Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, Brussels, LOT and Other Partners | Miles & More
Reload this Page >

Standby for earlier departure - LH Group [merged sameday standby Q&A thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Standby for earlier departure - LH Group [merged sameday standby Q&A thread]

Search this Thread

Old Sep 23, 2015, 7:02 pm

Programs: MM silver, Flying blue Platinum, A3 gold, Marriott platinum, IHG gold
Yes if you are willing to pay booking class difference (if Q is not available) plus fee to change the ticket.
So practically no LH and OS do not make any exceptions about that...

Originally Posted by llbean
I am booked on Friday from MUC-VIE on Austrian Airlines on flight operated by LH cityline. There is an earlier flight 4 hours earlier ( I am connecting). Is there anyway they will let me try and get on the earlier flight? Even for a fee?

I am Star Alliance Gold

My booking class is Economy Basic Q.

The earlier flight is operated by LH as well.

thanks
Old Sep 24, 2015, 4:23 am

As Mbcan said - if you are willing to pay the fare difference to the cheapest booking class available and the change fee (which will amount to quite a nice sum most probably together) then you're good to go. Otherwise, your chances for a free "change" are quite small. Not zero - but small*. But if you've booked the later flight regularly, and just want to change for the earlier one, be prepared to pay up or to wait.

*Some time ago I had the 8am flight cancelled on me, and me forced on the 10am flight with refusal to be put on the 7am flight as it was 5min under MCT. I made it to the gate (on 4 occassions) of the 7am flight each time, and they put me on it. But that was the case because I haven't booked the later flight but rather one similar to the one I eventually catched, plus being SEN might have helped as well.
Old Sep 24, 2015, 1:13 pm

Programs: M&M SEN
Asking never hurts. They may put you on the earlier if yours is overbooked. Have had that happen to me several times (no fees).
David
Old Nov 4, 2015, 12:05 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Standby on early flight on award ticket?

I am thinking about redeeming Lifemiles for DEL-IST-FRA-MAD with the FRA-MAD on LH all in J. Long layover in FRA right now.

What are the chances that LH will let me take an earlier flight FRA-MAD? Would be even willing to do that leg in coach rather then wait around at FRA for 6 hours.

I am *G with UA if that helps.

Thanks!
Old Nov 4, 2015, 12:09 pm

Programs: LH HON
Standby on early flight on award ticket?

Will you check bags?
Old Nov 4, 2015, 12:15 pm

Maybe one bag at most...
Old Nov 4, 2015, 1:01 pm

Chances aren't zero, but they're pretty close.
Old Nov 4, 2015, 1:51 pm

Got it, is my best shot to ask an agent at the LH biz class lounge?
Old Nov 4, 2015, 2:27 pm

Best way is to monitor award space and rebook as needed. LH will usually only co-operate if its in their interest (like if your flights is overbooked or some other issue).
Old Nov 5, 2015, 1:53 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
No dice. Even if there is space in the award booking class, they will ask you to change the ticket with the airline that issued it.
Old Nov 5, 2015, 6:50 am
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Lack
Chances aren't zero, but they're pretty close.
I second this. I was able to move to an earlier LH CDG-FRA two years ago while on a UA award by asking nicely at check-in (refer to post #124). Had no bags and award space on new flight was avail. UA couldn't reissue ticket despite award space being there as it would have caused more stopovers than the award allowed.
Old Nov 5, 2015, 2:54 pm

Programs: QF LTG, LH (SEN*** till 02/26), AF, AA, AB-G†
Originally Posted by davidcito
Asking never hurts. They may put you on the earlier if yours is overbooked. Have had that happen to me several times (no fees).
David
Er, no! I had some occasions, where I wanted to be rebooked onto an earlier flight. I was in booked in D (whole family of 4). They asked for 120 Euro to pay up for J. The earlier flight left with 7 seats in Business Class empty. Our flight was overbooked and they asked for volunteers to stay.

Last weekend I asked and was offered to pay 420 Euro for a short European flight to take a flight earlier (booked in P, old fares, Upfare and 60 Euro Change fee). Sorry. LH is smoking the wrong stuff.
Old Nov 20, 2015, 7:00 am

Programs: A3*G, Marriott Gold, Hilton Honors Gold, Radisson Rewards Premium
I have a query on this one too. I am booked VIE-FCO-FRA-DUB (VIE-FCO on OS and FCO-FRA-DUB on LH) on a flexible D class ticket and currently have a 4.5 hour connection in FCO and 1 hour in FRA. The earlier flight from FCO to FRA leaves 1/2 an hour after I'm due to arrive so I couldn't book it from the start as it doesn't meet the MCT. If I were to make it to the gate before the earlier flight leaves, what are the chances that the gate agent would allow me on? I wouldn't have any checked-in luggage.

I'd rather wait around in FRA than in FCO, as the flight to DUB is the last one of the day so if there's a delay on the FCO-FRA flight I'm booked on, I could end up missing it. I know this is all pure speculation but was wondering if anyone had any thoughts on it.

Thanks in advance!
Old Nov 20, 2015, 7:58 am

Standby for earlier departure - LH [merged sameday standby Q&A thread]

You may ask but the chances tend towards zero.
Even HON are generally not put on an earlier flight, except they are willing to pay the fare difference...
Old Nov 20, 2015, 8:35 am
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)

Programs: LH SEN** HH Diamond
Originally Posted by gpb_croppers63
I have a query on this one too. I am booked VIE-FCO-FRA-DUB (VIE-FCO on OS and FCO-FRA-DUB on LH) on a flexible D class ticket and currently have a 4.5 hour connection in FCO and 1 hour in FRA.
Is this a mileage run? Why such a convoluted route?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.