FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, Brussels, LOT and Other Partners | Miles & More (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/lufthansa-austrian-swiss-brussels-lot-other-partners-miles-more-495/)
-   -   Wage negotiations for LH Ground &MRO staff: Verdi strike on July 27 2022 (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/lufthansa-austrian-swiss-brussels-lot-other-partners-miles-more/2084263-wage-negotiations-lh-ground-mro-staff-verdi-strike-july-27-2022-a.html)

oliver2002 Jul 26, 2022 2:04 am

Seems to be done:

Strike call by the union Verdi for Lufthansa ground staff on 27 July

The union Verdi has called on Lufthansa ground staff throughout Germany to take part in a one-day warning strike. For this reason, there will be major restrictions in the Lufthansa flight schedule on Wednesday, 27 July.

On Tuesday, 26 July, Lufthansa will publish the cancellations in the system and try to find a solution for affected passengers. If you have left your mobile contact in your booking, Lufthansa will contact them in case of cancellation and rebooking.

In the current peak travel season, it may take longer to find an adequate rebooking solution. If you do not receive a message from Lufthansa, please check the current status of your booking. Here you can also adjust the rebooking again if you wish. Please also constantly check the status of your flight on lufthansa.com.

Your flight is cancelled and you have received an alternative from Lufthansa?

If you have received information about a rebooking, we strongly recommend using this alternative. Please only contact a Service Center in emergencies if it is not possible for you to travel with the booked alternative flights.

Your flight is cancelled and you have not received an alternative from Lufthansa?

In this situation, Lufthansa recommends inquiring about an alternative via the self-service booking page My Bookings. Please only contact a Call Center if you cannot find an alternative via this option either. Lufthansa advises against travelling to the airport in this situation, as only a few or no service counters are open at the airports due to the strike and you will probably not be offered an immediate alternative there either.

If your international flight to Germany is operating but your international onward flight from Frankfurt or Munich is cancelled, Lufthansa recommends a rebooking for another day. Should you still take your flight to Frankfurt or Munich without a confirmed alternative for the onward flight, there is a risk that you will not be able to continue your journey there for several hours or days. In such a case, please also consider visa regulations for entry into Germany. If you are able to arrange your own onward travel (e.g. rental car, bus, train), please keep all receipts for subsequent reimbursement of costs. The same applies to any hotel accommodation.

In the event of a cancellation of a domestic Lufthansa flight, you can convert your ticket into a Deutsche Bahn ticket free of charge. It is highly recommended to reserve a seat during the peak travel season if you are using an ICE or IC train for your journey. If you have a connecting flight from Frankfurt or Munich that is cancelled, please refrain from travelling by Deutsche Bahn.

poshul Jul 26, 2022 2:20 am

I'm seeing tons of cancellations out of FRA but MUC seems untouched? Or are they going airport by airport?

gusd Jul 26, 2022 2:21 am

Are UA flights still handled by LH ground staff at FRA and MUC? If yes, I presume UA flights would also be affected by the strike, then?

oliver2002 Jul 26, 2022 2:37 am

https://www.verdi.de/themen/nachrich...5-001a4a16012a

Verdi says they are negotiating for Lufthansa AG Boden, Lufthansa Technik, Lufthansa Systems, Lufthansa Technik Logistik Services (LTLS), Lufthansa Cargo, Lufthansa Service Gesellschaft (LSG) & LEOS (Lufthansa Engineering and Operational Services GmbH)

In MUC the handling of 'under the wing' (baggage, pushback etc) is done by FMG Airport staff. The 'over the wing' handling (gate, checkin etc) by LH Ground services. Curious if operations control is also in the LH ground unit.

mustafina Jul 26, 2022 4:00 am

Originally Posted by poshul (Post 34458730)
I'm seeing tons of cancellations out of FRA but MUC seems untouched? Or are they going airport by airport?

MUC is definitely affected: https://sz.de/1.5627900

ckx2 Jul 26, 2022 4:13 am

Originally Posted by cfischer (Post 34457801)
I never had any sympathy for VERDI, but this is getting ridiculous. In the midst of a huge chaos and ongoing negotiations they are hitting ... the passengers. And they are wondering why approval ratings for unions is falling every year.

It is pretty much the right way to apply pressue on corps like Lufthansa and their low-wage, no benefits cutting game.

Non surprisingly my flight is affected, but HON hotline was quicker than any IT/bots.

poshul Jul 26, 2022 4:22 am

https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...4d6152d5db.png
They are definitely still cancelling more things, just got the text. The bot is.... less than helpful.

chris63 Jul 26, 2022 4:44 am

Originally Posted by poshul (Post 34458924)
https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...4d6152d5db.png
They are definitely still cancelling more things, just got the text. The bot is.... less than helpful.

Maybe the bot has sympathy for those poor underpaid Staff ;)

poshul Jul 26, 2022 4:53 am

Originally Posted by ckx2 (Post 34458906)
It is pretty much the right way to apply pressue on corps like Lufthansa and their low-wage, no benefits cutting game.

Non surprisingly my flight is affected, but HON hotline was quicker than any IT/bots.

