FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - op ups - who's chosen first
View Single Post
Old Jul 29, 2008, 7:51 am
sentom

Originally Posted by Hardy
At least for the op-ups: Why not make a quick announcement like "anyone here interested in getting the upgrade at (xxx) points..." rather than giving it away to some (and infuriating others). I see no downside there.
if they need op ups i can tell you that they start asking people who have enough miles/vouchers at check in if they want to upgrade. happens to me all the time, i always decline with a smile.

in most cases i think they manage to get enough people who want to spend miles/vouchers, and its good that way. i for one are happy that they don't hand out upgrades for lower rates, of course people with not enough/many miles wont like it, but at least it protects the premium cabins. besides that, i never got sour when a family without status got upgraded to C in front of me even though i had status, i paid for Y so i travel Y, no problem. for the family it might be a once in life experience so let them have it. C to F upgrades they never really pass out free and when they have to i'm under the impression that they do follow status / booking class very strict.

nobody wants a system like UA has in place, handing out upgrades for a dime a dozen... you end up like me a few years ago when i was one of two paying pax in F in a full cabin (12 seats) on a SFO-SYD...