LH abandons me in FRA

Search this Thread

Old Apr 2, 2006, 4:59 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA1K, LH GM, AA EXP->GM
upgrades to vain

Originally Posted by Rambuster
Money well spent !

I once bought a first class train ticket from LGW to St. Albans, only to find out there was no first class. I had to stand most of the way.....
Indeed a wise investment.
I got the money back from TG in the end - I could understand that someone
does this when they need the triple miles. But of course, miles are not awarded
according to fare paid but to cabin ticketed (excluding upgrades).
Still a mistery why they would do this.

Thanks for updating my LH numbers.
Old Apr 3, 2006, 2:48 am

Programs: LH SEN for Life
rebooking

What I really don't understand on this thread is the "ticket restrictions".

If a flight is canceled even on the cheapest non refundable, non changeable ticket, isn't the airline responsible to get you on another flight to where you paid to go???

Last time I either missed the flight or had a cancelation was in VIE. Went to SEN lounge and the booked me in the airport hotel and rebooked me the next morning. I don't remember the class I was flying and it was a few years ago when service was better.

Shofar
Old Apr 3, 2006, 3:26 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Shofar
If a flight is canceled even on the cheapest non refundable, non changeable ticket, isn't the airline responsible to get you on another flight to where you paid to go???
Exactly my thought, however if we have a weather related cancellation and they need a certain pecking order ( assuming consecutive flights will be overbooked ) they could need a fare base to determine who goes first, second and so on...
Old Apr 3, 2006, 4:40 am
Original Poster

Shofar and Threy
Exactly my thought, however if we have a weather related cancellation...
You are both right (and it was a flexible ticket) and there was availability on
two flights that day.
The reason they did not let me board is that the system (or a human operator)
somehow miraculously garbled my record. The machine would not print a standby
BP and it would not allow for re-routings.
Sure it could be the incompetent non-HON agents and it could have been a
minor flaw but one strong enough so that they could not help me. Also due to
the uber-mess in FRA, they all failed in getting hold of a supervisor.
Old Apr 3, 2006, 5:18 am
Suspended

It is pretty ridiculous to let someone stay grounded for several hours instead of simply issueing a new ticket and link it with the original one for internal reasons / accounting...
Old Apr 3, 2006, 5:37 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by weero
Thanks for the empathy Kiwi Flyer
The price difference between SQ and LH is striking: <5000 AUD for LH 220 stock
D ticket (which unfortunately gets downgraded to Z fares this month) all year
fare compared to ~7500 .. 9000 AUD for SQ D.
Wait. But how did you get from SYD to SIN/BKK? In D on SQ?
Old Apr 3, 2006, 5:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: LH, UA, BD, AA, NW, FB, NH, AC, Sixt, Hertz, Avis, *W, HH, Marriott, PC, Leaders Club, AMEX
I'm just glad that all bad things regarding air travel seem concentrate on Weero. If I had to believe that everybody (including me) had to endure his kind of "adventures" with UA and LH on a very regular basis, I would have stopped flying long ago.

Am I the only one thinking like that, or am I just the only one who dares speaking it out?
Old Apr 3, 2006, 6:48 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by flysurfer
..Am I the only one thinking like that, or am I just the only one who dares speaking it out?
Both of the above MoJo-Man!
I feared that sooner or later there someone (well, actually a very specific one)
would establish the link between my star sinking and the overall LH board mojo
going up. I am glad that the waiting is over .
And welcome back btw.

Actually UA never let me down in a similar fashion - luggage excluded. That
said, nor did LH.
Old Apr 3, 2006, 6:51 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by flyUAyounger
Wait. But how did you get from SYD to SIN/BKK? In D on SQ?
On LH of course ... being operated by TG and its unspeakable old C cabin.
I remember that once I wanted to travel with my friend and managed to get
her an identical routing as the mine. And her words of disbelieve aboard TG were
"are you sure they put us in Business?".
It did not feel like a wise investment of miles then - should have listened to
flysurfer from the start.
Old Apr 3, 2006, 6:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Shofar
What I really don't understand on this thread is the "ticket restrictions".

Last time I either missed the flight or had a cancelation was in VIE. Went to SEN lounge and the booked me in the airport hotel and rebooked me the next morning. I don't remember the class I was flying and it was a few years ago when service was better.