Any suggestions for those of us mere mortals? I'd a STR->IAD G tomorrow. The earliest thing I can find availability for is ZWS->IAD in J on Thursday, which I snagged as a refundable ticket as a backup. Can I get Lufthansa to just stick me on that without paying the full J fare?

chris63 Jul 26, 2022 5:02 am

Originally Posted by poshul (Post 34458964)
Any suggestions for those of us mere mortals? I'd a STR->IAD G tomorrow. The earliest thing I can find availability for is ZWS->IAD in J on Thursday, which I snagged as a refundable ticket as a backup. Can I get Lufthansa to just stick me on that without paying the full J fare?

LH won’t pay to upgrade anyone, they will just find you the next available in your original class once you can reach them or the bot finds an alternative

alexdennzin Jul 26, 2022 5:06 am

Originally Posted by chris63 (Post 34458985)
LH won’t pay to upgrade anyone, they will just find you the next available in your original class once you can reach them or the bot finds an alternative

yes no chance for upgrades. Last strike with LH I booked PE and they only switched me to economy on other airlines and not premium economy even if the other airline had it. Sucks big time.

pdeut Jul 26, 2022 5:10 am

I noticed that many of the MUC flights cancelled an hour ago are now not showing as cx anymore in the app/lh.com. I assume this is an effort to reduce the pace of calls?

oliver2002 Jul 26, 2022 5:13 am

Lufthansa PR: 'Lufthansa will have to call off almost the entire flight program at its hubs in Frankfurt and Munich for Wednesday'

Massive impact of ver.di strike: almost all Lufthansa flights to and from Frankfurt and Munich canceled for Wednesday

The warning strike announced by trade union ver.di is having a massive operational impact in the middle of the peak travel season. Lufthansa will have to call off almost the entire flight program at its hubs in Frankfurt and Munich for Wednesday. Looking ahead to the coming weekend, the start of the vacation season in Bavaria and Baden-Württemberg, Lufthansa is working flat out to return flight operations to normal as quickly as possible. Nevertheless, the effects of the strike may still lead to individual flight cancellations or delays on Thursday and Friday.

In Frankfurt, a total of 678 flights will have to be canceled, including 32 already today (Tuesday) and 646 on Wednesday. This is expected to affect 92,000 passengers.

At the Munich hub, a total of 345 flights will have to be canceled, 15 of them already today (Tuesday) and 330 on Wednesday. It is expected that 42,000 passengers will be affected.

Passengers affected by cancellations will be informed immediately today and rebooked on alternative flights if possible. However, the capacities available for this are very limited.

Michael Niggemann, Chief Human Resources Officer and Labor Director of Deutsche Lufthansa AG, says: "The early escalation of a previously constructive collective bargaining round is causing enormous damage. It affects our passengers in particular, who are impacted during the peak travel season. And it is putting an additional heavy strain on our employees in an already difficult phase for air traffic. In view of our high offer with very substantial pay increases over the next 12 months of more than 10 percent more in the pay groups up to 3,000 euros monthly basic pay and a 6 percent increase for a monthly basic pay of 6,500 euros, this so-called warning strike is in the middle of the peak summer travel season is simply no longer proportionate."

Among other things, the Group has presented a package with the following components. Starting 1 July 2022, with a term of 18 months, there is to be per employee:
  • An increase in basic pay of 150 euros per month as of 1 July 2022,
  • A further basic pay increase of 100 euros per month as of 1 January 2023,
  • Plus a two-percent increase in compensation as of 1 July 2023, provided the Group's earnings are positive (assumed in each case for the calculations),
  • Additional commitment: an increase in minimum wage to 13 euros per hour effective 1 October 2022.
Example increases in basic monthly compensation (gross) within the next 12 months according to the Lufthansa offer:
  • Basic remuneration/month: 2,000 EUR / Increase per month: 295 EUR (+14.8%)
  • Basic remuneration/month: 2,500 EUR / Increase per month: 305 EUR (+12.2%)
  • Basic remuneration/month: 3,000 EUR / Increase per month: 315 EUR (+10.5%)
  • Basic remuneration/month: 4,000 EUR / Increase per month: 335 EUR (+8.4%)
  • Basic remuneration/month: 5,000 EUR / Increase per month: 355 EUR (+ 7.1%)
  • Basic remuneration/month: 6,500 EUR / Increase per month: 385 EUR (+ 5.9%)

poshul Jul 26, 2022 5:22 am

Originally Posted by alexdennzin (Post 34458996)
yes no chance for upgrades. Last strike with LH I booked PE and they only switched me to economy on other airlines and not premium economy even if the other airline had it. Sucks big time.

Ah, maybe I'm thinking of Canadian law, where the airline has an obligation to get you to the destination as soon as possible, well, I figure I can ask them at least, and its refundable in any case. Ugg, between Air Canada being a cluster, SAS's strike and now this, its been a rough summer.

Sykes Jul 26, 2022 5:33 am

Just confirming: This strike is considered air carrier staff rather than staff external to the carrier for EU261 purposes, right? (This seems obvious, but it's not entirely implausible to me that there is some weird ownership structure that could shirk responsibility.)