Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, Brussels, LOT and Other Partners | Miles & More
Reload this Page >

Be aware: LH not following their own T&C rules for cancelled award tickets

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Be aware: LH not following their own T&C rules for cancelled award tickets

Search this Thread

Old Jan 25, 2022, 3:30 pm

Programs: LH HON*****, AF/KL Gold; HHilton Diamond; Marriott Gold; IHG Platinium; Avis PresClub
Originally Posted by mirror74
....according to Miles & More T&C, unused miles over 3 years old should expire on the last day of the current calendar quarter,... and NOT immediately.
To the OP: Could you share your version of the T&C with us. My version does not mention it.
Old Jan 26, 2022, 2:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite
Originally Posted by NorthOrSouth
I'm interested in this as I have to cancel an award booking shortly and the miles might expire as in this situation here. I've looked at the Miles and More T&Cs but I can't see anything which refers to the miles being able to be used to the end of the quarter if I cancel. If anyone has the sections to refer to I'd really appreciate the reference numbers in the T&Cs so I can use them if I need to.
I believe it has been reported a few times in this forum to an unpublished practice/benefit
Old Jan 26, 2022, 2:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: LH HON***,UA,BA.EK Gold,AV.
Originally Posted by callmedtop
Any other channels I can try? Calling is a waste of time, but any other suggestions? Hard to just give up on 182K points.
PM the OP & ask if they are prepared to share the feedback that confirmed reinstatement of miles, they must treat everyone fairly & equally
Old Apr 18, 2022, 12:44 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, Hyatt Diamond
My request was declined:

"We empathize with your disappointment but mileage expiry has always been an integral part of Miles & More. The accumulated award miles are yours to enjoy for 36 months from the date of the activities. After this period, any unused credits are automatically deleted from your account at the end of the relevant quarter. This information is available online 24/7 at www.miles-and-more.com > My account > Mileage account <."

"As explained in our previous e-mail, expired miles cannot be re-credited. This applies to all effected members without exception. Please note that these miles were supposed to expire in the quarter ending 31 December 2021."

This is despite me explaining that my award was canceled on 3 January and the miles should have expired at the end of the quarter, not on 4 January as they were. I have gone back and forth with them twice now and they will not budget. 182K miles gone. Insanity.
To close the loop, I gave up after getting rejected twice back in Feb/Mar 2022. I woke up this AM to this email:

"We value you very much as a participant and want you to be able to use your miles as you wish. Therefore we have reinstated the expired miles to your and your wifes account and extended the validity of the miles. They are now valid until the 30th of June 2022. Please note that this adjustment does not provide a separate notice of this mileage expiry."

Didn't see that coming. Miles are back in my account, though the dates for both of my upcoming trips over the next 12 months have zero F availability. Need to figure something out before June.

I can't imagine this is the reason why, but I did coincidently buy a paid J ticket on Swiss three days ago.
Old Apr 18, 2022, 1:12 pm

To close the loop, I gave up after getting rejected twice back in Feb/Mar 2022. I woke up this AM to this email:

"We value you very much as a participant and want you to be able to use your miles as you wish. Therefore we have reinstated the expired miles to your and your wifes account and extended the validity of the miles. They are now valid until the 30th of June 2022. Please note that this adjustment does not provide a separate notice of this mileage expiry."

Didn't see that coming. Miles are back in my account, though the dates for both of my upcoming trips over the next 12 months have zero F availability. Need to figure something out before June.

I can't imagine this is the reason why, but I did coincidently buy a paid J ticket on Swiss three days ago.
Amazing and congratulations! I'd keep checking for availability--I'd also call in because sometimes availability on the site and phone are not the same. If you can't find it by 6/30, make dummy reservations in C as late as possible in 2023 and keep tracking for F availability and if it opens up cancel/rebook AT THE SAME TIME via phone.

PS I am sure it has nothing to do with the paid J ticket.
Old Apr 18, 2022, 1:43 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by NYC1
Amazing and congratulations! I'd keep checking for availability--I'd also call in because sometimes availability on the site and phone are not the same. If you can't find it by 6/30, make dummy reservations in C as late as possible in 2023 and keep tracking for F availability and if it opens up cancel/rebook AT THE SAME TIME via phone.

PS I am sure it has nothing to do with the paid J ticket.
Thanks - agree with everything you said . It's funny, LH has gained zero additional goodwill from this because I have found that constantly trying to screw the customer however way they can (for years now). Whether its zero award availability, very draconian rules for changes during flight cancelations, or the general sense of "I'm doing you a favor" attitude from their agents, I really can't stand them. The last agent I spoke to gave me a long lecture about how first class award tickets are "free" because you don't pay for the miles. Right...

That said, I made sure to never say "I won't ever fly LH/LX again" because ultimately if their flight times and pricing are more convenient/better than competitors then that's what I'm going to do. But once I use these miles, I am very much done with M&M. I don't think they will miss me very much .
Old Apr 18, 2022, 2:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: LH HON***,UA,BA.EK Gold,AV.
Good & only the correct result.

Unfortunately LH has very few F seats or routes now & without SEN or HON LX who have more is unavailable, for F you need to be very flexible or last minute.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.