 2014, 3:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
Originally Posted by Goodmorning2U
What a wonderful thread!

We are at Hampshire this weekend. Its very simple - if you've got kids its great, if you don't like kids then don't go at a weekend!

Works well for us. Our kids like Oliver the hotel dog, our daughter is going riding, my wife has some spa stuff booked, both kids will be in the pool every day and we can eat in the bistro at 5.45 and get the kids fed and off to bed before grown ups want to hit the restaurant. They will also do breakfast via room service for no extra cost if you have a breakfast inclusive rate.

And it is only a 70 minute drive.
Old May 1, 2014, 4:17 am

Sounds good - Who needs their own country pad with that on your doorstep - Raffles?
Old May 1, 2014, 10:48 am

Originally Posted by Goodmorning2U

Not sure how recent you are looking for, but here is our trip report from 2 or 3 years ago. Of course, there may have been updates since that time.
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/luxur...e-england.html

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.