Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Enter to FCL at FRA using cash

Search this Thread

Old Nov 18, 2019, 2:07 am

Programs: LH HON, AF Platinum

This just taken from the FCT. The food was good. But this is not EUR 200. Or EUR 100. Or EUR 50. I’ve had pretty delicious breakfasts for EUR 15. And, again although good, nothing that is worth salivating over. So unless you plan to knock back a bottle of Louise at 9am, I struggle again to understand the value of 200 EUR here. Maybe the famous Michelin Star chef shows up for lunch and dinner instead?
FlyerTalker324193 likes this.
Old Nov 18, 2019, 2:12 am

And just for the sake of being intellectually honest, I can’t say I’d necessarily be above the allure of the “prestige” if I was in someone else’s shoes and had to pay 200 EUR for access. Many of us are susceptible to these instincts, and I’m sure most of us on this forum have made decisions with that influence hanging in the periphery (or even being front and center). That’s kind of why this forum exists. We are all a little bit obsessed.

But, again, just thinking through this rationally, this is not worth EUR 200.
Old Nov 18, 2019, 3:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: LH HON***,UA,BA.EK Gold,AV.
Originally Posted by sophialite

This just taken from the FCT. The food was good. But this is not EUR 200. Or EUR 100. Or EUR 50. I’ve had pretty delicious breakfasts for EUR 15. And, again although good, nothing that is worth salivating over. So unless you plan to knock back a bottle of Louise at 9am, I struggle again to understand the value of 200 EUR here. Maybe the famous Michelin Star chef shows up for lunch and dinner instead?
That’s simply not representative of the Breakfast offering at the FCT, please try to post accurately not all here get to visit the FCT.

The Eggs Benedict freshly prepared by the Chef are good
Old Nov 18, 2019, 3:10 am

Originally Posted by chris63
That’s simply not representative of the Breakfast offering at the FCT, please try to post accurately not all here get to visit the FCT.

The Eggs Benedict freshly prepared by the Chef are good
I will admit that I’ve never ordered breakfast a la carte from the FCT. Again, I’m sure it’s delicious. But not EUR 50 delicious.

For example, I frequently eat breakfast at the Claridges Hotel in London, for a variety of reasons. It’s actually among the best breakfasts I’ve ever eaten, quality wise. But my personal bill rarely tops 40 GBP.

So let’s say that this is as good as Claridges (again one is a 5 star hotel, the other an airport lounge in Frankfurt; it’s unlikely they are equally good but for the sake of argument, let’s assume so). That’s 50 EUR Of value. I guess the rest depends on how much you value you can get for 150 EUR. Maybe if it included a day room like in Zurich FCL E I could see it.

Actually I could definitely see it in that scenario.

Maybe also if the spa in FCL B was free. A mani, pedi, facial and/or massage is decent value for EUR 150. I also do think the spa should be free for at least one treatment. AF’s La Premiere lounge gives you a free treatment.

Edit: in fairness, the spread is also a bit larger. Lots of yogurts and spreads and jams and breads, and some cake. I personally physically can’t consume that much food, but it is available for the taking (and quite tempting if you have a sweet tooth like I do).
Old Nov 18, 2019, 3:18 am

Also goes without saying that if they’re smothering oscetra caviar on the eggs benedict, I’m ok with adding another 30 EUR. But it needs to be a generous smothering.
Old Nov 18, 2019, 3:32 am

Programs: LX SEN
I think I would be OK paying EUR 70 to access the FCL, maybe up to 100. What really gets me here is parties of 2 and above. At a higher cost, you might find yourself spending $1k so everyone can enjoy a lounge for three hours. It’s just ludicrous.

When I add in all that I could obtain at the lounge, I have a hard time going above EUR 90. And I realize that LH needs to make money here so I can pad it with EUR 10. But when I think of the cost per head in that lounge, I do think that there is a lot of margin for LH if you pay north of EUR 100.
Maybe you are right in terms of valuation. But some of us use pre-tax money to pay for those services or, even better, other persons' funds. A few weeks ago, I had to buy a few tickets to travel to VCE on business. The fare was an outrageous fare and a complete waste of money by any reasonable viewpoint. I could have flown on a different cheaper schedule, taken the train, my bike, etc, but I did not care so much as I would have otherwise, as it was on my pre-tax money. With other words, value of money is different depending from what account one takes it. Hence, EUR 200 for FCL access would be perfectly reasonable for me according to your valuation of the services provided there.
chris63 likes this.

