English countryside hotels

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

English countryside hotels

Search this Thread

Old Jun 15, 2017, 11:06 pm

Originally Posted by KatW
Curious, MacMyDay, have you stayed at Gravetye just outside East Grinstead?
I have not. I've seen you mention it a few times, but it just doesn't appeal to me and I feel that I would be bored after less than 24 hours.
Old Jun 16, 2017, 1:20 am

I think younger people regard classic English country house hotels as staid and boring. Especially if they lack facilities like a decent spa - Gravetye, Lympstone, Le Manoir and many others spring to mind. But hotels such as Lucknam Park, Luton Hoo, Chewton Glen, Lime Wood and (when it re-opens) Cliveden have the full spa/pool/tennis thing to amuse the bright young things.

Older people like me don't worry too much as we just get in our cars and drive around the area, visiting big houses and gardens, walking around the Lakes or the Highlands. I'm a big fan of Gravetye and regard it as a base for exploring some lovely places in Sussex and also as a convenient airport hotel when flying from Gatwick.
Old Jun 16, 2017, 2:12 am

Originally Posted by Pausanias
I agree and also disagree. At an Aman hotel, for example, requests like this are met without a problem and do in one sense define luxury. And Aman hotels have no culinary axes to grind or Michelin starred reputations to protect.

However, at a place like Michael Caines, or Raymond Blanc or Michel Roux, asking for chips is asking for trouble. Some people here might recall Nico Ladenis who famously expelled guests who asked for salt at his three star place. I was once expelled from a two-star place in Scotland for saying the lamb was tasteless. And at L'Enclume I was subjected to a third degree because I didn't eat every one of those tedious 17 courses.!
I think there's a big difference between doing this in a restaurant and doing this in a hotel. Most luxury hotels would say that they strive to make the guest feel like it's a 'home away from home'. On that basis a request should never be too much trouble. Therein lies the problem with chefs running hotels, especially if they're running it without the core standards of a management company. In contrast you go to a restaurant to eat what they offer on their menu. We were recently at Coworth Park and my daughter wanted Mac and Cheese for lunch. I looked at the room service menu but it wasn't on there (no surprise) but I simply rang up and asked for it. There wasn't even a quibble - 'Of course Sir' was the reply.

Last edited by jp-mco; Jun 16, 2017 at 2:18 am
Old Jun 16, 2017, 7:30 am

I think younger people regard classic English country house hotels as staid and boring. Especially if they lack facilities like a decent spa - Gravetye, Lympstone, Le Manoir and many others spring to mind. But hotels such as Lucknam Park, Luton Hoo, Chewton Glen, Lime Wood and (when it re-opens) Cliveden have the full spa/pool/tennis thing to amuse the bright young things.

Older people like me don't worry too much as we just get in our cars and drive around the area, visiting big houses and gardens, walking around the Lakes or the Highlands. I'm a big fan of Gravetye and regard it as a base for exploring some lovely places in Sussex and also as a convenient airport hotel when flying from Gatwick.
I too am an older person but a gym for me is a must be it a country or city hotel
Old Jun 16, 2017, 9:52 am

Programs: LHW membership
Smile The Pig

I absolutely loved the Pig at Combe. Such a lovely countryside property just 15min car drive from Honiton train station in Dorset county. Do not come here if you expect a five star luxury, although there are so many things they do that are truly luxurious:
- I loved the quirky hotel design, every details is so well thought through
- Smeg mini fridges in every room with some locally produced treats (wine, beer, biscuits, fudge, chips, you name it...)
- fluffy towels with organic, non artificial amenities in the bathroom
- the food : we tried the breakfast, lunch at the Folly, dinner at the main restaurant and even snacks at the bar. Every dish was a delight. Home made bread, granola, honey, butter.....we loved it.
- the garden at the back is full of herbs and salads that are grown for customers. The entire area smells amazing!
- like MacMyDay said, my massage I had with 'Arda' ( my apologies if I got the name wrong), was truly unique; recent treatments at Amanzoe and Bulgari Spa were nowhere near as good.

There is no gym, no spa ( apart from the two sheds where they do treatments). However you can get specially designed maps that take you through some adventurous walks in the area.

