Wiki Posts
Search

Lufthansa Ticket Refund Timeline

Search this Thread

Old Jun 19, 2020, 7:53 am

Location: between DM464 and DM463 on the NAPSA26 RNAV TRANS in EDDM
Programs: this and that
Originally Posted by djjaguar64
So yesterday I received this email for one set of my tickets. I did not use the online form, I had called in April 23 for a refund.

Online Anforderung
"Ihr Erstattungsauftrag wurde bearbeitet. Hier haben Sie die Möglichkeit, den Erstattungsbeleg online anzufordern. Bitte klicken Sie dafür auf die oben stehende Dokumentennummer. "

So does this mean a refund has been processed to the original form of payment?

Now I am waiting for the ticket with the larger amount, F & J.
Yes, in my case it took 2-3 days until the amount was credited back. The transaction was dated on the same day as the "Erstattungsbeleg".
Old Jun 19, 2020, 10:58 am

Programs: HH D, MB G, IHG P, Nat'l EE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by cas_de
Yes, in my case it took 2-3 days until the amount was credited back. The transaction was dated on the same day as the "Erstattungsbeleg".
I didn't receive any communication from LH, but this is similar to my experience. On an award ticket, there was a 3 day delay between the miles going back to my account and the charge being refunded to my card, though the refund shows the same date my miles were returned.
Old Jun 22, 2020, 10:34 am

Programs: LH SEN
If you have been waiting a ridiculous amount of time you might want to call and check your refund request is still in the system.

Apparently mine had been archived without the refund being processed.

They've had to generate a "new" booking to then send it back to the refund department.

Face -> palm
Old Jun 22, 2020, 10:39 am

Programs: LH HON
My last open refund arrived today
Old Jun 22, 2020, 12:43 pm

Programs: M&M FTL, TK*EPL, A3*G, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by cas_de
I don't know how long this site has been up and running (or if it has been posted somewhere else in here), but you can now trigger the refund via the following link:

https://www.lufthansa.com/de/en/refund
I tried to use this form to remind Lufthansa to refund me the money I requested ~90 days ago, but I was unable to - there's an error and I find it pretty funny. It seems it's just the company policy not to refund.

Old Jun 23, 2020, 1:34 am

Location: between DM464 and DM463 on the NAPSA26 RNAV TRANS in EDDM
Programs: this and that
Originally Posted by pull_over
I tried to use this form to remind Lufthansa to refund me the money I requested ~90 days ago, but I was unable to - there's an error and I find it pretty funny. It seems it's just the company policy not to refund.

Well, some people report that refunds have started coming in (at a very slow rate) - including myself. So I am not sure whether trying to re-trigger a pending refund via this website will actually help speeding up the process.
Old Jun 23, 2020, 8:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: A3&O6 Gold,IC AMB & HH Diamond
Called LH about my second refund. Was on the phone for 1.5 hours. Then a Phillipines agent answered. She said will send a message to refund department again.
Old Jun 23, 2020, 9:01 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Don't wait.

EC 261/2004 requires that the refund be initiated within 7 days.

Presuming a cash ticket paid for with a credit card, just file a chargeback if the refund has not been initiated within 7 days of your request. Make certain that you provide copies of the e-ticket receipt, notice of cancellation, your request for a refund and any acknowledgement that a refund is due.

You gain nothing by waiting.
Old Jun 23, 2020, 9:20 am

Originally Posted by Often1
Don't wait.

EC 261/2004 requires that the refund be initiated within 7 days.

Presuming a cash ticket paid for with a credit card, just file a chargeback if the refund has not been initiated within 7 days of your request. Make certain that you provide copies of the e-ticket receipt, notice of cancellation, your request for a refund and any acknowledgement that a refund is due.

You gain nothing by waiting.
The issue is that a lot of people, myself included with some refunds, will only have notice of cancellation/refund verbally, not in writing.

My main worry with a chargeback with LH Group airlines are the rejections to chargebacks happening for bogus reasons -- there are a lot of posts about this in this forum, and it is the main reason I have not filed a chargeback against SN.
Old Jun 23, 2020, 11:51 am

I had a flight cancel in February, and got confirmation that a refund would be processed in late March. I'm still waiting, and get no information from Lufthansa when I email or call. I'm now trying a dispute / chargeback (which the Chase call center rep doesn't seem to understand) - but Chase tells me it's too late for that. Has anyone had experience of this? Am I stuck now, waiting for Lufthansa to refund my (expensive) ticket? Thanks!
Old Jun 23, 2020, 11:59 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by Dan1113
The issue is that a lot of people, myself included with some refunds, will only have notice of cancellation/refund verbally, not in writing.

My main worry with a chargeback with LH Group airlines are the rejections to chargebacks happening for bogus reasons -- there are a lot of posts about this in this forum, and it is the main reason I have not filed a chargeback against SN.
If you did not receive a written notice, there will certainly be something online indicating that the flight is cancelled or some adjustment to your e-icket.

As to the chargeback issue, I suspect that many are not properly documented, allowing LH to simply create its own facts. Don't let that happen. Be proactive. By doing everything in writing and supplying the backup, you put your card issuer in the position of not being able to deny the credit.

The bottom line is that for EU carriers, departures from the EU on non-EU carriers and for tickets to or from the US, either or both EU and US rules require a refund when a flight is cancelled, e.g. does not operate.
Old Jun 23, 2020, 3:53 pm

I have an email saying there was a cancellation, and then an email saying they have my refund "request". So in theory it should be ok, but who knows. I have another case in another forum where my chargeback was rejected by an airline because they said they will do it but within 180 days (even though they won't because they are bankrupt), and my card is responding, but they didn't side with me and just close it in my favour...
Old Jun 23, 2020, 4:31 pm

Programs: Former DL DM and UA 1k, now a J class free agent (UA Gold, AS MVP Gold)
Been waiting for over 7 weeks for a refund - still haven't gotten one. Today was the originally scheduled day of travel for me, and they aren't flying my route. I figure I've waited long enough for them to refund. I'm doing a chargeback for non-delivery of services.
Old Jun 23, 2020, 5:04 pm

Programs: SK Gold, ITA Executive, Sixt Diamond, Hertz PC, Avis PC, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by SEA-Flyer
Been waiting for over 7 weeks for a refund - still haven't gotten one. Today was the originally scheduled day of travel for me, and they aren't flying my route. I figure I've waited long enough for them to refund. I'm doing a chargeback for non-delivery of services.
I am coming to the end of week 6 now.

Earlier today on the phone I was told that refunds are now taking 2-3 months (advised 30 days initially).
Old Jun 24, 2020, 2:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Originally Posted by SEA-Flyer
You shouldn't have waited so long. It's a mistake I learned the hard way! It took well over a month before my credit card account got re-credited after i initiated a dispute. Then a further 45 days kicks in, a period in which Lufhansa can challenge the decision.

Still, a second cancelled ticket, one i didn't bother disputing, is closing in on its fourth month in the queue for refund. So the chargeback put me a little bit ahead, and hopefully inconvenienced the airline.

The card folk told me it's easier if you can dispute within your card's charging cycle: it's simpler for them to block payment rather than reverse it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.