Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Luxury Hotels and Travel
Reload this Page >

English countryside hotels

Old Aug 7, 2010, 9:30 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold

I have been researching a weekend break for late October/early November. Priorities are pretty countryside, good food, roaring fires and within 2.5 hours of London. FS Hampshire is an obvious choice, but the photos I have seen just don't appeal to me - it seems to lack warmth and the restaurant looks like an 80's nightclub. Otherwise Whatley Manor looks lovely, although the rooms perhaps a little chintzy. Babington House - trendy, but probably not great service and, according to Tripadvisor, swarming with out of control children. Anywhere else I should consider?
Old Aug 7, 2010, 12:07 pm
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeHilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Hilton*D, Marriott*LG, Hyatt*G
What about Chewton Glen or Goodwood Park? Manoir au Quat'Saisons?

This may or may not help you but here is a fairly comprehensive list of English County House Hotels:

http://www.britainsfinest.co.uk/hote...15/startrow/1/
Old Aug 7, 2010, 12:36 pm
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: Virtuoso, FSPP, STARS, MO FAN Club, PEN Club, Bellini Club, Dorchester Diamond Club, Travel Leaders
Here's a Google Map of the Virtuoso Hotels of England outside of London.
Old Aug 7, 2010, 1:30 pm

Four Seasons comes highly recommended by FT'er Raffles, maybe PM him for more info. I think Le Manoir is great, and depending on your room you can have your own roaring log fire. I really enjoy Babbington. It's not luxury (although it is expensive and trendy) but is very laid back, comfortable and fun. I suspect there are fewer children there in term time, but if you don't want children around then don't go there. Le Manoir would be more suitable. As for the rest, I would not go to any of them. Most UK country hotels are ghastly and incredibly naff. I'd rather stay in a nice pub (seriously). Summer Lodge is absolutely dire. I can't explain how horrible it is. And friends who have been to Chewton Glen report bad experiences. With respect to DavidO, if these two are recommended by Virtuoso, it doesn't say much for them.
Old Aug 7, 2010, 3:52 pm

There's Hotel Endsleigh in Devon. You'd have to do a bit of research though because I've read some bad trip reports concerning management as well as the dining, but it looks like a an absolutely stunning place to stay in the English countryside. I've always wanted to visit.

If you're staying within the city (London), there's always The Dukes and Blakes Luxury Hotel. Two more I've always wanted to try out while overseas.
Old Aug 7, 2010, 7:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

there is quite a bit of discussion here. 2.5 hours would be the limiting factor.

vuittonsofstyle has been to most.

not sure whats up with Endsleigh ownership/management, considering everlands bought and then shut down.
Old Aug 8, 2010, 4:49 am

Programs: BA BD SA
What's Cliveden like these days? I haven't stayed but have walked around the gorgeous grounds. It hasn't been well reviewed here but there also haven't been any recent reviews AFAIK. Is it possible the management issues have been resolved?
Old Aug 8, 2010, 4:55 am

Programs: UA Gold MM, AA EXP, Delta Platinum, Marriott Titanium, HHonors Diamond, Natl EE, Hertz Platinum
Thumbs up A few recommendations

Here are a few recommendations based on my experience driving out from London ...

First, a few to stay away from: Babington was indeed over run by kids when we were there and the staff was very pretentious (a common theme!). Other than that, the rooms and facilities were excellent. Barnsley House in the Cotswolds is also a very nice property, but the staff were again very pretentious (and frankly they are WAY over-priced). Also avoid the Hand-Picked Hotel properties as they tend to have nice websites but bedrooms that look like the Hilton.

If you want classic Old English roaring fireplaces and creaky floors, the best we've found is Gravetye Manor in West Sussex / Surrey (south of London). It's an R&C property. It won't be as modern as Babington, but you will definitely find touches of "quaint" luxury. The food is excellent and the service is usually straight-forward, if not a bit stuffy / old English. These are definitely the biggest fireplaces around! There is a beautiful garden and sweeping views of the countryside. I'm not sure what's around there by way of activities though. When we were there, a bunch of old Englishmen were celebrating their daily hunt in the private dining room.

