Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Enter to FCL at FRA using cash

Search this Thread

Old Nov 16, 2019, 7:40 am

Programs: LH M&M, BA EC, DL SM
Originally Posted by LondonElite
The only waste of money is to burn it (literally).
^

At least in most cases.

Beware, true anecdote: In the middle of the 1990s, before mobile phones became popular, some good friends and then colleagues of mine (not hearsay!), unexperienced hikers, went almost all the way to the top of Ben Nevis one day with unsuitable equipment and suddenly fog came in, so thick that they couldn't find their way back down. At one point they decided that they should stop for the night and were afraid they were going to die, as it was very cold. They had a lighter but couldn't get a fire started., despite all the trees. Since they thought they were going to die anyway, they used all the cash they had and, no kidding, bras and other things to get the wood burning to keep them warm and signal where they are. The next morning, Scottish Mountain Rescue found them with a helicopter and brought them all back alive. May not have been a waste of money to burn the cash.
chris63 and FlyingHighlander like this.
Old Nov 16, 2019, 7:42 am

Originally Posted by sophialite
I eat at the FCLs all the time. The food isn’t that good. A duck that costs $.50 to make isn’t worth $200 either. You also wouldn’t hopefully drink a whole bottle of Louise.

Not sure if paid access includes a ride to the plane. If it does, paying $200 for a ride to a plane is silly.
Nobody ever said I would pay 200 Euros for the ride to the plane. I am out.
chris63 and andywaw like this.
Old Nov 16, 2019, 7:48 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by worldclubber
Is a 200 Euro meal at any Michelin starred restaurant a waste, too?
The FCT doesn't have any Michelin stars.

The quality of the food is not quite at the level of Germany's restaurants with 1 or 2 stars (not even speaking of 3 stars) IMHO.

They certainly have strong suits, though. Champagne is obviously a crowd-pleaser at the FCL/FCT. I bet their champagne cave is better than that of a good number of 1*/2* restaurants.
Old Nov 16, 2019, 7:58 am

Programs: LH HON, AF Platinum
Originally Posted by 8mh

The quality of the food is not quite at the level of Germany's restaurants with 1 or 2 stars (not even speaking of 3 stars) IMHO.

They certainly have strong suits, though. Champagne is obviously a crowd-pleaser at the FCL/FCT. I bet their champagne cave is better than that of a good number of 1*/2* restaurants.
Yes. FCT/FCL food is definitely as good as it should be, but to say you’re getting Michelin starred dining (as much as I hate that metric because I’ve had many not so great Michelin starred meals, but we can use this flawed metric for now) is absurd.

The only way in which $200 is not a waste for the lounge is if you pound a $175 bottle of champagne or whisky or something like that. I assume the other items are worth around $25 or so. But even then I’m not sure it’s still not a waste. You don’t exactly go about pounding expensive alcohol, at least if you want to appreciate the taste and subtlety after each and every sip.

And there’s no need to take it personally when you are wrong. Everyone makes bad decisions. But don’t seek refuge in subjectivity. That’s for the weak.
Old Nov 16, 2019, 8:18 am

Originally Posted by 8mh

Don't take this out of context, please.

I never said the FCL has *M food, at least not outside of the specials such as the current one.

It was a comparison that what is a waste of money for some (who wouldn't drop 200 Euro for a meal) does not have to be a waste for others (who would he happy to stand in line to be aloud to spend far in excess of 200 at a restaurant). I don't condemn either.
Old Nov 16, 2019, 8:28 am

But don’t seek refuge in subjectivity.
I'll give it one more try. You are not the kind of person I would want to have a glass of Louise with, but I don't think you are stupid either and may get it at some point:

Everything in the world is about subjectivity and whole industries survive because of that. When it comes to subjectivity, one can be more (me) and less (you) tolerant. People make decisions what to spend their money on and who am I (or you) to judge them.

If I feel like going to the FCL for 200 Euros I will, no matter what you think about it, because one alternative would be to fly a lot more for a lot more money and spend much more time away from my family and become HON. I could even "waste" time on mileage runs. Not for me.

