Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 12, 2019, 6:52 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ACflyerDE
The programme will now change from 1 January 2022 (postponed again and it will not start before 2023)
https://www.miles-and-more.com/row/e...ts/update.html

All the changes are listed on the official M&M Website: https://www.miles-and-more.com/de/en...ts/update.html

Starting 2021, the system for earning status changes. From then on, status points are earned by cabin and segment flown:

Regional flights will earn 5 points in Economy and Premium Economy, 10 points in First and Business class per segment
Intercontinental flights, ie flights between two IATA regions, will earn 15 points in Economy, 20 in Premium Economy, 50 in Business and 70 in First class segments

There will be two kinds of points : qualifying points (QP): earned with M&M integrated partners (LH/EW/LX/OS/LO/OU/LG/etc) and normal points : earned with other partners like the airlines in the Star Alliance. QP can be earned on LH Airrail train segments, but are capped at 40/120/250 per year for FTL/SEN/HON.

'Frequent Traveler' (FTL, equivalent to *S) status is given to members with 160 points (of which atleast 80 need to be QP), 'Senator' (SEN, *G) to members with 480 points (of which atleast 240 need to be QP). HON Circle (HON) is awarded after reaching 1500 QP in one year.

SEN will receive two evouchers upon qualification each year, HON 4 evouchers. There will be no rollover of QP, but for members who exceed the qualification QP level, M&M will grant the following benefits:
FTL: Mileage exchange for QP at 200 qualifying points
SEN: 2 eVoucher at 700 qualifying points; 15,000 award miles at 1,000 qualifying points; Frequent Traveller partner card at 1,300 qualifying points
HON:2 eVoucher at 1,800 qualifying points; 30,000 award miles at 2,100 qualifying points; 2 eVoucher at 2,400 qualifying points; Frequent Traveller partner card at 2,700 qualifying points; Senator partner card at 3,000 qualifying points

The system of status miles, HON Circle miles, select miles, and status star points will be abolished at the end of 2020. Any status earned prior to that will be honored. Any HON Circle miles earned in 2020 will be credited as QP in the ratio 200:1. Status star points earned till end of 2020 will converted to lifetime QP at a ration of 2:1.

Members with a lifetime QP of 7500 will be awarded FTL for their lifetime. If members reach 10000 lifetime QP and have been SEN for at least a cumulative 10 years they will be awarded lifetime SEN status.

Status is always valid for the year of qualification and one additional year. HON and SEN will have a 'soft landing' ie if they cannot requalify for status, they will get a year of SEN or FTL respectively.

Print Wikipost

New qualifying points system for status from 2024

Search this Thread

Old Nov 24, 2019, 5:06 am

Programs: LH HON, AF Platinum
Originally Posted by worldclubber
"a win concerning SEN" is way too general.

Some, like me, will have to consider to change to another program, maybe even another alliance. My flight pattern (including regular Europe-Australia flights in F) used to work perfectly with M&M, and now they shafted me twice in one go:

1) F got severely devalued.

2) Half of my Europe-Australia segments won't count towards lifetime SEN, the ones on SQ and TG etc., as LH Group doesn't fly to Australia. Would have become lifetime SEN in a bearable number of years under the old system, not anymore.

Concerning the 50rt flights in Germany/Europe: The pressure to reduce short-haul flying has been steadily increasing for a while now; could change dramatically after the next elections in Germany. Have also heard first public voices that criticise LH for incentivising "more flying" right at a time when air travel is one of the foci of the debate on climate change.
I’m surprised you’re not HON with all the F travel.
hhdl likes this.
Old Nov 24, 2019, 5:07 am

Originally Posted by Lack
Perhaps because there's little cost to providing the benefits? Not like SENs can count on free upgrades, vouchers, fee waivers and decent award miles multipliers.
Access to awards is being enhanced - what is left shouldn't be that costly, as regular capacity controls and rev mgmt apply.
this is exactly my point
Old Nov 24, 2019, 5:15 am

Some, like me, will have to consider to change to another program, maybe even another alliance. My flight pattern (including regular Europe-Australia flights in F) used to work perfectly with M&M, and now they shafted me twice in one go:
Australia is not part of my flight pattern. So I might be wrong, but don’t you get 2x (10+70+70)=300 points for I.e. HAM-FRA-SIN-SYD?

