Covid19: M&M Elite Status Extensions?

Old Mar 20, 2020, 2:41 am
Original Poster

Programs: Star Aliance Gold, Hilton Gold
Covid19: M&M Elite Status Extensions?

Anyone know yet what the policy of M&M will be on status extensions? LH*G here - canceled about 50K worth of status flight so far due to COVID, so, at the least they should tack on 6 months depending on grounding? Thanks in advance for the info. Cheers all.
Old Mar 20, 2020, 2:49 am

Programs: LH HON, AF Platinum
Originally Posted by wien_expat
Anyone know yet what the policy of M&M will be on status extensions? LH*G here - canceled about 50K worth of status flight so far due to COVID, so, at the least they should tack on 6 months depending on grounding? Thanks in advance for the info. Cheers all.
Way, way too early to be thinking about this.
more4less, Keter and mmff like this.
Old Mar 20, 2020, 2:53 am
Original Poster

I somewhat agree with you - but I've heard from every company I've ever had business with (including years ago in different countries) over COVID policies, except for M&M. Not even an email. LH group has been communicative, but M&M is a different story.
Old Mar 20, 2020, 2:57 am

I somewhat agree with you - but I've heard from every company I've ever had business with (including years ago in different countries) over COVID policies, except for M&M. Not even an email. LH group has been communicative, but M&M is a different story.
I'm sure all those companies' communications to you have been along the lines of, "we are shutting down for now and not sure when we'll open back up again/plan to open back up on [date]," or "we are operating at a reduced capacity."

I'm also sure none of those companies have communicated to you what'll happen to them and your relationship with them when this is all over.

That's mostly because nobody knows what's going to happen.

And in times like this, hate to break it to you, but no one cares about your frequent flyer miles.
FlyingJazzy likes this.
Old Mar 20, 2020, 3:01 am
Original Poster

Wow, classy attitude. But seeing as your replying, you obviously do care :-)
Old Mar 20, 2020, 3:16 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Since M&M elite qualification schedule is oriented on the calendar year there is no urgency to formulate/publish a policy... once operations resume they can always issue status miles gifts towards the end of the year when it becomes evident how many elites would fall off a cliff at year end. Similar to the mega strike years in the past...
more4less likes this.
Old Mar 20, 2020, 3:17 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
The priority is operational at this point. I don't agree with the approach of some airlines who just tack on another year of the same status. Give it some time and the situation will become clearer. It is very likely that some status adjustments will be made.
mmff and Hydro88 like this.
Old Mar 20, 2020, 4:23 am
Original Poster

Thanks a lot - I didn't consider comparing this to a strike situation.
Old Mar 20, 2020, 11:40 am

Programs: LH, SU
Aeroflot just extended all statuses +1 year, Including platinum that needs 125K miles per year. All upgrade vouchers (3 per year) and additional gold card included. Was a nice surprise.
hugolover and vladko like this.
Old Mar 20, 2020, 4:23 pm

Programs: IB+ Emerald (Platino), M&M Senator (Gold), Meli Rewards Platino, NH Platinum
Just got this email from LH Group:

Frequent fliers
We are aware that opportunities to earn status miles are currently limited. Over the course of this year, we will offer accommodating solutions for maintaining your status.......

Old Mar 21, 2020, 1:15 am

Programs: KL PFL; BA Gold; A3 Silver; EY Silver; SU Silver
Originally Posted by sophialite
Way, way too early to be thinking about this.
Yes, I agree. I see Aeroflot's move for example as poorly though marketing gesture in this respect.

However, i have an issue with my M&M miles expriing soon and this is something I would really like M&M look into ASAP. Good thing the AF/ KL has protected the miles from expiration for one year - so we have some competitor action to look into.
Old Mar 21, 2020, 3:06 am

Programs: MUCCI Classe des Flatteurs Preferes, LH SEN, BA silver, IHG Plat Amb, Accor Plat
At the start of the year I was aiming to have status in the three alliances, including renting SEN in 2020.
Now I'm not at all worried about it and if I lose status, that's just the way it is, I have other more important things to worry about.

However, I am curious to know how M&M will treat it later on when they are able to deal with it, because it is a complex situation with the transition to the new system.
For example, at the start of the year I had 2020 or 2021 to renew SEN. If I got my 100,000 miles in 2020 I would renew for two years to Feb 2025.
But with the new system starting in 2021, if I got my 100,000 miles in 2021 I would only renew for 1 year to Feb 2024.
100,000 status miles in 2020 will be difficult to do for many.

Disclaimer: I must emphasise, I am just interested in seeing how different airlines deal with it during the year, I have more important things to stress about - I'm currently in lockdown at the moment!
Old Mar 21, 2020, 4:08 am

Programs: LH SEN & DL Plat
And to answer the OP question, I received a mail today stating that LH Group is aware of the flight reductions and people beeing unable to fly and keep their status and they will communicate how they will handle this in a later stage....
Old Mar 21, 2020, 12:51 pm

Originally Posted by Abouttimetoo
Unfortunately it's completely legible, I'd prefer it if it weren't: it's hardly intelligible though. That aside I think you're spot on with your other comments.
Fair enough :-)
Abouttimetoo likes this.
Old Mar 25, 2020, 8:14 am

Programs: ST E+, *G, some hotel gold...
Swiss sort of commits to lowering the requal requierements.

Status customers

If you are one of our valued status customers, we acknowledge that your possibilities for accumulating status miles are currently limited. In view of this, we will be easing the corresponding provisions for retaining your program status in the course of this year.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.