Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 12, 2019, 6:52 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ACflyerDE
The programme will now change from 1 January 2022 (postponed again and it will not start before 2023)
https://www.miles-and-more.com/row/e...ts/update.html

All the changes are listed on the official M&M Website: https://www.miles-and-more.com/de/en...ts/update.html

Starting 2021, the system for earning status changes. From then on, status points are earned by cabin and segment flown:

Regional flights will earn 5 points in Economy and Premium Economy, 10 points in First and Business class per segment
Intercontinental flights, ie flights between two IATA regions, will earn 15 points in Economy, 20 in Premium Economy, 50 in Business and 70 in First class segments

There will be two kinds of points : qualifying points (QP): earned with M&M integrated partners (LH/EW/LX/OS/LO/OU/LG/etc) and normal points : earned with other partners like the airlines in the Star Alliance. QP can be earned on LH Airrail train segments, but are capped at 40/120/250 per year for FTL/SEN/HON.

'Frequent Traveler' (FTL, equivalent to *S) status is given to members with 160 points (of which atleast 80 need to be QP), 'Senator' (SEN, *G) to members with 480 points (of which atleast 240 need to be QP). HON Circle (HON) is awarded after reaching 1500 QP in one year.

SEN will receive two evouchers upon qualification each year, HON 4 evouchers. There will be no rollover of QP, but for members who exceed the qualification QP level, M&M will grant the following benefits:
FTL: Mileage exchange for QP at 200 qualifying points
SEN: 2 eVoucher at 700 qualifying points; 15,000 award miles at 1,000 qualifying points; Frequent Traveller partner card at 1,300 qualifying points
HON:2 eVoucher at 1,800 qualifying points; 30,000 award miles at 2,100 qualifying points; 2 eVoucher at 2,400 qualifying points; Frequent Traveller partner card at 2,700 qualifying points; Senator partner card at 3,000 qualifying points

The system of status miles, HON Circle miles, select miles, and status star points will be abolished at the end of 2020. Any status earned prior to that will be honored. Any HON Circle miles earned in 2020 will be credited as QP in the ratio 200:1. Status star points earned till end of 2020 will converted to lifetime QP at a ration of 2:1.

Members with a lifetime QP of 7500 will be awarded FTL for their lifetime. If members reach 10000 lifetime QP and have been SEN for at least a cumulative 10 years they will be awarded lifetime SEN status.

Status is always valid for the year of qualification and one additional year. HON and SEN will have a 'soft landing' ie if they cannot requalify for status, they will get a year of SEN or FTL respectively.

Print Wikipost

New qualifying points system for status from 2024

Search this Thread

Old Dec 9, 2020, 12:41 pm

Programs: Star Alliance Gold, Oneworld Silver
Originally Posted by oliver2002
Now the implementation moves into the future. My guess is 2023....
Thanks Oliver... just saw this... sorry for irrelevant question on other thread...

The new structure is now pushed so far into the future... My hunch is that we may now never see it.
Old Dec 9, 2020, 12:47 pm
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources
Original Poster

Programs: LH SEN
It seems they still think its required but are balking at the cost of implementing it at this time when they are bleeding cash. The reason no new date was announced is that giving out a date incurs legal liabilities. It seems (to me) that there are nutpots out there who book tickets based on the announcements and then threaten to sue if they don't get status because the date was changed. 🤦‍♂️
Old Dec 9, 2020, 6:25 pm

Programs: LH SEN, HH Gold
It seems they still think its required but are balking at the cost of implementing it at this time when they are bleeding cash. The reason no new date was announced is that giving out a date incurs legal liabilities. It seems (to me) that there are nutpots out there who book tickets based on the announcements and then threaten to sue if they don't get status because the date was changed. 🤦‍♂️
I do believe this is how they think, but the thinking escapes logic.

If they do think it's required and they're now bleeding cash, this is EXACTLY the time to implement it. I say this because, if they actually anticipate reaching a point where they haven't yet implemented it, but they're also not bleeding cash, logic would then be telling us they don't need to implement this at all.