I would recommend this property to everyone who wants to have a nice, relaxed weekend in the countryside with some great food, relaxed atmosphere and smiling faces all around you.
Old Jun 16, 2017, 10:07 am

I, too, love The Pig at Combe. I love its lack of pretention - very refreshing for a UK country house hotel.
Old Jun 16, 2017, 10:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

considering recent positive comments re soho house hotels (or just latest one?) in london, what about countryside?
Old Jun 16, 2017, 10:15 am

Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
considering recent positive comments re soho house hotels (or just latest one?) in london, what about countryside?
I don't think they compete with Robin Hutson's Pig Hotels
Old Jun 16, 2017, 9:54 pm
Original Member

Yes, so many worthy garden sites, starting with William Robinson's own at Gravetye. Then, Nymans, Standen, Great Dixter, Oast House, Batemans, Borde Hill, Hever, Sissinghurst,

Not to mention summer opera at Glydebourne. http://www.glyndebourne.com
Old Jun 17, 2017, 5:14 am

Well said. Different strokes for different folks. I did enjoy The Pig, even if they did not have a spa, as they have so much land and gardens to explore, along with having a very relaxed atmosphere everywhere.
Old Jun 17, 2017, 9:57 am
Community Director Emerita

Originally Posted by MacMyDay
I did enjoy The Pig, even if they did not have a spa, as they have so much land and gardens to explore, along with having a very relaxed atmosphere everywhere.
You've posted a couple pictures on Instagram of the property that I really enjoyed. The lounge looks like a place I'd love to sit and read and the pig statues outside are very whimsical. At which location were you?
Old Jul 25, 2017, 1:32 am

Here are some pictures from Cliveden House, including photos of the new spa.

Overall, I would not return, for the simple reason that Coworth Park is better in every area, excluding food and the grounds. However, at least at Coworth the food is readily available and often contains portion sizes worthy of being called food. In our 2 day stay, they have ran out of: oysters, carrots, lamb, breadsticks and even bread. The prices are identical to Mayfair, yet somehow the portions are even smaller. The sound of passing airplanes and the hordes of crowds visiting the beautiful grounds is not exactly what I would consider luxury either.

The service is just way too inconsistent, with giggling teenagers apparently in charge during lunch times whom learnt the art of decorum from watching Big Brother. Or they learnt it from the guests, as last night a large double decker party bus turned up for a group to descend upon the property and get pissed for some stag/hen do. It reminds me far too much of my recent Amanzoe experience, in that no matter what you asked for, you would not actually get it and would await to see what would go wrong in the process of it.

Even the brand new spa managed to be a let down. I am not bothered by the requirement of chemical free like many other members on FlyerTalk, yet even I could appreciate the awful smell and large quantities of chlorine used in the spa. Even after 2 showers the smell lingered on. On the second day they had to shut the indoor and outdoor jacuzzi as the PH was too high. The decision to put only 8 loungers by the indoor pool, yet an endless supply by the outdoor one didn't make much sense to me either, especially as it's currently July and 14C. There must be only 30 days a year where the outdoor pool is actually going to be used, so why take up so much space with it? My partner will add into the new dedicated spa thread on her less-than-perfect spa experience as well.

As some positives, I really did enjoy the food. Overpriced, sure, but definitely of very high quality. I've already mentioned the grounds, but they really are impressive; if only the weather stayed nice for more than an hour. That really is about it.

It's not awful, it's just what I now consider to be average. I came, I saw, I leave knowing it's not for me. Give me Chewton Glen (same owners) or Coworth any day. If you like Ashford Castle then you'll likely enjoy Cliveden.
Old Jul 25, 2017, 2:34 am

-- --

Last edited by QPRfan; Nov 6, 2018 at 10:56 am
Old Jul 25, 2017, 4:30 am

Thanks Macmyday for checking out Cliveden on all our behalfs. Your review confirms my idea of what it is like these days and I'm glad we nixed it for our upcoming trip to Heathrow. I've been looking at your pictures on Flickr and while I thought the indoor pool looked spectacular (of course I lacked your olfactory advantage) the shots of the legendary outdoor pool looked rather scruffy. The pool is I believe a Listed building which perhaps limits the hotel's ability to do anything to it.
Old Jul 25, 2017, 9:48 am
Aman 10+ BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Programs: TPPS, UA, EK ...; Marriott BONVOY , HH, GP, GC..
Thanks Macmyday for checking out Cliveden on all our behalfs. Your review confirms my idea of what it is like these days and I'm glad we nixed it for our upcoming trip to Heathrow. I've been looking at your pictures on Flickr and while I thought the indoor pool looked spectacular (of course I lacked your olfactory advantage) the shots of the legendary outdoor pool looked rather scruffy. The pool is I believe a Listed building which perhaps limits the hotel's ability to do anything to it.
Originally Posted by QPRfan
Thanks for the review! I was going to cancel any thoughts of staying there from my mind, but then you finished with the idea that those who like Ashford Castle would like Cliveden, and I really liked Ashford Castle, so please could you expand on this and explain why?

I was back in Southport (the Open was at Royal Birkdale) this past weekend, and so am sunburnt. Maybe you need to head further north to experience the good weather!!
Thanks for posting honestly , Macmyday , that was what I feared
Will can plan for LHR stopover too .

But I did enjoy Ashford Castle , but my goodness , it is now 10 years ago .
Perhaps quite different now , along with the " new " crowd ( s )
Yes , will also like to know why with Ashford Castle link & what aspects ..

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.