We really enjoyed Lucknam Park in the Cotswolds. It is extremely comfortable with excellent staff and really great food and facilities. The pool/spa area is amazing and the rooms are exceptionally comfortable. There is nothing more dramatic than taking the turn down their front driveway up to the property. The other plus for Lucknam Park is all the great activities to take advantage of on-site, from the walking to the horseback riding. It's much more modern than Gravetye -- a very different experience.

The "hot" new property that everyone is buzzing about at the moment is south of London in the New Forest. It's called Limewood. I've never been, but it's next on the list to visit. So far I've heard nothing but good reviews.

Other interesting properties are Lords of the Manor (in a tiny, quaint little Cotswolds town) and Calcot Manor (also in the Cotswolds). I stayed at Lords and it was fine -- a great getaway if you want somewhere quiet.
Old Aug 8, 2010, 5:32 am
Suspended

Programs: Air Canada Aeroplan, Lufthansa Miles & More, Flying Blue, Hyatt Gold Passport
I love the Ashdown Park hotel in Sussex. Very close to London (just outside the M25, IIRC), although it can definitely take 2.5 hours if the traffic is bad. For me it's got that balance of luxury but still with a distinctive character. Beautiful grounds, fantastic for walking or running. Very nice rooms.
Old Aug 8, 2010, 5:38 am

Programs: I am a lowly ant
You can try Pennyhill Park.... About half-an-hour from Heathrow. 45,000 sq ft spa.
Old Aug 8, 2010, 8:12 am
Aman 10+ BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Programs: TPPS, UA, EK ...; Marriott BONVOY , HH, GP, GC..
Haven't been back for years but The Manor House Hotel ,Castle Combe and Amberley Castle, Arundel seem to have what you are looking for. You'll need to check how things are now though
Old Aug 9, 2010, 9:21 am
Original Poster

Thanks everyone for very helpful suggestions. I am already going to Limewood next summer for a wedding, so will leave that one until then.

Interesting that Alex Polizzi's place in Devon has a very basic website.

I'd never heard of Lucknam Park before - looks good.
Old Aug 9, 2010, 9:30 am

Here is a full list with comments:-

Lime Wood - absolutely excellent, but in the summer stay in one of the anexes, not the main house, as it gets too hot and there is no air-con. Spa opens in October, and is looking good. One of my favourites.

Chewton Glen - Very accomplished indeed. Quite traditional, but with very good service. The newer rooms/suites are best as they are more contemporary. Majority have the best bathrooms in England. Has very good air-con, good spa, indoor and outdoor pools, landscaped grounds etc etc

Whatley Manor - Excellent food. Rooms can be a bit eclectic and bathrooms generally are small, but very good service, great gardens and public rooms.

Four Seasons Hampshire - Great for families with young kids or for a conference venue, but less so for couples. Main pool is right next to spa, so when it is full of kids it is hardly restful. Good service, OK food, but ultimately, the hotel is too big for a genuine English country house hotel escape.

Cliveden - pretentious, pseudo English pile with historic interest but little else of note.

Babington House - Fine if you have young kids and don't mind a mess and a touch of chaos.

Manor House Castle Combe - very four star. Some interesting rooms, but painful service at times and not great food.

Amberley Castle - designed for people who are gullible about ghosts and history, but not top notch in terms of hotelkeeping. Food has improved lately, but it's a bit suffocating to stay there.

Barnsley House - Vastly improved since it was taken over by the owners of Calcot Manor, who have refurbished and instilled real service standards. Hotel also operates The Village pub, which is across the road. food here is exceptional. main hotel is in grounds of Rosemary Verey's famed gardens. A very pretty, Cotswold haunt.

Gravetye Manor - just been sold to new owner, so probably not a great time to go. It needs loads of work, apart from its lovely gardens. Best wait until they decide what they are doing.

Lucknam Park - Good in some ways (food & service) but not so good in others. Bathrooms are mostly very dated, no air-con. New spa with indoor pool, nice gardens, good equestrian centre. Bit stuffy.

Lords of the Manor - no idea why anyone even talks about this place. Tatty and tired.