Talking about a waste of money: Didn't you say somewhere today that you find the short-haul experience in an exit row seat better than J, but would still spend/waste extra cash to buy business class fares to get HON miles ...
FlyingHighlander and andywaw like this.
Old Nov 16, 2019, 8:54 am
Suspended

Don't take this out of context, please.

I never said the FCL has *M food, at least not outside of the specials such as the current one.
But we know those specials are merely created by *M cooks. Those cooks don't actually run the FCL kitchen.

You gotta realize it's a marketing scheme that has been employed on everything from canned soup over airline catering up to smart casual dining.

Not trying to slam the F&B in the FCL/T. For the most part, I very much enjoyed it the times I had the chance to be there.
Old Nov 16, 2019, 9:05 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Yes. FCT/FCL food is definitely as good as it should be, but to say you’re getting Michelin starred dining (as much as I hate that metric because I’ve had many not so great Michelin starred meals, but we can use this flawed metric for now) is absurd.

The only way in which $200 is not a waste for the lounge is if you pound a $175 bottle of champagne or whisky or something like that. I assume the other items are worth around $25 or so. But even then I’m not sure it’s still not a waste. You don’t exactly go about pounding expensive alcohol, at least if you want to appreciate the taste and subtlety after each and every sip.

And there’s no need to take it personally when you are wrong. Everyone makes bad decisions. But don’t seek refuge in subjectivity. That’s for the weak.
Your opinion is subjective, someone may wish to spend the money not to mingle with the *Gs in the SEN lounge. And what is this ‘subjectivity is for the weak’ nonsense?
Old Nov 16, 2019, 9:12 am

Originally Posted by 8mh
But we know those specials are merely created by *M cooks. Those cooks don't actually run the FCL kitchen.

In general, no. This month, they have a special with the ***chef actually being there for some days.

But that's not my point anyway, so let's move away from the food discussion. The point is that for some people the FCL experience may be worth 200 and for some it's not. I'm glad humans are like that, otherwise we would all live in the same "best" place, wear the same "best" clothes, drink the same "best" drink ...
chris63 and Hydro88 like this.
Old Nov 16, 2019, 9:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: LH HON***,UA,BA.EK Gold,AV.
I eat at the FCLs all the time. The food isn’t that good. A duck that costs $.50 to make isn’t worth $200 either. You also wouldn’t hopefully drink a whole bottle of Louise.

Not sure if paid access includes a ride to the plane. If it does, paying $200 for a ride to a plane is silly.
Your a newly minted HON & one that has previously stated you don’t eat much
LH FCL/FCT food is high quality, was 15 years ago & still is

The Ducks are intended to be collectors items, so added value there

What’s wrong with having a bottle of Louise ? End of a long day & work over ? Or a holiday celebration, as HON I’m free to choose
lhrpete, worldclubber and andywaw like this.
Old Nov 16, 2019, 9:46 am

Originally Posted by chris63
What’s wrong with having a bottle of Louise ? End of a long day & work over ? Or a holiday celebration, as HON I’m free to choose
On a long 5+hour layover, even seven 0.15 liter glasses don't sound excessive to me, i.e. one and a half bottle.

One and a half bottles of Louise cost more than 200 Euro at the store. Following sophialite's logic applied above, one would thus only pay for the bubbly and everything else (food, ride to the plane, shower, day room, etc.) would be absolutely free -- what a great deal, I should do this more often!
chris63 likes this.
Old Nov 16, 2019, 9:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by 8mh

You gotta realize it's a marketing scheme that has been employed on everything from canned soup over airline catering up to smart casual dining.

Not trying to slam the F&B in the FCL/T. For the most part, I very much enjoyed it the times I had the chance to be there.
Just like the M* Chefs don’t cook everything at their restaurant’s, this particular Chef comes in and explains, demonstrates his Menu to the actual Chefs who prepare the dishes, putting his name & reputation on the line & it works 👍
Old Nov 16, 2019, 9:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

On a long 5+hour layover, even seven 0.15 liter glasses don't sound excessive to me, i.e. one and a half bottle.

