Community
Wiki Posts
Search

op ups - who's chosen first

Search this Thread

Old Jul 22, 2008, 6:24 pm
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
What has all of the above to do with the topic?
Old Jul 23, 2008, 2:04 pm

Programs: LH and BA
Originally Posted by oliver2002
nothing

We are just trying to be like the BA forum ....
Old Jul 23, 2008, 2:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: LH HON, BA Gold, EK Gold
Originally Posted by roundtheworld
nothing

We are just trying to be like the BA forum ....
The BA forum goes off topic with the second post - sometimes even the first !
Old Jul 23, 2008, 2:31 pm

Programs: M&M basic / happy Wizzair+ user :-)
Originally Posted by Rambuster
The BA forum goes off topic with the second post - sometimes even the first !
There is a thread in OMNI which even started off-topic
Old Jul 23, 2008, 4:18 pm

Programs: UA1K, LH GM, AA EXP->GM
Answering a non sensible question with nonsensical philosophy.

Question like "would WWII have happened, if Mars was 50 million kilometers further away?", "how heavy are all lawyers combined?", and "what does SEN+ stand for?" cannot be answered on topic.
Old Jul 26, 2008, 12:50 am

I was op-uped when boarding from C to F on MUC-SIN on Thursday. It was a fantastic surprise!
Old Jul 27, 2008, 6:00 am

Programs: too many
Why not sell the seats...

I never really understood why LH does those free op-ups in the first place. Neither why do they leave any premium seat unused. Why not reverse-auction upgrades, for cash or points. I would be happy to use my miles if the rate goes down to a reasonable level, and the cost to LH is very limited...

And to be honest, the occasional freebie does not outweigh the disappointment when you are not chosen, particularly if you feel more entitled than the lucky ones - or why is this thread already that long
Old Jul 27, 2008, 6:07 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
If there is a transparent regular way to bypass buying expensive (ie profitable for LH) C/F tix, then LH will loose revenue. Plain and simple.
Old Jul 27, 2008, 7:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP LT GLD 1MM, BA GLD, NH/UA*G, Hyatt Dia, Marr Tit LT PLT, IHG Spire,HH Dia, MGM NOIR,Hertz PC
If there is a transparent regular way to bypass buying expensive (ie profitable for LH) C/F tix, then LH will loose revenue. Plain and simple.
You mean as transparent as UA ?

Book 440$ ticket to HKG and pay 630$ each way to buy-up into the (always empty) C Class - 1700$

Book LAX-HKG-LAX in UA C - 8900$

Sitting next to someone who really paid that - Priceless
Old Jul 27, 2008, 10:45 am

Programs: Aeroplan Former E
Originally Posted by Hardy
I never really understood why LH does those free op-ups in the first place. Neither why do they leave any premium seat unused. Why not reverse-auction upgrades, for cash or points. I would be happy to use my miles if the rate goes down to a reasonable level, and the cost to LH is very limited...
Because you are essentially setting the "going price" for F/C at a much lower level than what the published rates are (even after corporate discounts, etc...) and what you hope to get in the long run. All of the US carriers offer much more generous upgrades to premium cabins than most major European or Asian carriers, and they have a hellish time trying to actually "sell" their premium cabins.

You also encourage executives to cost cut since if your F cabin only brings in C revenue, why not cut this and that. Of course, by cutting this and that, you are now trying to sell F minus. And the downward cycle continues.
Old Jul 27, 2008, 12:40 pm

Programs: :enrolleyes:+, :drôleyes:
Originally Posted by skywalkerLAX
Book 440$ ticket to HKG and pay 630$ each way to buy-up into the (always empty) C Class - 1700$

It's not actually all that crazy an idea. I mean, let's not have another round of FT summer school (i.e. what you pay is flexibility, at the gate you no longer care about it etc)
Old Jul 27, 2008, 1:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP LT GLD 1MM, BA GLD, NH/UA*G, Hyatt Dia, Marr Tit LT PLT, IHG Spire,HH Dia, MGM NOIR,Hertz PC
Originally Posted by andre1970
It's not actually all that crazy an idea. I mean, let's not have another round of FT summer school (i.e. what you pay is flexibility, at the gate you no longer care about it etc)
OK book a "flexible" UA ticket in coach for a little premium and still save 5 grand
Old Jul 27, 2008, 4:44 pm

Programs: UA1K, LH GM, AA EXP->GM
OK book a "flexible" UA ticket in coach for a little premium and still save 5 grand
Still - andre1970's always right.

LAX-HKG, LAX-NRT, and HKG-SIN are the only routes in the entire UA system where this works ... most of the time.

However I have been in full LAX-NRTs and full HKG-SINs, so it's not a universal rule. And try to get any form of upgrade on the IAD-EZE and see your theory shattered in an ugly way.
Old Jul 27, 2008, 5:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
Originally Posted by neo16287
Based on my experience working for LH, my station has always followed the following procedure.

HON, SEN, *G, FTL, everybody else.
Three years ago I was an AC*S and got an opup at JNB back to FRA from a very low coach fare to business. I suspect most LH elites and *Gs were already booked into C or F, so they went down another tier before hitting the plebs.
Old Jul 27, 2008, 5:54 pm

Programs: LH Sen, PPS, FB Platinum, Enrich Silver, SPG Plat
You mean as transparent as UA ?

Sitting next to someone who really paid that - Priceless
That is one of the reasons, why LH operates more profitable than UA and is able to offer a decent premium product.......

Cheers, S

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.