Community
Wiki Posts
Search

LH increases[/reduces] fuel surcharge

Search this Thread

Old Nov 16, 2021, 5:00 am

Programs: LH HON, AF Plat, BA Gold, SPG Plat, HHo Gold
Lufthansa (Group) International/Domestic Surcharges

Hello, is there an official publication of Lufthansa Group's fuel surcharges, names International/Domestic Surcharge.

I understand it's a booking class and flight segment based for "European" flights, and booking class and "direction" based for intercontinental flights.

But, is there anywhere a more detailed pricelist to be found?
Old Nov 16, 2021, 5:01 am
Suspended

Programs: UA Premier Gold
Surcharges are calculated dynamically (yield management).
Old Nov 16, 2021, 5:23 am

Originally Posted by warakorn
Surcharges are calculated dynamically (yield management).
I don't think so.
From what I see on different farequotes, they seem to be linked to the fare bucket/booking class (which in a way is a link to yield management, indeed). But the surcharge amount per sector (European)/per direction(Intercontinental) in a given booking class seems to be fixed.

I'm just wondering what those fixed amounts per booking class are.
Old Nov 16, 2021, 8:07 am
Suspended

That surcharge amount is not fixed.
It's amount depends on many, many factors (not just booking class).
Old Nov 16, 2021, 9:50 am

That surcharge amount is not fixed.
It's amount depends on many, many factors (not just booking class).
That's the question, indeed. Is there any evidence that they moved that way?

Back in 2019, it was fixed on a sector and booking class basis this way:
European sectors on continental itineraries
K EUR 5,00
L EUR 9,00
T EUR 13,00
S EUR 17,00
W EUR 21,00
V EUR 25,00
Q EUR 34,00
other Y cabin EUR 40,00
C cabin EUR 43,00

C is now EUR 45,00 (flat, no variation, not even on booking class PZDCJ, based on a sample of 20 booking/pricing requests, I didn't check the economy buckets).
It's more complicated for intercontinental flights, particularly, if some sectors aren't operated by LH group airlines ... So I was wondering whether there is anything published on this.
Old Nov 18, 2021, 1:51 am
Suspended

So I was wondering whether there is anything published on this.
There is nothing published, because these tables would be to huge/complicated. Moreover, why should Lufthansa reveal part of it's yield management algorithm?
Old Nov 22, 2021, 10:22 am

There is nothing published, because these tables would be to huge/complicated.
The table I gave you isn't complicated at all, it has been published and is - via the booking classes - linked to the yield management of the airline. It's just 2 years old and not current anymore.
Let me ask again, do you have any evidence that this system changed and that Lufthansa calculates the surcharges other than through a combination of city/region pair and booking class?

Moreover, why should Lufthansa reveal part of it's yield management algorithm?
Because, that's how airline yield management systems and GDS interact. At some point, a pricelist (admittedly huge) of fares is frozen by the airline for a few days (or hours) and the dynamics only come from opening up (and consuming) inventory per booking class, o&d, and flight. It's technically impossible for agency (i.e. GDS) distributed tickets to be priced fully dynamically (i.e. on a per booking basis) Some airlines can do this via their own direct booking engines, but then prices are out of sync between direct and indirect channels. Now all of this applies for the fare part of yield management. Surcharges are - in all the systems I have seen - even less granular.
Old Nov 22, 2021, 11:31 pm
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
As you can see from this thread, the surcharges used to be very simple and then became complex.
Old Nov 23, 2021, 2:13 am

I see ... but the last entry in this thread is from 2015
So the answer is, we don't know and we don't want to know how LH Group determines 30% of their fare revenue?

... Anyway, I tried.
FriendlyConfines likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.