Wiki Posts
Search

op ups - who's chosen first

Search this Thread

Old Jul 27, 2008, 5:57 pm

Programs: LH and BA
Originally Posted by weero
Still - andre1970's always right.

LAX-HKG, LAX-NRT, and HKG-SIN are the only routes in the entire UA system where this works ... most of the time.

However I have been in full LAX-NRTs and full HKG-SINs, so it's not a universal rule. And try to get any form of upgrade on the IAD-EZE and see your theory shattered in an ugly way.
Mainly becasue there F is actually full with PAID people (SAT and SUN down / FRI SAT up....).
Old Jul 28, 2008, 5:59 am

Programs: UA1K, LH GM, AA EXP->GM
Originally Posted by DFW-SEN
That is one of the reasons, why LH operates more profitable than UA and is able to offer a decent premium product..
Well it doesn't. The it's now back to the old game that the UA F and C seats again are superior - or less inferior, I should say - than LH's dereliCt class.

Mind you, it might take them almost as long as it took LH to arm their fleet with the new seats.
Old Jul 28, 2008, 6:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP LT GLD 1MM, BA GLD, NH/UA*G, Hyatt Dia, Marr Tit LT PLT, IHG Spire,HH Dia, MGM NOIR,Hertz PC
Still - andre1970's always right.

LAX-HKG, LAX-NRT, and HKG-SIN are the only routes in the entire UA system where this works ... most of the time.

However I have been in full LAX-NRTs and full HKG-SINs, so it's not a universal rule. And try to get any form of upgrade on the IAD-EZE and see your theory shattered in an ugly way.
It's not a universal solution of course ! Something like this cant be done on all routes. Ex FRA for example even UA is often sold out.

And the HKG route falls away soon... But it served me well the last 6 months
Old Jul 28, 2008, 6:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP LT GLD 1MM, BA GLD, NH/UA*G, Hyatt Dia, Marr Tit LT PLT, IHG Spire,HH Dia, MGM NOIR,Hertz PC
That is one of the reasons, why LH operates more profitable than UA and is able to offer a decent premium product.......

Cheers, S
Without any doubt ! To compare LH against UA, Lufty wins hands down.

Havent tried the new UA C seat yet though
Old Jul 28, 2008, 7:33 am

Programs: LH SEN+, UA 1k, AA Plat, Solitaire PPS, BA Silver, :rolleyes:, :eek:
...and is able to offer a decent premium product.......

Cheers, S
Well, I still do prefer the new UA F suites to LH F any time I'm travelling alone...
Old Jul 28, 2008, 9:47 am

Originally Posted by Triple3
Well, I still do prefer the new UA F suites to LH F any time I'm travelling alone...
Even compared to a LH Airbus ?
I simply find the UA suites to narrow - for my sleeping preference -and that is also the same for BA or B747 SQ...

Cheers

THomas
Old Jul 28, 2008, 2:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: LH HON, BA Gold, EK Gold
Originally Posted by tcswede
Even compared to a LH Airbus ?
I simply find the UA suites to narrow - for my sleeping preference -and that is also the same for BA or B747 SQ...

Cheers

THomas
I think he was talking about the "new" F suite.
IIRC there are only 2 aircraft equipped with this new seat ?
Old Jul 29, 2008, 12:53 am

Originally Posted by Rambuster
Not 100% sure abt. the exact number but 2 seems a little low IMHO. I had a few flights already in the new F... the good thing is that they're eliminating the very very old so-called F in their 767s, too.
Old Jul 29, 2008, 6:49 am

Programs: too many
Originally Posted by oliver2002
If there is a transparent regular way to bypass buying expensive (ie profitable for LH) C/F tix, then LH will loose revenue. Plain and simple.
Well with all respect but that is too plain and simple for me. There is a new revenue (or miles burnt) on one side, and a possible loss on the other.

At least for the op-ups: Why not make a quick announcement like "anyone here interested in getting the upgrade at (xxx) points..." rather than giving it away to some (and infuriating others). I see no downside there.

And for the otherwise unused seats: If you want to be sure, you book and pay your desired class of travel anyways. For the "cheap" upgraders: In theory, supply and demand will make sure that the price of the Upgrade-at-the-gate will be right.

I can see that this kind of live auction at the gate is not in line with LH´s corporate image, but maybe there is a smarter way to do it, for instance by some screen / billboard etc.

Just my 2 cents...
Old Jul 29, 2008, 7:51 am

Originally Posted by Hardy
At least for the op-ups: Why not make a quick announcement like "anyone here interested in getting the upgrade at (xxx) points..." rather than giving it away to some (and infuriating others). I see no downside there.
if they need op ups i can tell you that they start asking people who have enough miles/vouchers at check in if they want to upgrade. happens to me all the time, i always decline with a smile.

in most cases i think they manage to get enough people who want to spend miles/vouchers, and its good that way. i for one are happy that they don't hand out upgrades for lower rates, of course people with not enough/many miles wont like it, but at least it protects the premium cabins. besides that, i never got sour when a family without status got upgraded to C in front of me even though i had status, i paid for Y so i travel Y, no problem. for the family it might be a once in life experience so let them have it. C to F upgrades they never really pass out free and when they have to i'm under the impression that they do follow status / booking class very strict.

nobody wants a system like UA has in place, handing out upgrades for a dime a dozen... you end up like me a few years ago when i was one of two paying pax in F in a full cabin (12 seats) on a SFO-SYD...
Old Jul 29, 2008, 5:18 pm

Originally Posted by skywalkerLAX
It's not a universal solution of course ! Something like this cant be done on all routes...
That is the euphemism of the century - it's like claiming that division by rational numbers is 'generally not possible' as there is one number by which cannot be divided.
Ex FRA for example even UA is often sold out.
Earlier than LH actually on many, many occasions.

I too deplore the axing of LAX-HKG, I loved it.
Old Jul 29, 2008, 5:37 pm

Originally Posted by Rambuster
I think he was talking about the "new" F suite.
Not many at least. I was in the new cabins on the 747 SFO-FRA service and the 767 ZRH hop ..

There are indeed only two 747s ... but a whole flock of 767s:
IAD-FRA - UA952/UA953
ORD-LHR - UA958/UA949
ORD-LHR - UA928/UA929
IAD-ZRH - UA936/UA937
IAD-LHR - UA920/UA921
SFO-ORD - UA134/UA863
SFO-JFK - UA6/UA4

But yes it resembles the first 17 years of the introduction of LH's 'NEW' C, indeed .
Old Jul 30, 2008, 12:48 am

Not many at least. I was in the new cabins on the 747 SFO-FRA service and the 767 ZRH hop ..
So you're now officially flying UA F?
Old Aug 3, 2008, 2:25 pm

Programs: LH
My experience from today:

One person called to the desk when I came.
Next, a couple near the table was asked, who is the LH employee. It was said, that they will op-up the other one (had a FTL tag on the hand luggage).
I wanted to ask, if the seat next to me is still free and instead, I got 1D.

How can I put into my profile, that I want a windows seat, not near the wing or the engine, not an exit or a bulk-head row. Do not mind the traveling class.
Old Aug 3, 2008, 2:29 pm

Programs: UA*G (1K again), Sixt Plat, *was*: SQ QPP01 & SK EBS/EBG, LH SEN, AA EXP, 9wPlat
Originally Posted by chumbawumba
How can I put into my profile, that I want a windows seat, not near the wing or the engine, not an exit or a bulk-head row. Do not mind the traveling class.
Is this sarcasm?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.