Hong Kong hotel recommendations

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hong Kong hotel recommendations

Search this Thread

Old Jul 17, 2010, 6:20 pm

Programs: SPG Plat, Priority Pass
Of the two you picked. The Conrad is a better choice. The rooms are nicer and the MTR station in the basement of Pacific Place Mall is very convenient.

I also agree with everyone else in saying that the Conrad and Grand Hyatt are business hotels, and not the top choices for a vacation.

For leisure travel especially first time to HK, I always recommend the Peninsula in a Grand Deluxe Harbour room or Superior Harbour or Deluxe Harbour View suites. It has the best views of the iconic HK skyline, and has the most feeling of hotel legacy to the stay.

The HK MTR or metro is extremely fast and convenient. You say your friends are on the HK side. Would it bother you alot to take the MTR a brief few minutes to meet them everyday? If it does, then go with the Four Seasons on the HK side. Largest rooms, most facilities, with good unobstructed harbour view rooms.

I can't comment on the best prices these days but that's what I think the best two options are for first time luxury hotel leisure travelers to HK.

Last edited by dko3tgk; Jul 17, 2010 at 6:25 pm
Old Jul 17, 2010, 10:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Lifetime Diamond, CX Gold, Mrs. Pickles travels for free
Originally Posted by BENLEE
+1.

Until the new Ritz Carlton opens end of this year, the contenders for truely luxurious properties in HK are still limited to the usual suspects, ie FS, LMO, MO and Pen.
Interesting to note that of the four usual suspects, all part of major luxury hotel chains worldwide, three of them are headquartered in HK.
Old Jul 18, 2010, 8:04 pm
Original Poster

Many thanks for all of your recommendations, they are very useful. I will check out more deals with Pen and FS.

Something arouse my interest.... I haven't yet stayed in any hotels for business, mostly travel for leisure What can be the difference to stay with a business hotel and leisure hotel in reality?? Any value added benefits, or different atmostphere?
Old Jul 19, 2010, 6:57 am

Programs: Krisflyer PPS, SPG, Hyatt GoldPassport, Shangri-la Golden Circle, British Airways ExecClub
Originally Posted by Pickles
Interesting to note that of the four usual suspects, all part of major luxury hotel chains worldwide, three of them are headquartered in HK.
Yes, Hong Kong need more new hotels esp luxury ones. There is an appaling lack of choice at the high end, relatively speaking when compare to say Shanghai.
Old Jul 21, 2010, 9:43 am

Programs: AC SE 2MM, too many others
Originally Posted by katiebear
Many thanks for all of your recommendations, they are very useful. I will check out more deals with Pen and FS.

Something arouse my interest.... I haven't yet stayed in any hotels for business, mostly travel for leisure What can be the difference to stay with a business hotel and leisure hotel in reality?? Any value added benefits, or different atmostphere?

Do you like having breakfast with a bunch of guys in dockers with blackberries strapped to their belts ?
Old Jul 23, 2010, 2:04 am

Four hotels are definitely above the competition and what is interesting is that it is 4 very different hotels.

Peninsula HKG : The Grand Dame of Hong Kong. It is one of the famous legendary hotels in Asia. The hotel has a wonderful charm, many restaurants option and, what must be of course noted, the best view in Hong Kong (from the Grand Deluxe Harbour View): just imagine being in front of the skyline, with a symphony of lights reflecting in the water with mountains in the back. A fabulous experience. The rooms are very Peninsula in style and may not be for everyone. They do have a great new salon de Ning which is the trendy and cosy part of the hotel. Restaurants for all tastes : view at Felix (Stark) but with some problems with the service and the food, a reall swiss restaurant (as if you entered a Swiss Chalet), Gaddi's for French Cuisine. But do not expect remarkable food, it is not the hotel's main asset. You go to the Peninsula for the atmosphere, the view (it is much better to see Hong Kong from Kowloon than the contrary) and the remarkable spa and swimming pool.
Remember than going from Kowloon to Hong Kong island can really be a mess so if you need for business to go from one side to the other, forget this hotel.

Four Seasons HKG : it is a bit the opposite in fact. The atmosphere has nothing special, you enter a big hall as in a convention hotel. But if you forget the entrance, you have a great FS service, great room product ( you can choose between oriental or contemporary style even if the difference is not huge). The rooms are very nicely furnished, lot of day light, very good size. The restaurants are really also the reason to go : only hotel in the world to feature two three michelin star restaurants, one French (Caprice) and one cantonese. The food, view, decor, service at Caprice are truly exceptional. An other great place is the outside deck with swimming pool which has a real elegance and style.

MO HKG : The only luxury asian hotel in style is not for everyone. Lobby quite oppressive and dark but very good service (one of the best in the Oriental Brand with Tokyo, Bangkok and Chiang Mai), charming rooms. I love the harbour room with there bathroom opened to the room and this part near the window with a sofa and a working table. Great atmosphere. Very nice cake shop, good restaurants and bars. This hotel is more dedicated to business than the two former ones.

Landmark MO : For those who seek luxurious service and trendy style (which usually does not fit together!!), the LMO is for you. Very interesting concept if you like all white rooms with great bathrooms, the latest technologies and a very personalized service.

