Community
Wiki Posts
Search

LOT Polish Denied Boarding in PEK

Search this Thread

Old Apr 9, 2023, 4:58 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Siu
Hi! I'm in the exact same situation. I booked a ticket for PEK - WAW - JFK with Lifemiles for my mom departing tomorrow, but received an email yesterday from a LOT representative in their Beijing office saying she would be denied boarding. Did you email Lifemiles or just give them a call? I tried to explain the entire thing to the agent in Lifemiles but they didn't understand why this could happen, and LOT side said they would only talk to Avianca, not me. Already had a plan B but feeling so frastruated trying to reach both sides and get an answer.
Hi Siu. Sorry to hear, seems like we and a group of people are in similar situations. I didn't use Lifemiles, but Aeroplan. I called Aeroplan and they were very understanding. Maybe it's the language barrier for Avianca that doesn't happen with Aeroplan (assuming your primary language is English and not Spanish)? What do you plan to do next?
Old Apr 9, 2023, 5:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
The more complaints that the U.S. DOT gets against LOT about what is going on with these award tickets ex-PEK, the more likely that LOT will be forced -- at the risk of being heavily fined -- to do something about it.
Old Apr 9, 2023, 11:02 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by zkzkz
I don't even know what "marked as fraud" could mean. If Aeroplan thought it was fraud they would have canceled the ticket. I don't think there's any "mark" they could put on a reservation or ticket that another airline would see.

I think what happened is the LOT agents didn't understand how to validate the ticket. I had a problem once on Turkish on a UA issued award ticket where the checkin agent just couldn't figure out what to do. He had to call over a supervisor who was able to fix it in a few keystrokes and then he checked me in no problem. I've also had UA be unable to check me in on an AC issued (revenue) ticket because something was disconnected between the ticket and the reservation. Luckily I was at an airport with AC staff but they had to call their help desk to revalidate the ticket.

Something similar was wrong with your reservation -- probably something more like the Turkish case where they should have been able to fix it but they just didn't know how so they made up some story to explain the problem.
Hi zkzkz, based on my dealing with the local crew and LOT Polish representative in Poland, it points to the local crew going rogue. Air Canada and LOT Polish did not see any issues with my ticket (ticket number already issued, and my story seems to collaborate with others having the same ordeal). The local crew just would not listen to reason. The way they put it is that they would not accept anything I say, period. No need to make logical arguments; no reasoning of any kind accepted. They are not letting people who redeemed miles board and that's it. Deal with it. Can't get home? Too bad. Buy a cash ticket and they will let you board. They are in full control and there is nothing you can do.
Old Apr 9, 2023, 11:51 pm

Originally Posted by ny110010001
Haha moondog, while I understand your reaction, you need to be there to fully understand and appreciate what I (and others in similar situations) was going through. How would you feel if you are not at fault and have to pay thousands of USD to find an alternative flight home? I wouldn't wish that on you.

I share my story for two reasons: (1) to get feedback on what others had experienced and how they resolved it; and (2) provide a warning on redeeming LOT Polish flights departing from PEK.
your sharing is very helpful and very much appreciated!
I almost booked LOT redemption via Aeroplan for the route of PEK-WAW-JFK. Due to some other reasons, I end up not booking this ticket.
I felt very lucky and I am very sorry for all of these ordeal experience caused by the local LOT crew.
Old Apr 10, 2023, 1:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite
Whilst I understand your frustration and surprise at PEK airport when being denied boarding, I also understand the suspicion and necessary decisions taken by the local PEK staff given the widespread fraud with award tickets in China as reported by another poster. Assuming that this outstation has experienced several times that pax on award ticket would not be remunerated by the issuer of the ticket due to fraud, you really can't blame the staff from taking precautions when/if they suspect fraud/that the tickets are not valid. Despite your reference to Star Alliance policty etc, let's keep in mind that there is no obligation to let pax travel if there are grounds for suspecting fraud.
Just my cents...
HadesNL and nancypants like this.
Old Apr 10, 2023, 5:07 am
TPJ

Programs: TK*G (E+), IHG Plat Ambassador
Originally Posted by SK AAR
given the widespread fraud with award tickets in China as reported by another poster.
Wouldn't it be better if LO just closes I-class on all flights to/from PEK (or restricts availability to M&M where they have full control over who is redeeming and if this is fraud or not) and cancels all Aeroplan am LM bookings in advance, so that folks are not surprised at the airport?
Old Apr 10, 2023, 11:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: LH HON***,UA,BA.EK Gold,AV.
Whilst I understand your frustration and surprise at PEK airport when being denied boarding, I also understand the suspicion and necessary decisions taken by the local PEK staff given the widespread fraud with award tickets in China as reported by another poster. Assuming that this outstation has experienced several times that pax on award ticket would not be remunerated by the issuer of the ticket due to fraud, you really can't blame the staff from taking precautions when/if they suspect fraud/that the tickets are not valid. Despite your reference to Star Alliance policty etc, let's keep in mind that there is no obligation to let pax travel if there are grounds for suspecting fraud.
Just my cents...
What an unsympathetic post !