Last edited by Nic33; Nov 18, 2019 at 3:55 am
Old Nov 18, 2019, 3:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I will admit that I’ve never ordered breakfast a la carte from the FCT. Again, I’m sure it’s delicious. But not EUR 50 delicious.

For example, I frequently eat breakfast at the Claridges Hotel in London, for a variety of reasons. It’s actually among the best breakfasts I’ve ever eaten, quality wise. But my personal bill rarely tops 40 GBP.

So let’s say that this is as good as Claridges (again one is a 5 star hotel, the other an airport lounge in Frankfurt; it’s unlikely they are equally good but for the sake of argument, let’s assume so). That’s 50 EUR Of value. I guess the rest depends on how much you value you can get for 150 EUR. Maybe if it included a day room like in Zurich FCL E I could see it.

Actually I could definitely see it in that scenario.

Maybe also if the spa in FCL B was free. A mani, pedi, facial and/or massage is decent value for EUR 150. I also do think the spa should be free for at least one treatment. AF’s La Premiere lounge gives you a free treatment.

Edit: in fairness, the spread is also a bit larger. Lots of yogurts and spreads and jams and breads, and some cake. I personally physically can’t consume that much food, but it is available for the taking (and quite tempting if you have a sweet tooth like I do).
Where did anyone here say that they would spend 200 EUR just for the FCL food ?

Try an Asia to South America layover on LH, you would be there all day, Breakfast, Lunch & Dinner & need the day room.
We get that YOU wouldn’t spend the cash but there are others that do & it’s their cash
worldclubber likes this.
Old Nov 18, 2019, 7:15 am

Programs: LH M&M, BA EC, DL SM
Glad we are back on topic.

Most of my upcoming flights are in F anyway, but I have one F-less A350 trip coming up and will most certainly buy FCL access; great that it is actually possible. Have a long layover, as it is on a weekend, when the frequency of the feeders per day is reduced by half.

Just like some will spend money on a concert ticket, admission to a theme park, or an elevator ride up the Empire State Building just for the view, I am happy to spend 200 for the quietness of the FCL. It is not about the food alone, or the drink alone, or the day rooms alone, or the bath with ducks alone, or the car ride alone, or only for a cigar with a view... If I feel like it, I will do it. Period.
chris63, wfiring12 and Fabo.sk like this.
Old Nov 18, 2019, 7:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by worldclubber
.. If I feel like it, I will do it. Period.
That’s what’s most important, the freedom to choose & the freedom to express that choice

Anyone undermining those basic principles should be ashamed
Old Nov 18, 2019, 8:25 am
Suspended

Programs: AF/KL FB Gold (E+) TK Elite (*G) QR Gold (OW Sapphire) IHG Platinum, B&W Diamont, Ascott Gold
That’s what’s most important, the freedom to choose & the freedom to express that choice

+1

After all this writing about the FCL, I simply have to see it now 😊
Hope they will let me buy my way in as *G, when I do.... Thanks for the info didn't know you could.
chris63 likes this.

Last edited by flyertalker00973; Nov 18, 2019 at 8:34 am
Old Nov 18, 2019, 9:06 am

Originally Posted by Nic33
Maybe you are right in terms of valuation. But some of us use pre-tax money to pay for those services or, even better, other persons' funds. A few weeks ago, I had to buy a few tickets to travel to VCE on business. The fare was an outrageous fare and a complete waste of money by any reasonable viewpoint. I could have flown on a different cheaper schedule, taken the train, my bike, etc, but I did not care so much as I would have otherwise, as it was on my pre-tax money. With other words, value of money is different depending from what account one takes it. Hence, EUR 200 for FCL access would be perfectly reasonable for me according to your valuation of the services provided there.
I think this is right.

Where did anyone here say that they would spend 200 EUR just for the FCL food ?

Try an Asia to South America layover on LH, you would be there all day, Breakfast, Lunch & Dinner & need the day room.
We get that YOU wouldn’t spend the cash but there are others that do & it’s their cash
If I had that long a layover, I could get even better cuisine and a hotel room for the day in the city. Easy.

I don't think I once advocated in this thread for fascism (or anywhere). You're free to do whatever you want. You are also free to jump off a building. It's just that there are good decisions and there are bad decisions. Jumping off a building would be a bad decision. I don't think telling someone it's a bad decision undermines the basic principles of freedom.

lol.

Originally Posted by worldclubber
Glad we are back on topic.

Most of my upcoming flights are in F anyway, but I have one F-less A350 trip coming up and will most certainly buy FCL access; great that it is actually possible. Have a long layover, as it is on a weekend, when the frequency of the feeders per day is reduced by half.

