Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Getting dumped on LH flights

Search this Thread

Old Sep 28, 2004, 1:25 pm
PEM

Originally Posted by Andrius
Remember, airline is selling you a ticket for the seat they don't actually have in a hope that someone who also bought the seat does not show up. They sell the same seat twice and you want to talk to them about morality?
Just imagine...people buy tickets for seats and they do not use ... what would happen if the airline would stop selling some seats twice ... i fear tickets would be very expensive.
Do you think the airline sells seats twice because they want to?
I fear they do it cause they have to.

There are allways two sites of a story.

by PEM

Last edited by PEM; Sep 28, 2004 at 1:27 pm
Old Sep 28, 2004, 1:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, BA Silver, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by Passmethesickbag
Anybody know how much they offer for passengers to volunteer their seats on an intra-European flight? Just noticed availability on mine has gone down to zero more than a week ahead (operated by Augsburg Airways, if that makes a difference).
I've been offered 150 in vouchers or 75 cash for taking a bump on LH. The first time it meant flying into a different airport at LON so they paid for a car to take us home. The second time we were bumped onto an earlier BA flight (LH was sold out for the rest of the day and we got there early) but on both occasions I had to ask about this...
Old Mar 3, 2005, 9:00 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
LH Site updated

http://konzern.lufthansa.com/de/html...12/478/HOM&s=0

Sadly only the german version has been updated with the new EU DBC values
Old Mar 3, 2005, 10:34 am

Originally Posted by oliver2002
http://konzern.lufthansa.com/de/html...12/478/HOM&s=0

Sadly only the german version has been updated with the new EU DBC values
If they only updated it correctly. The text says, one is compensated with cash or a double-value-voucher. But the chart at the bottom says e.g. 125$ vs. 175$.
Old Mar 3, 2005, 11:02 pm

Originally Posted by monty81
If they only updated it correctly. The text says, one is compensated with cash or a double-value-voucher. But the chart at the bottom says e.g. 125$ vs. 175$.
ALWAYS read the fine print...lol
Old Mar 7, 2005, 7:33 am

Programs: AY Lumo, FB Gold
Took an overnight bump last Saturday night with Mrs. FlyingFinn. The last FRA-HEL flight of the night was overbooked and they ended up bumping 5 volunteers. All of us were given 500 EUR in travel vouchers (tradeable for 250 EUR cash), a seat on the first LH flight the following morning and a night at the quite nice Steigenberger Airport Hotel.

So they seem to be following the EU regulations. A great deal if you ask me.
Old Mar 7, 2005, 7:41 am

I've was offered 100 EUR to take the next flight from FRA-LHR recently. Would have needed to wait 1 hour for next flight. Unfortunately though I had my name down they didn't need to bump anyone... didn't even get an op up.

The new European rules mean that they won't think about bumping people without looking for volunteers first
Old Mar 7, 2005, 8:55 am
Moderator: GLBT travelers, India-based Airlines and India; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Yes!
DUS-LHR a couple of weeks ago.
Offered myself for VDB.Got rebooked on BA. (Fantastic service in BA Y, btw!)
Got a Euro 250 voucher (or could have chosen 125 in cash).
Old Mar 7, 2005, 9:08 am

Programs: BA,LH,CX,EK SPG,IC mainly and a few others
Originally Posted by AJLondon
DUS-LHR a couple of weeks ago.
Offered myself for VDB.Got rebooked on BA. (Fantastic service in BA Y, btw!)
Got a Euro 250 voucher (or could have chosen 125 in cash).
Got bumped off CPH-LHR last week by SK. Got rebooked on a BA flight 30 mins later and EUR 500 compensation vouchers.
Old Mar 7, 2005, 11:45 am

Originally Posted by LonLH
Got bumped off CPH-LHR last week by SK. Got rebooked on a BA flight 30 mins later and EUR 500 compensation vouchers.
Okay you win!
Was that a VDB or an IDB, LonLH? And did they offer the 500 themselves or was there some interesting bargaining involved?

Even after reading the new EU rules I'm not sure what the minimum airlines need to pay out in such a case is...
Old Mar 7, 2005, 12:33 pm

...Raise the statutory compensation for denied boarding to Euro 250 (173), for short haul flights of less than 1,500 kms, Euro 400 (277) for flights between 1500 and 3500km and Euro 600 (415) for long haul flights of 3,500 km or more.
Extend the new denied boarding rights i.e. the right to choose between an alternative flight or a full ticket reimbursement on top of financial compensation to passengers whose flights are cancelled.

For the first time, give travellers who suffer delays a statutory right to reimbursement. After two hours for short haul flights under 1,500 km, after three hours for intra-Community flights and flights under 3,500km. After 4 hours for longer flights.

Give passengers a statutory right to refreshments, meals and hotels where appropriate, for denied boarding, cancellations and delays.

It's worth noting that these payment are cash, not vouchers for travel.
Old Mar 7, 2005, 1:30 pm

Thanks allanhuk.
Does the above apply for both IDB and VDB then?

And do you have the original official link which contains this info...
Old Mar 7, 2005, 2:05 pm

A good general starting point for what's what can be found here:

http://www.caa.co.uk/default.aspx?ca...68&groupid=355

Specifically Denied boarding is here:

http://www.caa.co.uk/default.aspx?ca...90&pageid=4426

On the same point does anyone know if it's possible to register with LH such that they offer you VDB? I've only been offered VDB twice in 3 years of 50K+ year european commuting. I'm wondering if my etix from the machine and straight to the sen lounge means that I miss out?
Old Mar 7, 2005, 4:16 pm

Programs: LH SEN, HH Gold
Originally Posted by allanhuk
On the same point does anyone know if it's possible to register with LH such that they offer you VDB? I'm wondering if my etix from the machine and straight to the sen lounge means that I miss out?
No way to permanently register; that would be TOO sweet. And yes, just quick-checking-in and disappearing to the lounge till boarding time (and not even mentioning in the lounge) will virtually guarantee that you're not the 1-in-1,000 or so that gets bumped.

You basically have to ask a human being "Is the flight full?" "Do you need volunteers to step back?" and the agent has to care enough to document your volunteer status--which they usually don't, because their prediction models are rather good.

Last edited by Grog; Mar 8, 2005 at 1:34 am
Old Mar 8, 2005, 4:05 am

Programs: BA,LH,CX,EK SPG,IC mainly and a few others
Originally Posted by AJLondon
Okay you win!
Was that a VDB or an IDB, LonLH? And did they offer the 500 themselves or was there some interesting bargaining involved?

Even after reading the new EU rules I'm not sure what the minimum airlines need to pay out in such a case is...
It was a VDB- they asked me if I can volunteer at the time of checking in (since I only had a hand baggage and was just flying CPH-LHR)- I even got a DKK 100 voucher which I could use anywhere in the duty free area for food, duty free shopping etc in addition to compensation of EUR 500. Since I had no time to eat (BA flight leaving in 30 mins), I used it as part payment for a bottle of perfume for Mrs. LonLH All without asking. And I managed to get tier points with BA which has made me a OSL based BA gold now

Last edited by LonLH; Mar 8, 2005 at 4:08 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.