Community
Wiki Posts
Search

LOT Polish Denied Boarding in PEK

Search this Thread

Old Jun 22, 2023, 9:38 am

Cindy666 , thanks for posting. It boggles the mind that the Beijing LO office would be going so rogue... Congrats on getting to a happy result!
Old Jun 22, 2023, 2:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I'm curious about one thing, do they target Chinese-sounding names? If you're booked using Aeroplan and your name is John Smith, are you good to fly?

I don't know why they just don't block non-M&M redemptions. I suppose to do that, they would need to know how... .
Old Jun 22, 2023, 2:20 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by hugolover
I'm curious about one thing, do they target Chinese-sounding names? If you're booked using Aeroplan and your name is John Smith, are you good to fly?

I don't know why they just don't block non-M&M redemptions. I suppose to do that, they would need to know how... .
-Nationality shouldn't matter
-If you did scam your ticket, it's on them to prove it (i.e. demonstrate that the Chinese student is not your friend)
Old Jun 22, 2023, 3:44 pm

Originally Posted by blue2002
Cindy666 , thanks for posting. It boggles the mind that the Beijing LO office would be going so rogue... Congrats on getting to a happy result!
Thanks blue2002.

Last edited by Cindy666; Jun 22, 2023 at 9:02 pm Reason: Remove duplicate posting
Old Jun 22, 2023, 5:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by moondog
-Nationality shouldn't matter
-If you did scam your ticket, it's on them to prove it (i.e. demonstrate that the Chinese student is not your friend)
Obviously. I am wondering if the Chinese office is targeting Chinese.
Old Jun 22, 2023, 5:43 pm

Obviously. I am wondering if the Chinese office is targeting Chinese.
They can target whoever they want, but without clear PROOF, their claims have no legal standing.
Old Jun 22, 2023, 8:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

They can't target who they want in the EU. That's probably illegal, unless under Chinese law its possible? Is discrimination by race/nationality/creed/gender/sexual preference illegal there? I'm not an expert on that!
Old Jun 22, 2023, 10:14 pm

They can't target who they want in the EU. That's probably illegal, unless under Chinese law its possible? Is discrimination by race/nationality/creed/gender/sexual preference illegal there? I'm not an expert on that!
What I mean is they can claim that they think you bought miles, but there is a big gulf between thinking and proviing.
Old Jun 23, 2023, 3:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite
Is discrimination by race/nationality/creed/gender/sexual preference illegal there? !
From what can be understood in the medias etc, apparently it is not. It is encouraged !
Old Jun 23, 2023, 6:06 am

Originally Posted by SK AAR
From what can be understood in the medias etc, apparently it is not. It is encouraged !
Unlike some other Asian countries, I rarely observe overt racism here in China. I've never been to Poland yet so can't comment on that.
Old Jun 23, 2023, 8:04 am

I‘m not aware of any country in East or Southeast Asia without strong racism. Racial profiling is as much common practice as social profiling.
Old Jul 16, 2023, 9:31 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Cindy666
Thanks ny110010001 for starting this discussion. I was recently in the same situation with LOT Polish Airline, and this post has been very helpful to me. Want to share my experience here, in case it can be helpful to others.

Result first, the ticket was honored. However it took tremendous amount of effort, which I believe is pretty unfair for someone who holds a confirmed ticket and expect a hassle free flight.

Here is the story. I booked a reward business class ticket through Aeroplan for a family member, route PEK - WAW - JFK. Three weeks ahead of departure, I received an email from LOT Polish Airline Beijing Office, claiming the booking was invalid and the passenger would be denied boarding. I contact LOT Customer service to explain this situation and to confirm the status, and as expected they replied booking was confirmed. It does seem that the Main Office has no idea of Beijing Office's action.

Then I emailed Beijing Office for a reason, instead of giving an answer, they started to question how I get my ticket and where my reward mileage is from. So I explained (my own credit card points transfer, Aero plan reward booking, etc), and insisted on them to provide a reason. Guess what, no response. Luckily, the family member that I booked ticket for lives in Beijing, so she personally went to the airport polish airline counter and get a contact number. On the phone, they claimed the way of booking this ticket is "illegal", even though the main office confirms status if valid, they don't take the channel as legit, which makes absolutely no sense to me.

It did not seem going anywhere with the bilateral communication with LOT PA Main office and Beijing office separately. So I pulled together a long email in both languages( English and Chinese ), recap the whole situation and attached all the points transfer and reward booking confirmations, send to both main office and Beijing office to ask them to resolve the inconsistency internally, and let them know that I will file complaint and take legal action if boarding was denied with a confirmed booking. Later on followed up with Beijing office with a phone call, finally they agreed they will sort it out. Next day, no question asked for boarding. It was a pretty exhausting process.
Hi Cindy666. Forgive me for not seeing your post until now. I'm happy that you were able to have the tickets honored. If I recall correctly, LOT Polish resumed their PEK to WAW flight not long before I was scheduled to fly the route. Perhaps after many people pushed back since, they started to relax their stance a little bit. If the PEK local crew are still doing this, let this thread be a forewarning and data point for future travelers.

LOT Polish still have not responded to my complaint. While I continue to have great respect for the airline, they should understand that this is not going away without a proper response from them.

Luckily a high profile travel blog picked up the story and let's see where this goes. For those that has a vested interest from reading this thread, here's the link to the blog: https://onemileatatime.com/news/lot-...-fraud-fiasco/
aquanine likes this.
Old Jul 16, 2023, 9:33 am
Original Poster

FYI, my first name is not Chinese but I'm just one data point.
Old Jul 16, 2023, 9:50 am

So firstly, not sure why someone said otherwise, there is racism in China. Obviously. Don't know what onr defined as "overt" but it is blatantly obvious to me. Black and white people get treated very differently.
China doesn't really have a legal system for consumers so I am not sure why posters who presumably know something about China or say they live there suggest that (or more to the point the legal system is for the government to impose its control over the people).
In China there is not much recourse when companies or people don't listen to you. Police don't care. But making a fuss and having it go viral definitely works (similar to the US, or presumably most places in the world).

There seems to be no consequences and only upside for the Beijing office unilaterally voiding tickets. So why would they do any differently?
IndyHoosier and gudugan like this.
Old Jul 16, 2023, 10:19 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Lufthansa: Senator || IHG: Diamond Royal Ambassador Inner Circle || Plutonium Status
Who knows the answer may say so please !

but OP has already brought in the cavalry with OMAAT
https://onemileatatime.com/news/lot-...-fraud-fiasco/

and a background as why scams and unsavoury practices are getting flagged as fraud
https://onemileatatime.com/insights/...-miles-points/

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.