Shofar
Well the ticket restricitions rule is indeed a vague one, but on the March blizzard day when I was stuck in FRA they clearly explained them to me:
1) HON on any fare has priority
2) SEN has priority EXCEPT over FULL FARE
3) *G/FTL
I didn't ask other than this. In the end- on a D class ticket with SEN was "awarded" a seat in Y leaving 12 hours later than sked
Simply happy to get home. The difference between before HON and after HON is that I would have been in Business in the before HON days. It didn't matter so much as the flight was only FRA-VCE. Now- I did have one disagreement when Business was overbooked last year on the FRA-PEK flight and they wanted to bump us to Y as we had the cheapo Z class tickets- but after a discussion with the airport manager we were flown to PVG in F. 99% of the time FRA is OK- but when things go wrong...you can really be in trouble
Old Apr 3, 2006, 6:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: LH, UA, BD, AA, NW, FB, NH, AC, Sixt, Hertz, Avis, *W, HH, Marriott, PC, Leaders Club, AMEX
I am glad that the waiting is over .
And welcome back btw.
Thanks. You knew that I'd never let you down (unlike LH).
Old Apr 3, 2006, 7:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

should have listened to
flysurfer from the start.
Aww, that's so nice. I'll keep a printout of that.
Old Apr 3, 2006, 7:03 am

Programs: M&M/S SPG livetime gold, but not running behind status & points anymore! Now only book value for $
Originally Posted by Ventimiglia
Hi weero,

Now another hot topic appears:

Why does Lufthansa not loose their policy when it comes to rebooking on fares were rebooking is not allowed, even with being SEN?

I would say, because Lufthansa don't like to ruin their own profit.

HamburgAround I never heard that a profitable airline like AF/KL, BA, CX, LH or SQ waives fare rules because the ticket holder has elite membership status in their FFP. I have no idea, but I would be very surprised if Lufthansa waives fare rules for their HON Circle members of SQ for their PPS members.

Restricted fares are substantial cheaper than unrestricted fares. If you like to have the liberty to rebook whenever you like, than an unrestricted fare is the way to go. If you are unsure if you like to change, you can buy a changeable fare, more likely for a small fee, as long as the originally booked class is still available. Otherwise, you have to pay the difference. Do you think that anybody will buy unrestricted fares if it turns out that airlines rebook whenever requested? Like it or not, but you have the chance to know the relevant fare rule at least before you buy the ticket.
Well I think that`s right, we all play a game.
On one side the customers want the most cheap fares with the best flexibility, on the other side the airline want to maximize the provit. If the airline does not force their own rules, nobody is willing to pay more for a more flexible fare.
But sometimes a change for an earlier flight could also be good for the airline.
If an earlier flight is lowly booked and the passanger is booked on a later heavy or overbooked flight, why not taking him on that earlier one and have more space on the later one.
All the rules in this game should be fair.
If the airline claims, due to weather reasons they can rebook you to any other/later flight without paying you a compensation, it should be fair enough, if a passanger has the same right! If he delays due to bad weather ( however with any transportation ) the airline should also transport him without any fee on a later flight.
Old Apr 3, 2006, 8:10 am
Suspended

Programs: FB, UA, TG, SU
You can count me in.

Am I the only one thinking like that, or am I just the only one who dares speaking it out?
Old Apr 3, 2006, 8:16 am
Original Poster

Aww, that's so nice. I'll keep a printout of that.
And it is true - the girl did not appreciate travelling in the front at all.
She kept claiming that on the sacred NZ, all the things were ways better.
So from you I learnt that there is a universal rule to this game.
Originally Posted by bertheike
..If the airline claims, due to weather reasons they can rebook you to any other/later flight without paying you a compensation, it should be fair enough, if a passanger has the same right!..
That is a nice concept.
In my case, it could not possibly be weather though as KLM kept flying. I mean
if airlines can decide what constitutes bad weather, then all compensation rules
can be abolished.
The seocnd LH agent had the temerity to state that a cew not being available
would be beyond LH's control and hence not the airline's fault. Bad planning as
'force majeur' so to say. Even though I am tempted to admit that stupidity
indeed became a form of force majeur...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.