The OP had a valid ticket confirmed by Aeroplan & the LOT callcentre, i have Zero sympathy for the LO team in PEK & i hope LO get to pay big time for denying the pax boarding

LO need to take anti fraud measures BEFORE it impacts innocent pax
Old Apr 10, 2023, 2:57 pm

Programs: SAS EBS / *A Silver, Hilton Diamond, Radisson VIP, IHG Platinum Ambassador
Despite your reference to Star Alliance policty etc, let's keep in mind that there is no obligation to let pax travel if there are grounds for suspecting fraud.
There very much is an obligation to let passengers with a valid ticket travel. Not doing so is a ground for compensation based on the EU law (sadly, that doesn't apply to pax connecting to a third country).

"Suspected" fraud is, legally, the airline's problem and it's up to them to deal with it. Their obligations towards passengers are not affected or changed in any way, unless it's an actual fraud.
Old Apr 10, 2023, 4:02 pm
Original Poster

Just my cents...
Hi SK AAR. While you are not wrong on airlines (and any businesses for that matter) need to combat fraud, there is a more professional way of addressing situations. The way the local crew has done would likely result in lawsuits claiming monetary damages and penalties. Maybe you forgot the fact that (me and others in this post said) LOT Polish in Poland validated the ticket; the airline said there is no issue. That's why some people think the crew is going rouge. Furthermore, the local crew claimed that they are not allowing anyone who booked award redemptions to board (the person I spoke to said two before me was denied boarding and I overheard another one while I was on the phone). Assuming what they told me is the truth (take what they "claim" with a grain of salt), are they assuming everyone making a non-cash booking to be fraudsters? Does their logic make sense? Not really asking you, just food for thought.
Old Apr 10, 2023, 4:09 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by vennichael
your sharing is very helpful and very much appreciated!
I almost booked LOT redemption via Aeroplan for the route of PEK-WAW-JFK. Due to some other reasons, I end up not booking this ticket.
I felt very lucky and I am very sorry for all of these ordeal experience caused by the local LOT crew.
Hi vennichael. Thanks so much for sharing. I'm glad that my story here was helpful to others who were / will be considering booking award tickets out of PEK on LOT Polish. I'll be happy if sharing my experience can prevent someone else having the same ordeal. This experience is something I wish others could avoid.
Old Apr 11, 2023, 12:07 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by ny110010001
Hi vennichael. Thanks so much for sharing. I'm glad that my story here was helpful to others who were / will be considering booking award tickets out of PEK on LOT Polish. I'll be happy if sharing my experience can prevent someone else having the same ordeal. This experience is something I wish others could avoid.
Please confirm that you contacted the airline before taking legal action.
Old Apr 11, 2023, 8:50 am

Thumbs down

Whilst I understand your frustration and surprise at PEK airport when being denied boarding, I also understand the suspicion and necessary decisions taken by the local PEK staff given the widespread fraud with award tickets in China as reported by another poster. Assuming that this outstation has experienced several times that pax on award ticket would not be remunerated by the issuer of the ticket due to fraud, you really can't blame the staff from taking precautions when/if they suspect fraud/that the tickets are not valid.
You are kidding, right? If the airline can't handle award flights from China, it should not allow them to be booked.

Despite your reference to Star Alliance policty etc, let's keep in mind that there is no obligation to let pax travel if there are grounds for suspecting fraud.
Just my cents...
What were the grounds, other than it being an award ticket?
Old Apr 11, 2023, 11:30 am

Programs: ba silver
If it's practical OP should consider suing AP and Lot jointly and severally in a Canadian scc. AP ( or Air Canada ) took payment in the form of miles plus some cash. This creates an obligation on the issuing party, regardless of who actually performs the service.

My experience is that years ago I sued a Canadian tour operator for a problem with a hotel in another country. Even though their contract said they are not liable we won our case as we paid the tour operator for the trip.

Canadian courts are very consumer friendly and you might be able to get a virtual hearing.
chris63, the810, aquanine and 2 others like this.
Old Apr 11, 2023, 12:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite
Originally Posted by blue2002
What were the grounds, other than it being an award ticket?
idk. We don't t have the details of this matter (other than the words of the OP) but surely something seems to have convinced the PEK staff that fraud was involved when travel was rejected. I doubt the PEK staff would make such decision without at least some indication supporting their suspicion but idk what exactly it was and the OP may not even know it either.
Old Apr 11, 2023, 1:41 pm

idk. We don't t have the details of this matter (other than the words of the OP) but surely something seems to have convinced the PEK staff that fraud was involved when travel was rejected. I doubt the PEK staff would make such decision without at least some indication supporting their suspicion but idk what exactly it was and the OP may not even know it either.
If we are to trust the OP: Neither AC/AP nor LO HQ had any fraud concerns regarding this booking. Everything indicates the decision was taken by either LO or servicing company agent at PEK based on local sensitivities / perception of widespread fraud. Pray tell, unless this reservation is actually flagged by the back office as fraudulent, what tools would the local airport agent have to - as you say - "convince" themselves the booking was fraudulent? None, I would suggest, as it is NOT their job to perform.

My bets, in order of probability:
1) Overzealous / rogue action by the airport agent, based on prejudice, not facts.
2) Perhaps a full flight in J and the agent wanting to "upgrade" a buddy of theirs.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.