Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Covid19: M&M Elite Status Extensions?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 8, 2020, 1:08 am

Programs: LH HON, AF Platinum
Originally Posted by San Gottardo
How would they be left behind by their peers? In normal times I’d get it, some passengers would be attracted to the airline with the more generous mileage program. But now? Even if airline XY offered to extend my status, would that make me fly them more? No, because that airline has grounded its planes and I am hardly allowed to go out and walk my dog.

By the time people and airlines start flying again M&M better has something to say to its customers because othwrwise indeed some (a few) customers may defect.

But until then, it doesn’t matter. There is no point to make a product more attractive when you can’t sell it and there is no demand for it.
Exactly this.
Old Apr 8, 2020, 1:35 am

Originally Posted by San Gottardo
How would they be left behind by their peers? In normal times I’d get it, some passengers would be attracted to the airline with the more generous mileage program. But now? Even if airline XY offered to extend my status, would that make me fly them more? No, because that airline has grounded its planes and I am hardly allowed to go out and walk my dog.

By the time people and airlines start flying again M&M better has something to say to its customers because othwrwise indeed some (a few) customers may defect.

But until then, it doesn’t matter. There is no point to make a product more attractive when you can’t sell it and there is no demand for it.
From a purely rational and logical point of view, you’re right.

However airline loyalty programmes are designed to encourage loyalty and other behaviours that don’t strictly adhere to that pattern of behaviour. I’m sure a lot of people here have taken unnecessary trips to get to a milestone in a frequent flier programme of some sort - that’s wholly irrational, but a lot of us will do that.

Customers will see United, Delta, Singapore Airlines, Air France, British Airways, Air Canada (and others), doing stuff for their customers, but Lufthansa is not. Despite not being able to travel there’s an impression being generated that Lufthansa don’t care about their frequent fliers, where as all of their competitors care more.

Especially when a lot of people are locked in their homes with far less to do than normal, they’re more likely to read about what others are doing so these things matter. Perception is reality and perception is not good.
CRJ likes this.
Old Apr 8, 2020, 1:38 am

Programs: LH HON, AF Platinum
I’m pretty sure I can speak for myself and other HONs on this forum in saying that none of the responses so far from other carriers have had any influence on my loyalty to LHG. I do, however, expect LHG to take some remedial measures once the dust is closer to settling. And failure to do (or failing to take sufficient steps) so would have an influence on my travel choices. But the fact that they haven’t announced any so far has zero influence.
San Gottardo and Raul_R like this.
Old Apr 8, 2020, 1:58 am

Programs: LH -- HON Circle **, IHG Spire Elite, Hilton Diamond, 1865 Voyager
Originally Posted by sophialite
I’m pretty sure I can speak for myself and other HONs on this forum in saying that none of the responses so far from other carriers have had any influence on my loyalty to LHG. I do, however, expect LHG to take some remedial measures once the dust is closer to settling. And failure to do (or failing to take sufficient steps) so would have an influence on my travel choices. But the fact that they haven’t announced any so far has zero influence.

I totally agree.
Old Apr 8, 2020, 2:17 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
As you can see in this forum, things related to travel and elite status is the last thing on peoples mind

Lufthansa just sent 87000 people into so called 'kurzarbeit' and is only operating 5% of its schedule...
chris63 and dromack like this.
Old Apr 8, 2020, 5:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Platinum, M&M FTL, BA Blue
Anyway, it's their own fault if they made the thing so complicated that it will be really difficult to make adjustments such as extending people's status. Same problem at British Airways, but their attitude towards customer service is in another dimension totally.

Certainly, I think we have to sit tight for quite a bit and see how things evolve once this crisis begins to diminish. I have been in confinement here in Montreux (so to speak, because we're allowed to go out and about to a certain extent) since 14th March, not even a month. Even for me, not glued to a computer or phone screen all day long (thank God, I prefer to be glued to my music notes on good, traditional paper), it feels like a long time already. But I reckon we will have to sit tight until at least the end of May. The point is, with everything being so instant now (WhatsApp, Faceblah, mobile hones) it's not easy to sit and let chunks of time more than a few seconds long pass (how the heck do people still manage to sit through Wagner operas?? My hat off to them).
Old Apr 8, 2020, 7:50 am

Programs: Eurostar Carte Blanche, SBB-CFF-FFS GA-AG, SNCF Grand Voyageur LeClub
Originally Posted by sophialite
I’m pretty sure I can speak for myself and other HONs on this forum in saying that none of the responses so far from other carriers have had any influence on my loyalty to LHG.
+1

