Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hong Kong hotel recommendations

Search this Thread

Old Dec 18, 2010, 9:20 pm
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
Other options: Langham Place (edgier), IC and Sheraton Towers across the street from the Pen (cheaper and almost as good), W (newer and fast to airport)
Old Dec 18, 2010, 10:20 pm

Originally Posted by FAA1996
Thanks, is there another hotel that is in the same class as the Peninsula? I wanted to try something different, but if not, I may go back to the Peninsula and try one of their Deluxe Harbour View rooms.
I'm a big fan of the Landmark MO, but it is completely different from the Pen (very current/much younger/much more stylish). I'd imagine the MO would be a good alternative to the Pen, if you're looking for something different but not as boutiquey as the LMO.
Old Dec 19, 2010, 4:50 am

Programs: Virgin FC, Qantas, Golden Circle, Sofitel, Hyatt, Starwood, Nectar, and my Tesco Club Card
Thanks, is there another hotel that is in the same class as the Peninsula? I wanted to try something different, but if not, I may go back to the Peninsula and try one of their Deluxe Harbour View rooms.
The Island Shangri La is generally considered the better of the two Shangri La hotels in Hong Kong
Old Dec 19, 2010, 6:29 am

I'm traveling to HK next March and could ise some information for making my hotel decision; traveling through an agency and have the choice of a two hotels: the Peninsula or the Kowloon Shangri La.
I have stayed at the Peninsula twice before, but never at the Shangri La. I would like to try something different, but my traveling companion has never been to the Peninsual so it would eb a nice experience for her.
Any suggestions are welcome. Thanks!

yours is not a dilemma at all !
betwn the two its gotta be the Peninsula .

if you want another choice in kowloon that may be considered a challenge to the Pen - it would have to be the Intercontinental .......thought ild never say it ever..... but then i still think of it as the Old Regent.....so its ok .....

if Hong Kong side is what you want then its the classic MO for its central locale ......the pacific place hotels ie upper house conrad island shangrila are just too way out for me but if i had to choose here it would have to be thr conrad ....and i dislike the 4seasons

As it happens i just returned from HK today and had an amazing and faultless stay at the Grand Hyatt ......excellent everything even the necessity for the use of taxis to get around is fine for me and the harbour view is something else ........

the grand club is just the best

Last edited by bearbrick; Dec 19, 2010 at 6:55 am
Old Dec 19, 2010, 1:41 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Thanks for all the info, will probably go back to the peninsula so that my travelncompanion can experience what it's like. More than likely though, the room at the peninsulamwould not have a view, but the one at the shnagri la would be harbor view, with this in mind, would a stay at the peninsula still be better?...
Old Dec 19, 2010, 4:36 pm

Programs: AA ExPlat, AS MVP Gold
Thanks for all the info, will probably go back to the peninsula so that my travelncompanion can experience what it's like. More than likely though, the room at the peninsulamwould not have a view, but the one at the shnagri la would be harbor view, with this in mind, would a stay at the peninsula still be better?...
Stayed at Island Shangri La October of this year and Peninsula in 2007 and 2009. As classic a luxury experience as the Pen represents, I now prefer Island Shangri La. Room quality is at least equal, though my experience was limited to the Horizon Club floor. Speaking of the Club, daily nosh, beverages and private concierge services was a pleasant distinction. Harbor view from Shangri La is dynamite. Same fantastic view from the Club lounge.

Other factors: love the access to Pacific Place for shopping, to the subway for going pretty much anywhere and to nearby Central and Sheung Wan in one direction and Wan Chai in the other. And, frankly, the unrelenting tourist swarm in the Pen lobby is a bit of a turn off.

