Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Enter to FCL at FRA using cash

Search this Thread

Old Nov 16, 2019, 10:34 pm

Programs: LH HON, AF Platinum
And of course a long connection. What is the point of going to F lounge once-in-a-lifetime for an hour?
See I’m not so sure here. I’m of the position that one shouldn’t be booking long layovers in the first place if they can help it. Again, with the theme that there are objective wastes of money, I value my time more than money. Even the FCT starts to bother me after three hours of sitting there.

For people whose time is valuable, we don’t book 5 hour layovers (and if we do I cram calls and meetings into it). If it’s a special occasion like a honeymoon, do your now wife a favor and show her something other than an airline lounge. I promise women don’t care about this stuff as much as men do.
Old Nov 16, 2019, 10:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: LH HON***,UA,BA.EK Gold,AV.
Originally Posted by sophialite
This decision doesn’t apply to us because we don’t have to choose. For us, using the FCT/FCL every time is a win for us, because it’s “free.” And when I’m entering the lounge and hear worldclubber try to convince a lounge dragon to take his 200 EUR so he can use the lounge, I will chortle. Guaranteed.
Not free though is it, we have both gone out of our way to gain some HON miles, it’s just compensation for that.

If Worldclubber chooses to buy into the FCL, I hope I’m there, it would be a privilege to sit down with Him over a glass or 3 of Louise.
worldclubber and Fabo.sk like this.
Old Nov 17, 2019, 1:23 am
Suspended

And no I’m not getting into a philosophical debate, “everything is relative.” There are some things that are subjective and some that are not. This is one that isn’t. 200 EUR for the FCL is a total waste. If it wasn’t a bad deal for you and a great deal for LH, LH wouldn’t offer it.
While I had my disagreements with worldclubber, I don't get the impression he is completely out of his mind.

I am with you when you say it's hard to get EUR 200 of value out of the FCL. For one, it's not a GBP 10 all-you-can-eat buffet frequented by all kinds of low lifes. I'd be embarred to gulp ten glasses of champagne in the FCL. In fact, I would feel a bit embarrased for another person getting x glasses of champagne + whiskeys + a full restaurant meal + several buffets servings as well

But: You have to factor in that people's well-being is characterized by something known as "diminishing marginal utility." Roughly speaking, you enjoy the first time to watch the new movie from your favorite director more than you enjoy the fifth time. If you're stranded for three days with nothing to eat but gummy bears, you probably enjoy the first serving of gummy bears more than the tenth. Etc.

So, I take you get to visit the FCL and FCT relatively often. So it's nothing special.

I don't know about worldclubber and how often he goes. But if he is talking about his first visit, it may be a lot more exciting. He may put an entirely different value on the experience, the associated bragging rights with his friends, etc.
That may be worth more than EUR 200...

Last edited by FlyerTalker324193; Nov 17, 2019 at 1:28 am
Old Nov 17, 2019, 1:25 am

Originally Posted by 8mh
While I had my disagreements with worldclubber, I don't get the impression he is completely out of his mind.

I am with you when you say it's hard to get EUR 200 of value out of the FCL. For one, it's not a GBP 10 all-you-can-eat buffet frequented by all kinds of low lifes. I'd be embarred to gulp ten glasses of champagne in the FCL. In fact, I would feel a bit embarrased for another person getting x glasses of champagne + whiskeys + a full restaurant meal + several buffets servings as well

But: You have to factor in that people experience something known as "diminishing marginal utility." Roughly speaking, you enjoy the first time to watch the new movie from your favorite director more than you enjoy the fifth times. If you're stranded for three days with nothing to eat but gummy bears, you probably enjoy the first serving of gummy bears more than the tenth. Etc.

So, I take you get to visit the FCL and FCT relatively often. So it's nothing special.

I don't know about worldclubber and how often he goes. But if he is talking about his first visit, it may be a lot more exciting. He may put an entirely different value on the experience, the associated bragging rights with his friends, etc.
That may be worth more than EUR 200...
This is a fair point. Although in worldclubber’s case, from what I gather around these parts, he is no stranger to the front end of the plane.
Old Nov 17, 2019, 9:08 am

Programs: LH M&M, BA EC, DL SM
This is a fair point. Although in worldclubber’s case, from what I gather around these parts, he is no stranger to the front end of the plane.
That's the first thing I heard from you for a while you are right about.

