Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hong Kong hotel recommendations

Search this Thread

Old Aug 1, 2010, 1:52 am
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
The IC ex-Regent still qualifies as a true luxury hotel even though it has faded from it's Regent days (though some of the staff and even the hotel cars like their vintage Daimlers date from that). The GH is of course a giant step down from the IC and cannot really compete except on price. The corner spa suites at the IC are arguably better than most of the suites at the Pen, for example. Sadly the restaurants at the IC have not done well in the past 5 years (quite a change from being some of the best hotel restaurants in the world, never mind in HKG; I miss Yu a lot, would fly down from Tokyo just to eat seafood there)
Old Aug 16, 2010, 8:28 pm

Question Recommendations for Hong Kong?

I will be in Hong Kong next month and want to stay in a modern 5-star hotel that's a bit of fun. Which hotels do you recommend?

Thanks in advance!
Old Aug 16, 2010, 8:44 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP 3 MM
The search function is very useful, even when using a word with only three letters (type a "*" after the three letter word/acronym, e.g., "LHW*")

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/luxur...endations.html

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/luxur...hong-kong.html

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/luxur...g-kong-13.html
Old Aug 17, 2010, 9:02 am

Programs: Flying Blue
W Hong Kong

I recently tried the W when stopping over in HK. The service was tip top, the hotel stunning, the pool and gym incredible. Plenty of restaurants (20min room service with a smile), a lot going on at lobby level and a huge mall in the basement with everything and anything else you might need.

The location is fantastic (despite its physical location). They have a car to transfer you into town (free). We would catch the transfer to the star ferry, do a bit of shopping, and hop across to the island for a bit more shopping/site seeing and back direct to the W by underground.

For the airport it is simply fantastic, check your luggage in at the station downstairs and got to the airport luggage free.

I've always been a huge Peninsula fan, but the W HK really was outstanding.
Old Aug 19, 2010, 4:11 am

Programs: Krisflyer PPS, SPG, Hyatt GoldPassport, Shangri-la Golden Circle, British Airways ExecClub
Originally Posted by Bungus
I recently tried the W when stopping over in HK. The service was tip top, the hotel stunning, the pool and gym incredible. Plenty of restaurants (20min room service with a smile), a lot going on at lobby level and a huge mall in the basement with everything and anything else you might need.

The location is fantastic (despite its physical location). They have a car to transfer you into town (free). We would catch the transfer to the star ferry, do a bit of shopping, and hop across to the island for a bit more shopping/site seeing and back direct to the W by underground.

For the airport it is simply fantastic, check your luggage in at the station downstairs and got to the airport luggage free.

I've always been a huge Peninsula fan, but the W HK really was outstanding.
I second what was said above. I just tried out this hotel recently and was quite impressed. Excellent room amenities and top notch for comfort factor. And in-room tech is well thought out and very convenient. My favourite hotels in HK remians the FSHK and the Landmark but W is a very nice alternative.
Old Aug 19, 2010, 10:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

quite impressive. ^

BENLEE, how would you compare service, and what about MO/Pen?
Old Aug 20, 2010, 11:54 am

Originally Posted by sanchez1977
I will be in Hong Kong next month and want to stay in a modern 5-star hotel that's a bit of fun. Which hotels do you recommend?

Thanks in advance!
The Landmark Mandarin Oriental is definitely a bit of fun. The MO Bar is very good indeed and the rooms/suites are quite wacky.
Old Aug 20, 2010, 4:16 pm
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeHilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Hilton*D, Marriott*LG, Hyatt*G
The Upper House, which is a Virtuoso property, may be an alternative as well. The standard rooms are very large and the hotel has a fun vibe to it. The Virtuoso amenities are: continental breakfast for 2 daily, one afternoon tea per stay, and upgrade if available at check-in.
Old Aug 21, 2010, 4:08 am

Programs: Krisflyer PPS, SPG, Hyatt GoldPassport, Shangri-la Golden Circle, British Airways ExecClub
Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
quite impressive. ^

BENLEE, how would you compare service, and what about MO/Pen?
I didn't really get to test out their service, as it was a very short transit stay, check-in afternoon and check-out early morning to catch a morning flight. I might try their suite next time.
Old Aug 22, 2010, 6:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF/KLM Club 2000 | InterContinental Diamond RA |AMEX Plat | Visa Infinite |Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by number_6
The IC ex-Regent still qualifies as a true luxury hotel even though it has faded from it's Regent days
I did not stay at the hotel when It was a Regent property, but was very happy with my recent stay at this hotel.

Executive suite with harbour view are around 70 sqm large, 3m high. I am not a big fan of the décor (too "corporate design"), but still very pleasant.
Very large marble bathroom and dresssing room.
And of course stunning view over the harbour (and somewhat lack of privacy as the large panoramic windows face the sidewalk bridge along the hotel).

Service was stellar, pool very pleasant, club lounge very nice (even if not the best I stayed in).

But MO Landmark has something more: very nice interior design, very urban atmosphere, ideal location.
Old Aug 24, 2010, 1:42 am
Original Poster

Finally stayed my first night at GH, a redeemed night from my friend's gold passport points. Stayed at Harbour View room, nothing block my very nice harbour view.

I also spent my rest of trips at Pen. Service is faultless, product is really great! Everything is perfect, but the view is not impressive compared to my first night.

Overall, I enjoyed a great trip in Hong Kong. The weather is fine, raining for some days, but not as hot as previous years.

What I would recommend, stay at Pen at least once when you visit Hong Kong, you cannot find any better to compete.
If you are a frequent traveller, would be great to consider a chain hotel with good rewarding programme.
Old Dec 18, 2010, 4:48 am

Programs: AA EXP
I'm traveling to HK next March and could ise some information for making my hotel decision; traveling through an agency and have the choice of a two hotels: the Peninsula or the Kowloon Shangri La.
I have stayed at the Peninsula twice before, but never at the Shangri La. I would like to try something different, but my traveling companion has never been to the Peninsual so it would eb a nice experience for her.
Any suggestions are welcome. Thanks!
Old Dec 18, 2010, 5:55 am

Programs: Virgin FC, Qantas, Golden Circle, Sofitel, Hyatt, Starwood, Nectar, and my Tesco Club Card
Originally Posted by FAA1996
I'm traveling to HK next March and could ise some information for making my hotel decision; traveling through an agency and have the choice of a two hotels: the Peninsula or the Kowloon Shangri La.
I have stayed at the Peninsula twice before, but never at the Shangri La. I would like to try something different, but my traveling companion has never been to the Peninsual so it would eb a nice experience for her.
Any suggestions are welcome. Thanks!
Kowloon Shangri la is a nice hotel particularly the executive harbour view rooms but it isn't in the same class as The Peninsula, nor is it as pricey.
Old Dec 18, 2010, 5:20 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by Kettering Northants QC
Kowloon Shangri la is a nice hotel particularly the executive harbour view rooms but it isn't in the same class as The Peninsula, nor is it as pricey.
Thanks, is there another hotel that is in the same class as the Peninsula? I wanted to try something different, but if not, I may go back to the Peninsula and try one of their Deluxe Harbour View rooms.
Old Dec 18, 2010, 5:55 pm
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: Virtuoso, FSPP, STARS, MO FAN Club, PEN Club, Bellini Club, Dorchester Diamond Club, Travel Leaders
Originally Posted by FAA1996
Thanks, is there another hotel that is in the same class as the Peninsula? I wanted to try something different, but if not, I may go back to the Peninsula and try one of their Deluxe Harbour View rooms.
You might consider the Mandarin Oriental (for something traditional) or the Four Seasons. Both are on the Hong Kong side.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.