Just looked upthread and see Island Shangri La not an option for you . OK, well, the Pen then. . .and head up to the bar for the great harbour view.^

--mcz
Old Dec 19, 2010, 4:57 pm
Original Member

... the room at the peninsulamwould not have a view, but the one at the shnagri la would be harbor view, with this in mind, would a stay at the peninsula still be better?...
Go to Felix for the view if your room doesn't have it Staring at the harbour can be mesmerizing, so hard to say how important that view is; for some it is everything. I've only stayed in the tower corner suites at the Pen, so this was not an issue.
Old Dec 20, 2010, 4:09 am

Programs: Virgin FC, Qantas, Golden Circle, Sofitel, Hyatt, Starwood, Nectar, and my Tesco Club Card
Harbour view room at the Intercontinental? Fantastic Lobby Lounge as well
Old Dec 20, 2010, 10:18 am

Once again, thanks for all the suggestions. I will ask the tour operator about the Intercontinental, but more than likely will just do a courtyard room at the Peninsula. I've never stayed in the newer tower at the hotel and am wondering if anion ahs experience with rooms in both sections of the hotel that could give some insight and comparisons. Thanks!
Old Dec 21, 2010, 10:44 pm

Programs: archerjenner
I like the circuit Grand Stanford. Again, like RA, I can access for free at the club, and even these cheap prices. I had an absolutely fantastic service to the club on my last trip there and will return at the weekend.
Old Dec 22, 2010, 2:32 am
Original Member

I've stayed in suites in both the old/new parts of the Pen ... the new tower is better in every respect, it isn't a trade-off ... they deliberately built it to be the premium part of the hotel (as befits the prime location) and unlike many old hotels that have some features in the old rooms, there is no reason at all to pick a non-tower room, except price. Less than half the rooms in the Pen are in the tower, so I suppose the majority of Pen guests do without (9 floors of the 30 story tower are offices, only about 18 floors are for guest rooms/suites).
Old Dec 22, 2010, 5:27 am

Originally Posted by number_6
I've stayed in suites in both the old/new parts of the Pen ... the new tower is better in every respect, it isn't a trade-off ... they deliberately built it to be the premium part of the hotel (as befits the prime location) and unlike many old hotels that have some features in the old rooms, there is no reason at all to pick a non-tower room, except price. Less than half the rooms in the Pen are in the tower, so I suppose the majority of Pen guests do without (9 floors of the 30 story tower are offices, only about 18 floors are for guest rooms/suites).
Thanks; it sounds like a room with no view In the tower is better than any room in the original building (none of these have views, right)? Youre right about the price, we've been quoted about $300 more per night for a harbor view room in the tower than a room in the original building. With all this in mind, I'll heed everyones advice and switch to a non view rom at the peninsula; we'll probably spend most of our time sightseeing anyways.
Thanks for everyones help; I'll post a trip report when I get back!
Old Dec 22, 2010, 7:41 am

Programs: AC SE 2MM, too many others
Thanks; it sounds like a room with no view In the tower is better than any room in the original building (none of these have views, right)? Youre right about the price, we've been quoted about $300 more per night for a harbor view room in the tower than a room in the original building. With all this in mind, I'll heed everyones advice and switch to a non view rom at the peninsula; we'll probably spend most of our time sightseeing anyways.
Thanks for everyones help; I'll post a trip report when I get back!
If you are talking about suites or views, I would agree about tower vs old building. But if you are talking about regular rooms, I am not sure that I agree that the tower is necessarily that much better. I find the deluxe/superior class rooms in the tower to be a bit boxy for my taste, and though you can get a nice view harbour side, the Kowloon side view isn't anything special.

The problem with the old rooms is the view (or lack thereof) - but the rooms themselves (again, non-suites) are as nice to me.
Old Dec 22, 2010, 9:27 am
Aman 5+ BadgeFour Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: UA1K, *G & Wife of UA1K MM
Originally Posted by bearbrick
As it happens i just returned from HK today and had an amazing and faultless stay at the Grand Hyatt ......excellent everything even the necessity for the use of taxis to get around is fine for me and the harbour view is something else ........

the grand club is just the best
Wow. Looks very nice!
Old Dec 22, 2010, 10:58 am

Originally Posted by number_6
Go to Felix for the view if your room doesn't have it Staring at the harbour can be mesmerizing, so hard to say how important that view is; for some it is everything. I've only stayed in the tower corner suites at the Pen, so this was not an issue.
Me, too, although I did stay in the original hotel before the tower was built and I would never go back to that. The views from the tower are excellent and the quality of everything, given the 'new build' aspect is much better than the original, IMHO.

Just heard they were completely refurbishing the hotel next year, so that should be interesting.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.