My favorite seat is 1A/K. This year I even made it a point (just for the heck of it), to fly around the world in LH F and SQ Suites in 1A/F only.
chris63 likes this.
Old Nov 17, 2019, 3:48 pm

Programs: LX SEN
No need to escalate on such a trivial matter. Whether it is reasonable or not to pay EUR 200 to enter a FCL is an interesting rhetoric debate, but certainly not worth fighting for.

And we all know that there is no definitive answer. If there was on such topics, our daily conference calls and meetings would not last so long.
chris63 and hugolover like this.
Old Nov 17, 2019, 4:12 pm

Would be interesting to know, how many guests a year pay the access to FCL for EUR 299/249, no FCT, no limo.

The only chance to make that fee reasonable is by drinking alcohol. Worth of food is more around the range of EUR 30,-.
Old Nov 17, 2019, 4:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

30 EUR?! Have you seen the prices of food in FRA and MUC!
chris63 likes this.
Old Nov 17, 2019, 7:55 pm

Originally Posted by Nic33
No need to escalate on such a trivial matter. Whether it is reasonable or not to pay EUR 200 to enter a FCL is an interesting rhetoric debate, but certainly not worth fighting for.

And we all know that there is no definitive answer. If there was on such topics, our daily conference calls and meetings would not last so long.
I actually agree with this. I think it’s fine to argue that it’s objectively true that paying to enter the FCL with cash is not a waste of money. In other words, we can disagree on what is objectively true here. But I do think I am right that it is objectively true that it’s a waste of money. And I don’t think we can both be right (i.e., that it is and is not a waste of money, because that would be subjective).
Old Nov 17, 2019, 8:08 pm

btw. if you are having calls and meetings from a lounge, I certainly hope you at least find lounges with private call booths, for both the other people in the lounge and the people on the other side of the line...
I wouldn’t dare do a work call in public like that. It’s confidential stuff and it’s also disturbing to other passengers. It’s unfortunate people don’t share the latter mindset. In the Paris La Premiere lounge, someone was on FaceTime Video using the speakerphone function. In FRA I quite a few times hear people using their speaker phone for business calls in an open forum.

I’m totally ok with being bothered, if you don’t mind that I write down and keep everything I hear, which I can, will, and do.
Old Nov 17, 2019, 8:14 pm

Originally Posted by thbe
Would be interesting to know, how many guests a year pay the access to FCL for EUR 299/249, no FCT, no limo.

The only chance to make that fee reasonable is by drinking alcohol. Worth of food is more around the range of EUR 30,-.
I think I would be OK paying EUR 70 to access the FCL, maybe up to 100. What really gets me here is parties of 2 and above. At a higher cost, you might find yourself spending $1k so everyone can enjoy a lounge for three hours. It’s just ludicrous.

When I add in all that I could obtain at the lounge, I have a hard time going above EUR 90. And I realize that LH needs to make money here so I can pad it with EUR 10. But when I think of the cost per head in that lounge, I do think that there is a lot of margin for LH if you pay north of EUR 100.
Old Nov 17, 2019, 8:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I suspect very few, it’s not widely known about, they did it mostly to permit F pax & HON travelling in a party to bring in additional guests.
As Worldclubber pointed out to get value one would need a long layover & very fully make use of all the facilities, food & beverage

As mentioned elsewhere for various reasons the FCL’s are under used compared to 10 years ago.
Old Nov 17, 2019, 8:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by hugolover
30 EUR?! Have you seen the prices of food in FRA and MUC!
Absolutely, in the FCL’s the ingredients are top notch, expensive to start with, if you then have a four course meal, very easy to consume 100 EUR of food alone compared to a restaurant in Frankfurt or Munich providing the same level of quality.

My taste buds are tingling already
Old Nov 17, 2019, 11:36 pm

Programs: LH M&M, BA EC, DL SM
The did drive me to the plane in Z.
Old Nov 18, 2019, 1:20 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
35 OT personal comments and responses thereto deleted. If you cannot make a point without getting personal, it maybe time for you to read this part of the rules: https://www.flyertalk.com/help/rules.php#disciplinary

Regards Oliver2002
Mod M&M forum
chris63 and vantage03 like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.