Miles&Points

Airlines and Mileage Programs

Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, Brussels, LOT and Other Partners | Miles & More

Be aware: LH not following their own T&C rules for cancelled award tickets

Be aware: LH not following their own T&C rules for cancelled award tickets

Old Jan 5, 22, 5:04 am
Original Poster

Programs: AY Plat, A3 Gold, UA Gold, Hyatt Globalist, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
Thumbs down Be aware: LH not following their own T&C rules for cancelled award tickets

On 5 January 2022 I cancelled my award ticket due to damn pandemic, and my 90000 miles were refunded to the account. But after just 2 minutes, they have disappeared from the account, and new transaction dating from 1 January 2022 appeared on my account stating "Unused award miles over 3 years old" in the amount of 90000 miles. I did not have more that 2400 miles on my account on 31 December 2021 and on 1 January 2022, so this transaction was not actually made on 1 January 2022, but just 2 minutes after my cancellation of award tickets. Yes, those miles are over 3 years old, but I was unable to use them due to the pandemic, and according to Miles & More T&C, unused miles over 3 years old should expire on the last day of the current calendar quarter, in my case this is 31 March 2022, and NOT immediately. So, be warned, LH is not only not extending award miles, but actively stealing them when they expire and you have no choice but to cancel your flights (or flights get cancelled by the airline) and even ignoring their own T&C (I confirmed this rules is still very much in the T&C on the phone while complaining to M&M team in Germany, but they are unable to reinstate miles).
Old Jan 5, 22, 5:13 am

Programs: TK Elite
So basically, you thought you could extend your miles that would normally expire 31 Dec, to 31 March 2022 by purchasing an award ticket before 31 Dec which you now have cancelled today?
And you are surprised that LH doesn't entertain such conduct/such an option to extend validity of miles?
Old Jan 5, 22, 5:18 am
Original Poster

I purchased my tickets in Spring 2021. I had every intention to fly. But it is impossible due to Covid19 restrictions. All the miles have been earned the hard way, by flying and staying in the hotels.

So, to answer your question: yes, I am surprised by the behaviour of Lufthansa here, as they are not extending the miles (as most other companies are), they are not waiving cancellation fees (I paid 50 EUR per person for cancellation only to have my miles stolen 2 minutes after the payment) despite pandemic and legitimate reasons one cannot fly (and even enter foreign country), and yes, they are not even following their own T&C rules - if they do not want to follow their own rule, they can easily change it. This is despicable behaviour, nothing less.
Old Jan 5, 22, 5:18 am

Programs: LH HON***,UA,BA.EK Gold,AV.
Couldnt you simply have rebooked your flight ?
Old Jan 5, 22, 5:20 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by chris63 View Post
Couldnt you simply have rebooked your flight ?
I certainly tried to, but miles literally disappeared from my account 2 minutes after previous ticket was cancelled and during by attempt to immediately book something else.
Old Jan 5, 22, 5:25 am

This is not what chris63 asked about. You have cancelled and wanted to make a new reservation. The question is why didn't you rebook (as opposed to cancelling the ticket) to new dates?
chris63 and WindowSeatFlyer like this.
Old Jan 5, 22, 5:34 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SK AAR View Post
This is not what chris63 asked about. You have cancelled and wanted to make a new reservation. The question is why didn't you rebook (as opposed to cancelling the ticket) to new dates?
Oooo, its then my mistake. There is no way to either cancel or rebook online. I wanted to cancel by phone and immediately rebook online. I saw miles return to my account, started new reservation, but miles disappeared in-between. But good to know that almighty LH is not to blame here, just puny little consumer is again at fault.
Old Jan 5, 22, 5:40 am

No you can't rebook online - you should have called M/M to get the ticket rebooked for new dates without cancelling the ticket. Move on!
WindowSeatFlyer and DUSMUCZRH like this.
Old Jan 5, 22, 5:46 am

Originally Posted by mirror74 View Post
Oooo, its then my mistake. There is no way to either cancel or rebook online. I wanted to cancel by phone and immediately rebook online. I saw miles return to my account, started new reservation, but miles disappeared in-between. But good to know that almighty LH is not to blame here, just puny little consumer is again at fault.
Sadly, Yes
Its the same 50 EUR fee to rebook & since you knew the miles were over 3 years old, quite a gamble to cancel, expensive lesson but rules are rules.
Old Jan 5, 22, 6:25 am

Location: between DM464 and DM463 on the NAPSA26 RNAV TRANS in EDDM
Programs: this and that
Didn't M&M have a rule in place if you cxed an award booked with miles after the expiration date, the miles would get re-credited and extended until the end of the current quarter?
more4less and mirror74 like this.
Old Jan 5, 22, 6:33 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by cas_de View Post
Didn't M&M have a rule in place if you cxed an award booked with miles after the expiration date, the miles would get re-credited and extended until the end of the current quarter?
This is still the case (I also confirmed this with M&M phone agent). They are just not following their own rule. Agent even suggested to write a complaint and that back office should reinstate the miles.
Old Jan 5, 22, 6:36 am
Original Poster

Thumbs down

Originally Posted by SK AAR View Post
No you can't rebook online - you should have called M/M to get the ticket rebooked for new dates without cancelling the ticket. Move on!
Well, I have little other choice. Those were last of my LH award miles anyway. Thanks for your kindness, always nice to have support of fellow Fflyers.
ppyszk and more4less like this.
Old Jan 5, 22, 6:40 am

This is still the case (I also confirmed this with M&M phone agent). They are just not following their own rule. Agent even suggested to write a complaint and that back office should reinstate the miles.
Well then, just write to them & ask for the miles to be reinstated
mirror74 likes this.
Old Jan 5, 22, 6:44 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by chris63 View Post
Well then, just write to them & ask for the miles to be reinstated
Have done that. We will see. Alas, its not in my hands anymore. But wanted to share my experience that other don't do the same mistake.
chris63 and more4less like this.
Old Jan 5, 22, 6:50 am

Have done that. We will see. Alas, its not in my hands anymore. But wanted to share my experience that other don't do the same mistake.
Good luck & let us know the outcome 🤞
uanj, ppyszk, more4less and 1 others like this.

Search this Thread