The other famous brand is Shangri La but their property in Hong Kong is really disappointing. It is very aimed to asian taste but has rooms that are really now below competition. It is a shame as the hotel had some great assets such as the grand foyer, quite impressive, the great Lobster grill (love the atmosphere and ambiance). But you are many steps below the Pudong Grand Tower for instance. Last thing, the Cafe Too should also be completely redone as it looks like a mass market cruise line buffet (speaking about the style of the room, not the food which is ok). Once again if you know the incredible product they have in Shanghai or in Singapore, this one has to be changed.
Old Jul 23, 2010, 11:15 am

Very good summation of HK hotels, GLHadvisor. Welcome to Flyer Talk!
Old Jul 24, 2010, 8:24 pm

Programs: SPG Gold, HH Silver
Thanks for the great descriptions. I am afraid that you made it even MORE DIFFICULT to select a hotel though!

I for one an not partial to 'old world' hotels like the Peninsula seems to be from everyone's description including yours; the Landmark MO seems more of my style...but it seems that for a first time HK trip, at least one night there is called for, at least for history's sake...
Old Jul 24, 2010, 8:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Welcome to FT GLHadvisor. I stayed at the Peninsula a couple of years ago on my first trip. Returning in September and thought of trying the Intercontinental, which looked to have even better views. Your thoughts?
Old Jul 26, 2010, 2:33 am

Originally Posted by blueline7
Thanks for the great descriptions. I am afraid that you made it even MORE DIFFICULT to select a hotel though!

I for one an not partial to 'old world' hotels like the Peninsula seems to be from everyone's description including yours; the Landmark MO seems more of my style...but it seems that for a first time HK trip, at least one night there is called for, at least for history's sake...
If you prefer modern hotels, LMO will surely meet your expectations. BUT it is true that experiencing the Peninsula is something you should do but not for the reasons you mentionned. I would say that if it is a first trip to Hong Kong, the main reason to try the Peninsula would be to experience what makes Hong Kong so extraordinary : the skyscrappers in this unique setting with the water in front and the mountains below. And the only way to experience this in a luxury hotel in HKG for the moment is the Peninsula but only if you can afford the Grand Deluxe Harbour View Room. You wil not regret it and will surely stay half an hour or more in the evening watching this superb view!!! The LMO has nothing special in terms of view or city life. Locationwise, it is the less interesting of the four.
Old Jul 26, 2010, 2:39 am

Originally Posted by SFO777
Welcome to FT GLHadvisor. I stayed at the Peninsula a couple of years ago on my first trip. Returning in September and thought of trying the Intercontinental, which looked to have even better views. Your thoughts?
The Intercontinental is just in front of the Peninsula, more low building and closer to the water. The views are maybe a bit more intense but it is not sure as at the Peninusula you are 80 meters below but higher. What you must consider is that is is not the same category of hotel honestly. One, the Intercontinental, is a good five star hotel, but it is a big convention or business hotel with 500 rooms. The Peninsula is more a Palace full of history and style with only 300 rooms and a far better service IMO.
Old Jul 26, 2010, 9:01 am

Programs: SPG Gold, HH Silver
Originally Posted by GLHadvisor
The Intercontinental is just in front of the Peninsula, more low building and closer to the water. The views are maybe a bit more intense but it is not sure as at the Peninusula you are 80 meters below but higher. What you must consider is that is is not the same category of hotel honestly. One, the Intercontinental, is a good five star hotel, but it is a big convention or business hotel with 500 rooms. The Peninsula is more a Palace full of history and style with only 300 rooms and a far better service IMO.
I am already booked for 2 nights at the IC with a good harbor view...BUT would like to try the Peninsula for a night or two...so question is; is it still worth staying there if the view is no longer an issue since I will have already enjoyed the view for the previous couple nights at the IC?
Old Jul 26, 2010, 9:08 am

Originally Posted by blueline7
I am already booked for 2 nights at the IC with a good harbor view...BUT would like to try the Peninsula for a night or two...so question is; is it still worth staying there if the view is no longer an issue since I will have already enjoyed the view for the previous couple nights at the IC?
Difficult question!! Once again, if the view is the main point for you, do not move. If you would like to add to a great view elegance, service, history, great spa, beautiful salon de Ning, try the Peninsula. Honestly, if you are always outside and just come back in your hotel for 30 minutes to go to bed and watch the view, no use to change. If you intend to spend more time in the hotel, the Peninsula is far better IMO.
Old Jul 29, 2010, 11:09 am

Programs: Virtuoso, Marriott Stars/Luminous, Hilton Impresario, IHG Luxury & Lifestyle, Hyatt Prive etc
I have also been wondering where to stay in HK. It has to be a chain because I'll be using points, but I can't decide whether to try the IC (BOGOF plus 1 free night) or GH (book a suite). We'll be celebrating our anniversary so wants to be special but like clean lines/quite modern hotels. However, if spending money would have a limit of around £250/night, so thought points better. Any advice as to whether GH suite or IC harbour view would be better? Lounges are important to us for the free alcohol and food if there is any difference between them and I don't like staying above the 12th(ish) floor.

Last edited by price123; Jul 29, 2010 at 11:54 am
Old Jul 30, 2010, 2:40 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by price123
I have also been wondering where to stay in HK. It has to be a chain because I'll be using points, but I can't decide whether to try the IC (BOGOF plus 1 free night) or GH (book a suite). We'll be celebrating our anniversary so wants to be special but like clean lines/quite modern hotels. However, if spending money would have a limit of around £250/night, so thought points better. Any advice as to whether GH suite or IC harbour view would be better? Lounges are important to us for the free alcohol and food if there is any difference between them and I don't like staying above the 12th(ish) floor.
This is the Luxury hotels forum
There is an intercontinental hotels forum on this site where people who frequent those can answer.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.