One and a half bottles of Louise cost more than 200 Euro at the store. Following sophialite's logic applied above, one would thus only pay for the bubbly and everything else (food, ride to the plane, shower, day room, etc.) would be absolutely free -- what a great deal, I should do this more often!
Indeed & Louise is so quaffable, it’s very hard to resist if one is discerning

Not everyone is blessed with logic, fortunately you are.
worldclubber likes this.
Old Nov 16, 2019, 5:51 pm

Programs: Der 5* FTL
You probably misunderstood my post: I don't count the glasses of Louise to drink my money back. Just tried to put the 200 Euro in relation to the goods and services provided.
No, no not saying you would, but some do. well further part of this thread sort of proves my point.

Originally Posted by IAN-UK
Of course, different strokes....

But a one-in-a-lifetime trip for me would probably involve a second person, so that would be EUR500. And that would set the pips squeaking.

But as worldclubber suggests, I could just about see it happening if faced with a looong connection. I'd get irritated in the SEN lounge, probably want to get my head down, and a Hilton dayroom is going to be EUR100. I'd rationalise the additional EUR100 spend in the transactional/utilitarian way you despise
It would have to be in right circumstances of course. Which is pretty much to say, going on a trip that is important (and the second person might very well be why it is important - I was thinking originally like a honeymoon), and I'd have to be in a situation where extra 500 doesn't make too much of a difference, but F is either not feasible or plain unavailable (like let's say Male. Setting aside the point that Maldives might not be the best value, neither OS nor LH fly there with F).

And of course a long connection. What is the point of going to F lounge once-in-a-lifetime for an hour?

I’ve never bought an LV bag either. I’d say it’s a bigger waste of money than paying for an FCL but at least you can use it for longer.
Considering how you can get much nicer bags for a similar amount of money, I wouldn't buy LV either. But... many people see value in advertising their value by medium of mostly crass bags, so LVMH is the giant it is.

The bigger problem I have is whether it is the people buying a $175 bottle of champagne or whisky that would be making this calulation... probably not. And if you would never buy a bottle at $175, then it doesn't make it $175 of value if you get it for free.

For me personally the limit of the cost on a bottle I might normally buy is about 50 euros. If you went and gifted me an 18 year old Yamazaki, doesn't mean the value of your gift is 500 euros, though the cost is. Yeah, it's going to be worth more than 50 to me, but not that much.

Someone who buys $200 bottles regularly can probably also derive better value from other options than buying in. With a Centurion card, you get in for free. Multiple times.

Everything in the world is about subjectivity and whole industries survive because of that. When it comes to subjectivity, one can be more (me) and less (you) tolerant. People make decisions what to spend their money on and who am I (or you) to judge them.

If I feel like going to the FCL for 200 Euros I will, no matter what you think about it, because one alternative would be to fly a lot more for a lot more money and spend much more time away from my family and become HON. I could even "waste" time on mileage runs. Not for me.
Good point about mileage runs. People commonly spend more than 200 euros on them, with many people considering them an epic waste of money. Probably most people outside of FT.

That is true as well. A bottle of wine is not that much alcohol, definitely for an average man. Especially over some time.
FlyerTalker324193 likes this.
Old Nov 16, 2019, 10:25 pm

Programs: LH HON, AF Platinum
Originally Posted by chris63
Your a newly minted HON & one that has previously stated you don’t eat much
LH FCL/FCT food is high quality, was 15 years ago & still is

The Ducks are intended to be collectors items, so added value there

This decision doesn’t apply to us because we don’t have to choose. For us, using the FCT/FCL every time is a win for us, because it’s “free.” And when I’m entering the lounge and hear worldclubber try to convince a lounge dragon to take his 200 EUR so he can use the lounge, I will chortle. Guaranteed.

Last edited by sophialite; Nov 16, 2019 at 10:35 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.