Calcot Manor - very well run, but decidedly 4-star and aimed at families with young kids. Not luxury bracket.

Hotel Endsleigh - very good food and reasonable service but terrible rooms, especially bathrooms, which are truly dated. Lovely gardens, but not anywhere you would want to return to.

Hotel Tresanton - delightful Cornish seaside hotel. No pool but simple, clean rooms with lovely views of the harbour, very good service and terrific food. Best go here in summer though.

Gidleigh Park - buried in the heart of Dartmoor national park and much improved. Amazing food and great newly done accommodation. No spa, but plenty of fabulous walks. Roaring log fires etc etc.

Cowley Manor - owned by Jessica Sainsbury and just refurbished, so much better than it was a couple of years ago. indoor & outdoor pools, spa and contemporary take on Cotswolds.

Last edited by vuittonsofstyle; Aug 9, 2010 at 9:32 am Reason: addition
Old Aug 9, 2010, 9:37 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by vuittonsofstyle
Here is a full list with comments:-

Lime Wood - absolutely excellent, but in the summer stay in one of the anexes, not the main house, as it gets too hot and there is no air-con. Spa opens in October, and is looking good. One of my favourites.

Chewton Glen - Very accomplished indeed. Quite traditional, but with very good service. The newer rooms/suites are best as they are more contemporary. Majority have the best bathrooms in England. Has very good air-con, good spa, indoor and outdoor pools, landscaped grounds etc etc

Whatley Manor - Excellent food. Rooms can be a bit eclectic and bathrooms generally are small, but very good service, great gardens and public rooms.

Four Seasons Hampshire - Great for families with young kids or for a conference venue, but less so for couples. Main pool is right next to spa, so when it is full of kids it is hardly restful. Good service, OK food, but ultimately, the hotel is too big for a genuine English country house hotel escape.

Cliveden - pretentious, pseudo English pile with historic interest but little else of note.

Babington House - Fine if you have young kids and don't mind a mess and a touch of chaos.

Manor House Castle Combe - very four star. Some interesting rooms, but painful service at times and not great food.

Amberley Castle - designed for people who are gullible about ghosts and history, but not top notch in terms of hotelkeeping. Food has improved lately, but it's a bit suffocating to stay there.

Barnsley House - Vastly improved since it was taken over by the owners of Calcot Manor, who have refurbished and instilled real service standards. Hotel also operates The Village pub, which is across the road. food here is exceptional. main hotel is in grounds of Rosemary Verey's famed gardens. A very pretty, Cotswold haunt.

Gravetye Manor - just been sold to new owner, so probably not a great time to go. It needs loads of work, apart from its lovely gardens. Best wait until they decide what they are doing.

Lucknam Park - Good in some ways (food & service) but not so good in others. Bathrooms are mostly very dated, no air-con. New spa with indoor pool, nice gardens, good equestrian centre. Bit stuffy.

Lords of the Manor - no idea why anyone even talks about this place. Tatty and tired.

Calcot Manor - very well run, but decidedly 4-star and aimed at families with young kids. Not luxury bracket.

Hotel Endsleigh - very good food and reasonable service but terrible rooms, especially bathrooms, which are truly dated. Lovely gardens, but not anywhere you would want to return to.

Hotel Tresanton - delightful Cornish seaside hotel. No pool but simple, clean rooms with lovely views of the harbour, very good service and terrific food. Best go here in summer though.

Gidleigh Park - buried in the heart of Dartmoor national park and much improved. Amazing food and great newly done accommodation. No spa, but plenty of fabulous walks. Roaring log fires etc etc.

Cowley Manor - owned by Jessica Sainsbury and just refurbished, so much better than it was a couple of years ago. indoor & outdoor pools, spa and contemporary take on Cotswolds.
Wow - this is a post to print out and keep! Many thanks, incredibly helpful.
Old Aug 9, 2010, 1:55 pm

Programs: UA Gold MM, AA EXP, Delta Platinum, Marriott Titanium, HHonors Diamond, Natl EE, Hertz Platinum
Ah yes, I forgot Cowley Manor. Nice place, a touch on the modern side if you're looking for a classic British experience. But overall very nice property.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.