People making bookings based on announcements shouldn't scare Lufthansa. It should actually be EXACTLY what Lufthansa should want right now. (Unless there is a hidden agenda by LH and they actually don't want to encourage advanced bookings right now?)
Old Dec 9, 2020, 11:48 pm
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources
Original Poster

Programs: LH SEN
Sure, but they are not bleeding cash because they have crappy status system... there is a pandemic out there...
The speculative bookings are of no use... it seems people booked dozens of runs to N. Africa for the new era which all got cancelled (ie refunded) when the winter schedule was cleaned up in late summer.
Old Dec 10, 2020, 12:42 am

Programs: TINDER GOLD, STARBUCKS GOLD, COSTCO EXECUTIVE!!
M&M had already put two years work into this before launching the change. Now the implementation moves into the future. My guess is 2023, when they always expected to be back at 2019 levels.
My guess is 2024, or never.

If it was 2023 I think they would have announced it.

This makes reaching SEN in 2021 a sweet spot, as status will be valid until Feb 2024 and you can requalify pending news of any program updates.
Old Dec 10, 2020, 1:20 am

Programs: Star Alliance Gold, Oneworld Silver
Originally Posted by keitherson
My guess is 2024, or never..... If it was 2023 I think they would have announced it.
I find it likely that we will never see the new structure. They will keep the old one for now. In the coming years, as the trend (even from before the pandemic) is towards “get what you pay for” for each individual flight, rather than long-term loyalty, I think it’s even possible that they may scrap (or withdraw from) M+M altogether...

It’s also possible that, by 2024 or so, they will decide they need a loyalty programme completely different to the old one and the shelved one... We will just have to wait and see.

Last edited by FlyerLX; Dec 10, 2020 at 3:24 am
Old Dec 10, 2020, 2:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: LH HON***,UA,BA.EK Gold,AV.
Originally Posted by more4less
Any news of what happens to LT SEN?

Thanks,
Since there is no date for the new system to start, presumably status stars continue to accumulate towards LT SEN & the existing rules apply
Old Dec 10, 2020, 2:34 am

Sure, but they are not bleeding cash because they have crappy status system... there is a pandemic out there...
The speculative bookings are of no use... it seems people booked dozens of runs to N. Africa for the new era which all got cancelled (ie refunded) when the winter schedule was cleaned up in late summer.
I think that just goes to show that clearly two years designing the new system wasn't enough! I did look at those and even pulled together an Excel sheet with a bunch of flights, but never pulled the trigger. If they didn't model this kind of behaviour and the effect it would generate, then they really need to find another job!

The point of a decent programme is to incentivise more travel than would be necessary, ideally to times and routes that would be less viable. The BA Exec Club does this pretty well. Look at the targetted offers going out to earn Gold Upgrade Vouchers for earning 250 or 500 tier points by 31st March.

M&M really isn't doing anything at all - now is exactly the time to bring additional incentives to travel with Lufthansa Group over the competition.
chris63, more4less and hugolover like this.
Old Dec 10, 2020, 3:13 am

Location: my heart is on the shores of the north Italian lakes
Programs: LX Senator Lifetime, Relais&Chateaux Club5C, ex ! "Amanjunkie", ex LHW LC, hate chain hotels
Wink SEN inflation and A380 on N. African routes

[QUOTE=oliver2002;32875450] t seems people booked dozens of runs to N. Africa for the new era which all got cancelled /QUOTE]

4 P roundtrips ex EU via FRA to N. Africa would have made too many new SEN. With a couple of thousand Euros spent each, not interesting for LH group. This new system would have massively devaluated status and will hopefully never see the day.
Old Dec 10, 2020, 5:22 am

[QUOTE=behuman;32875642]
t seems people booked dozens of runs to N. Africa for the new era which all got cancelled /QUOTE]