What currently drives my "love" for a certain airline is not what they do to status card holders whose status expires around now. I have top status with three airlines, and this is what drives my "love" for them:
  • Lufthansa (HON, no announcement about extension yet):lke them. Called them a few times, never more than 2 minute wait, competent team. When I had to cancel an award flight they put the miles back into my account and fees were refunded to my credit card (I understand they no longer do that though)
  • Air France (C2000 ULTI/Plat for Life, announced lower qualification threshold for people whose status expires now): like them. Called them, never a long wait. Very competent team. Could rebook anything without any problem. Got voucher for a cancellation, but that voucher is fully refundable if not used within one year (which I can live with).
  • British Airways (Gold): not happy. Cancelled an award flight. Got a vouhcer - but it's not clear what for, for which value (what is the USD voucher equivalent of an Avios?), how much it's worth cannot be seen online. Calling them is a pain, I hung up three times after the wait got too long, and then I had to go through their over-done ID checks (I was cancelling the ticket of my wife that had been paid with my miles). What I do like is that they extended the validity of my GUF voucher.
So currently, all that matters to me is how I can handle the current situation (I am less worried about not getting a money/credit card refund as I expect to travel with those airlines in the future anyway). Renewing my status will matter to me once I start flying again. And then it will matter which airline will be more generous. But now? I don't give a flying flamingo...
LondonElite likes this.
Old Apr 8, 2020, 8:52 am

Programs: LH HON, QF CL, SQ TPPS, AF Plat, VS Gold, VA Plat, EK Gold, HH Diamond, WoH Globalist, Marriott Plat
Personally I couldn’t care less about any changes to their M&M qualification requirements. That won’t change my loyalty to them.

What could negatively affect my loyalty towards them is the illegal attitude towards refunds. For me personally they’ve cancelled over £25K worth of flights, and I don’t think it’s my responsibility to give a national carrier an interest free loan.

The only airline I haven’t received refunds from (even though apparently they will be processed sometime this year... eyeroll) is Lufthansa Group.

After all the business I’ve given them, this does make me feel like the loyalty is one-way only, and I’ll remember this.
Dave_C, chris63, CRJ and 2 others like this.
Old Apr 8, 2020, 2:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I think it's important to make a list of all these travel companies which behaved well during this crisis, and a list of those who were poor. But this isn't the place for that, as it's too general. The new Coronavirus forum, maybe? I think, going forward, a lot of travellers (and members here) will bear in mind which companies handled this well as opposed to those who didn't. I have the feeling that Lufthansa falls into the category of those that didn't behave well!
Old Apr 9, 2020, 3:26 am

Are there any (global) airlines that have been handling the current situation well?
Old Apr 9, 2020, 5:11 am

Originally Posted by Maniak
Are there any (global) airlines that have been handling the current situation well?
There seems to be zero complaints about how Air Koryo is handling it
Old Apr 9, 2020, 5:36 am

Programs: LH HON, QF CL, SQ TPPS, AF Plat, VS Gold, VA Plat, EK Gold, HH Diamond, WoH Globalist, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by Maniak
Small sample size obviously but both major Australian airlines (Qantas and Virgin Australia) seem to be issuing refunds as per regular procedure, and complying with all laws and regulations.
Old Apr 9, 2020, 6:25 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
This page has a nice overview: https://www.easemytrip.com/airlines-...virus.html#Dom

Most airlines are not allowing free cancellations.
Old Apr 9, 2020, 7:22 am

Programs: LX SEN, AFKL Platinum, BA Bronze,
Originally Posted by YuropFlyer
There seems to be zero complaints about how Air Koryo is handling it
Another cynical point of view perhaps, but I might as well add that FlyBe handled it right by not denying being insolvent and actually ceasing operations. Just about everyone else is technically insolvent, sitting on whatever cash is left and waiting for taxpayers to bail them out...
mmff likes this.
Old Apr 9, 2020, 8:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Flybe was always a basket case, though, and it was a pretty toxic airline (to quote some online business article I read).
It sounds, just from what I have been gleaning by reading loads of articles, that two airlines seem to stand out:
- Aeroflot, which extended all members status for one year. Usually the customer service of this airline is a bit Soviet and I am not sure how they have been handling refunds and cancellations. But they got a lot of kudos among bloggers for that uncomplicated and proactive status extension.
- Air Canada, another airline like BA which controls pretty much everything in its home territory. The ways in which they behave on occasion made me think that they would be the least disposed towards helping their customers, but apparently they have come up with a novel way of extending status and dealing with all the various scenarios there might be. Have a look here:

https://www.headforpoints.com/2020/0...hould-be-done/

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.