Just like some will spend money on a concert ticket, admission to a theme park, or an elevator ride up the Empire State Building just for the view, I am happy to spend 200 for the quietness of the FCL. It is not about the food alone, or the drink alone, or the day rooms alone, or the bath with ducks alone, or the car ride alone, or only for a cigar with a view... If I feel like it, I will do it. Period.
Go for it. It's just a waste of money. In our political systems (I'm assuming you're not a resident of North Korea or something like that), you're welcome to make that choice, no matter unwise it is.

And you shouldn't be ashamed for making that unwise decision.

Last edited by oliver2002; Nov 19, 2019 at 1:07 am Reason: please use multiquote
Old Nov 18, 2019, 9:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

If I had that long a layover, I could get even better cuisine and a hotel room for the day in the city. Easy.
For lower overall cost, do explain ? , not to mention the lost time in doing that but maybe your wasted time is not important ?
FCL’s have business facilities too
Old Nov 18, 2019, 9:24 am

For lower overall cost, do explain ? , not to mention the lost time in doing that but maybe your wasted time is not important ?
FCL’s have business facilities too
I have a hard time believing I'd save money in the process, especially knowing my tastes. But you have to understand that I'm not looking at how expensive it is, but value for dollar/EUR/GBP/Zimbabwe dollar.

I think we can all now safely agree that for a short layover, paying for FCL access is probably not worth it.

For a medium layover, we start to disagree. I don't see it here.

For a long layover, we definitely disagree. I wouldn't book my travel that way in the first place as, as you say, I value my time. But if I was forced to, I would spend that time in the city. In a beautiful city like Munich, I can enjoy a visit to the Pinacotek museum, do some shopping on Maximillianstrasse, and eat some of the finest meals. I can also negotiate with any of the five star hotels for a day-room rate. 90% of the time when I made the request, I got it.

If you wanted to, you could keep it cheap. Take the U-Bahn into the city, you can still eat quality food for breakfast lunch and dinner under 100 EUR, and enjoy a day room at a lower quality hotel. There is the convenience factor, but if convenience was such a factor, but that doesn't matter on a long layover like this. On a medium layover, I could see that. Especially if you have important business to conduct. But then again the SEN lounges are adequate for this.
Old Nov 18, 2019, 9:28 am

Programs: LH SEN *
Originally Posted by GR15
Hope they will let me buy my way in as *G, when I do.... Thanks for the info didn't know you could.
Sorry, you can't. The whole discussion got off the subject, so let me remind you the rules of this offer.

The privilege is only for SENATORS (Miles & More Gold card holders), not for any Star Alliance Gold members.
Senators must have a BP for intercontinental flight in Business Class or Premium Economy.
The offer is valid only for FCL B in FRA and T2 Satellite in MUC.
Payments must be made by credit card at the entrance: EUR 200 for a SEN travelling in Intercontinental Business Class (+companion/child EUR 150), or EUR 300 for a SEN travelling in Intercontinental PE (+companion/child EUR 200).
Availability is limited.
Old Nov 18, 2019, 9:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I have a hard time believing I'd save money in the process, especially knowing my tastes. But you have to understand that I'm not looking at how expensive it is, but value for dollar/EUR/GBP/Zimbabwe dollar.

I think we can all now safely agree that for a short layover, paying for FCL access is probably not worth it.

For a medium layover, we start to disagree. I don't see it here.

For a long layover, we definitely disagree. I wouldn't book my travel that way in the first place as, as you say, I value my time. But if I was forced to, I would spend that time in the city. In a beautiful city like Munich, I can enjoy a visit to the Pinacotek museum, do some shopping on Maximillianstrasse, and eat some of the finest meals. I can also negotiate with any of the five star hotels for a day-room rate. 90% of the time when I made the request, I got it.

If you wanted to, you could keep it cheap. Take the U-Bahn into the city, you can still eat quality food for breakfast lunch and dinner under 100 EUR, and enjoy a day room at a lower quality hotel. There is the convenience factor, but if convenience was such a factor, but that doesn't matter on a long layover like this. On a medium layover, I could see that. Especially if you have important business to conduct. But then again the SEN lounges are adequate for this.
That’s your best effort to justify the unjustifiable, as per the scenario I suggested & I have had to do it numerous times, Asia to South America, in J (& without HON ) & needing to work, it would make much more sense to pay 200 EUR for FCL access

But your only interested in saying 200 EUR is too much for FCL access no matter what the circumstances
Fabo.sk likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.