Community
Wiki Posts
Search

English countryside hotels

Search this Thread

Old Jul 30, 2011, 8:01 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold
I just stayed at Limewood for a night. We were there for a wedding and were allocated a forest hideaway suite in the main building. It was a duplex which, while nice, was less impressive than the forest hideaway suite I saw in the Crescent (no fireplace for example). It was also ridiculously hot with no aircon. I would definitely have moved if I had been staying for a longer period. Strangely some of the basic rooms on the top floor of the main house do have aircon, but not the more expensive suites.

Staff were very nice and the food and spa are both excellent. I'd go back, but would stay in one of the annexes.

We took the train from London Waterloo, which only took 1.5 hours and then a ten minute taxi ride from Brockenhurst station. Much more relaxing than the M3 drive, especially on a Friday/Sunday evening.
Old Jul 30, 2011, 8:20 am

Programs: *
Originally Posted by Londonjetsetter
It was also ridiculously hot with no aircon.
Given lack of aircon would you recommned this hotel at this time of the year? I was thinking of going there for few days next week but having reservations now.
Old Jul 30, 2011, 8:47 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ani90
Given lack of aircon would you recommned this hotel at this time of the year? I was thinking of going there for few days next week but having reservations now.
The rooms in the annexes seemed cooler and, as I mentioned above, some rooms do have aircon. I would mention when booking that you need a cool room. Otherwise I really liked the place and would go back.
Old Jul 30, 2011, 9:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
Hugely unlikely you will need aircon anywhere in the UK this Summer, frankly! I am in an English coastal town today wearing a sweater, and had to send out for a hot water bottle last night.
Old Jul 30, 2011, 9:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Raffles
Hugely unlikely you will need aircon anywhere in the UK this Summer, frankly! I am in an English coastal town today wearing a sweater, and had to send out for a hot water bottle last night.
I just stayed at Limewood...ridiculously hot with no aircon
?

great info re rooms and train Londonjetsetter ^

its odd they dont put aircon info online, and the room counts dont match between pages

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Jul 30, 2011 at 9:51 am
Old Jul 30, 2011, 10:48 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
?

great info re rooms and train Londonjetsetter ^

its odd they dont put aircon info online, and the room counts dont match between pages
The weather was fairly cool when I was at Limewood and it was still too warm to sleep and other guests said the same. Not sure why it was so bad but the roof light in our room didnt help. It is going to be warm next week so will only get worse.
Old Jul 30, 2011, 1:56 pm

The rooms in the annexes seemed cooler and, as I mentioned above, some rooms do have aircon. I would mention when booking that you need a cool room. Otherwise I really liked the place and would go back.
That would make sense.
Is it an older building that you were in, with thick walls and sun facing for most of the day?

We were in a room in ashford castle in the northwest of Ireland last weekend that was like a furnace despite outside temps being only around 20c.
Aircon there consists of opening the window.
Old Aug 1, 2011, 6:24 am

Glad to see they have, at least, put some aircon in the main building, as we thought it would be impossible to sleep without it. Even in the annexes, I think they need aircon and hope they will put this in at some point - they said they were reconsidering.

It is odd how many new UK hotels (and Irish) think that aircon is not necessary. We may not get too many hot days in this part of the world, but when we do (high season!!!) it is insufferable, I agree.

The suites in The Crescent are cool if you leave all the windows open, but I would, at least, like to have fans.
Old Aug 9, 2011, 2:32 am

Where to stay for 2 days next week

Hi,

I've seen this thread and others about English countryside hotels. My wife and I are going to Oxford this Friday, where we'll stay for 1-2 days. I have to be in London early next week. That leaves 1-2 days in the middle. I'm looking for a beautiful property that offers a typical lavish British countryside experience. Cost is not an issue.

In Oxford, I'm staying at the Old Bank hotel. Does anyone have other recommendations for properties that are better?

Thanks for your help.

Last edited by rjhunjhu; Aug 6, 2012 at 3:52 am
Old Feb 23, 2013, 8:24 am
Aman 5+ BadgeFour Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: UA1K, *G & Wife of UA1K MM
I'm thinking of going to London with Mr. Ericka again this Spring. Are there any good hotels or B&Bs in the Peak District?

For B&Bs, this looks kind of cute....Dannah Farm. It's a working tenant farm on the Chatsworth Estate. Lots of exposed beams and original stone walls.

I have yet to find any true luxury in this area.

Last edited by Ericka; Feb 23, 2013 at 9:38 am
Old Feb 25, 2013, 9:24 am

Originally Posted by Ericka
I'm thinking of going to London with Mr. Ericka again this Spring. Are there any good hotels or B&Bs in the Peak District?

For B&Bs, this looks kind of cute....Dannah Farm. It's a working tenant farm on the Chatsworth Estate. Lots of exposed beams and original stone walls.

Sadly, the Peak District is almost entirely devoid of good hotels - it is a real desert.
Old Feb 25, 2013, 12:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

http://www.callowhall.co.uk/

You might want to google and see what you think.
Old Feb 25, 2013, 8:00 pm
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeAman Contributor Badge

I have several different friends who each enjoyed The Peacock Inn, which you can find via MrandMrsSmith.com. It's by no means a luxury hotel, but they rave about the service and charm of the public spaces, while noting that the guest rooms are small with very small bathrooms. Charming, and probably the best bet in the Peak District, but as others have said, there are no true luxury hotels/resorts in the area.
Old Feb 25, 2013, 8:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM 1 MM; Hz PC
Originally Posted by rjhunjhu
Hi,I've seen this thread and others about English countryside hotels. My wife and I are going to Oxford this Friday, where we'll stay for 1-2 days. I have to be in London early next week. That leaves 1-2 days in the middle. I'm looking for a beautiful property that offers a typical lavish British countryside experience. Cost is not an issue.

In Oxford, I'm staying at the Old Bank hotel. Does anyone have other recommendations for properties that are better?Thanks for your help.

Some in the Cotswolds are stupendous. Easy drive from Oxford.
Old Feb 27, 2013, 6:20 am

Programs: BA Silver, HH Silver.

http://www.cavendish-hotel.net/accommodation/ ^^

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.