4 P roundtrips ex EU via FRA to N. Africa would have made too many new SEN. With a couple of thousand Euros spent each, not interesting for LH group. This new system would have massively devaluated status and will hopefully never see the day.
In theory, yes, however once you actually look of the logistics of the trips, its not that easy or pleasant. The times for a lot of the rotations were horrible, limited ability to do back to backs, plus long sectors in uncomfortable NEK seats meant the reality wasn't great. Especially if you wanted to do them enough for HON, it was very time consuming.
chris63 and hugolover like this.
Old Dec 10, 2020, 5:41 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by FlyerLX
I find it likely that we will never see the new structure. They will keep the old one for now. In the coming years, as the trend (even from before the pandemic) is towards “get what you pay for” for each individual flight, rather than long-term loyalty, I think it’s even possible that they may scrap (or withdraw from) M+M altogether...
I doubt that. Of course, LH has followed the lead of others in trying to make more money by upselling customers and allowing them to customize the product. But upselling and customization rely on customer data. They typical flyer does not want to see hundreds of a la carte options. He wants to see the two, three, or four most relevant to him. Data analytics is required to deliver on that relevance and it works way better if the customer is part of the loyalty programme.

Besides, behavior modification works. Sure, it's possible LH and *A push this model of "a la carte" pricing further so that at some point, lounge access isn't free any more for elites in eco. However, I'm skeptical this will happen, as too much money is being made from changing the behavior of elites through providing status benefits. Should lounge access be abolished, the most extreme case I can envision is like a subscription-based model in which elites get a discount. You know, a club membership costs EUR 600 p.a. And there's a 25% discount for FTL, a 50% discount for SEN and a 75 or 100% discount for HON.

Ultimately, you need the carrot provided by the elite benefits to a degree, though, to modify the behavior of corporate travellers. I think behavior modification cannot rely on award miles/redeemable miles alone. Revenue and inventory management have gotten better. I know load factors have been abysmal in 2020. But give it another year or so and we'll start to hop back on the trend towards better capacity utilization. Once again, we'll be in the situation of 2019 in which airlines have fewer seats which can be filled at low opportunity cost for awards.

Thus, I believe there continues to be a role for a loyalty programme with the elite tier characteristics. And I don't believe this cash-bleed argument when it comes to the new programme at all. Aviation is a very capital-intensive and labor-intensive business. The cost of implementing the new programme (and it's not just IT: retraining of staff is going to be a huge factor) is small in the grand scheme of things. I believe with a better structure, they could have achieved substantial incremental books as early as next summer.

Why do I think they pulled the plug? Well.... I think they are very conservative and very much in the mindset of having a mature programme and mature product. And it's less risky to see if you find ways to cut costs a little here and there than to make a bold move. It's somewhat understandable. They had a good thing going for a long time. They have a huge member base (especially in DE-CH-AT). Their HON status was long seen as aspiring and the red SEN tag is still sort of a status symbol for the older generation. But I think many parts of M&M are just outdated and need to be modernized.

(Sorry for overlong post.)
Dave_C, chris63 and more4less like this.
Old Dec 10, 2020, 7:53 am

Programs: LH HON, SQ TPPS, QR PLAT, EK SILVER, VN TITANIUM, HHilton Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Marriott Titanium
It is very interesting that as a HON I have not received any e-mail about the updates yet . Seems LH has a different view of which customers should be informed first
Old Dec 10, 2020, 8:06 am

Programs: LH HON
Originally Posted by roc83
It is very interesting that as a HON I have not received any e-mail about the updates yet . Seems LH has a different view of which customers should be informed first
i got mine a few days ago - did you check junk mail?
Old Dec 10, 2020, 8:22 am

Programs: LH SEN, FB Plat., HH D.
Originally Posted by chris63
Since there is no date for the new system to start, presumably status stars continue to accumulate towards LT SEN & the existing rules apply
Thanks chris63,

This is what I originally though but probably LT SEN turns to the old system, ie only by invitation when you are over 60.

We shall see...
Old Dec 10, 2020, 9:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: LH HON***,UA,BA.EK Gold,AV.
Originally Posted by roc83
Same for me & nothing in junk mail either.... neither have other members of my Family, SEN .....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.