2) Half of my Europe-Australia segments won't count towards lifetime SEN, the ones on SQ and TG etc., as LH Group doesn't fly to Australia. Would have become lifetime SEN in a bearable number of years under the old system, not anymore.
LT SEN was more a solution for retired people before, which you could get without flying LH group once. Now it‘s a real LT offer.

Concerning the 50rt flights in Germany/Europe: The pressure to reduce short-haul flying has been steadily increasing for a while now; could change dramatically after the next elections in Germany. Have also heard first public voices that criticise LH for incentivising "more flying" right at a time when air travel is one of the foci of the debate on climate change.
I don‘t think so. All plans and propaganda so far didn‘t help, but made it worse. Sooner or later people will understand that.
Old Nov 24, 2019, 5:38 am

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/GfL), LH FTL, SPG Plat
Apologies if this has been clarified before because I didn't see it upthread. Is it 100% certain that only historic Star Points will count towards LT status? Obviously this would be in addition to any future QP earned when the programme changes. I only ask because that seems more than a little unfair given that not all FTL's and SEN's are equal earnings wise in any given year. I must admit that I also have a selfish interest because I had a few fantastic SEN years when I was not far off HON. So if there was a retrospective QP component in addition to Star Points it would make LT status more achievable. I assume I am answering my own naive question and LH have no reason to be unduly generous for past behaviour...

As an aside I find the the lack of differentiation in QP between the cheapest and most expensive economy fares incredibly unfair and counterproductive. Yes, BA also has a single earnings QP in F/J but not in Y, where the price point in tickets can be huge between the cheapest tariffs and full flex Y. The latter should be rewarded beyond award miles. Feel very sorry for the SH road warriors who are limited by corp policy to Y but often book expensive last minute tickets. LH should love these customers as they get significant incremental revenue for no additional service. Instead they are being slapped in the face, and effectively told they don't even deserve easy access to the already quite bare bones / crowded business lounges, etc. Very interested to see how this strategy plays out for them.
Old Nov 24, 2019, 5:50 am

Programs: LH M&M, BA EC, DL SM
Originally Posted by Lack
If the award miles going rev based has impacted you negatively, then you probably didn't buy full fare tickets -> and pretty much they're the ones who lose out on this change (but I reckon they got nowhere to go and anyway and will still pass the criteria).
Most here don’t buy full fare F most of the time A took a really bad hit when the award miles change to revenue based and another one with the status devaluation now. Not good and doubt the people flying lots of cheap short-hauls are better for LH.
Old Nov 24, 2019, 5:54 am

Originally Posted by sophialite
I’m surprised you’re not HON with all the F travel.
Surprised you are surprised, as you should know better.

Quite a bit of my travel on LH F-tickets doesn’t give me HON miles (under the current system), as there is no LH Group Metal to the places I have to go to. I.e. I make SEN easily, but never HON.
chris63 and Hydro88 like this.
Old Nov 24, 2019, 6:07 am

Originally Posted by contrails7
Apologies if this has been clarified before because I didn't see it upthread. Is it 100% certain that only historic Star Points will count towards LT status? Obviously this would be in addition to any future QP earned when the programme changes. I only ask because that seems more than a little unfair given that not all FTL's and SEN's are equal earnings wise in any given year. I must admit that I also have a selfish interest because I had a few fantastic SEN years when I was not far off HON. So if there was a retrospective QP component in addition to Star Points it would make LT status more achievable. I assume I am answering my own naive question and LH have no reason to be unduly generous for past behaviour...
I'd like to read some clarification on this as well.

Originally Posted by contrails7
As an aside I find the the lack of differentiation in QP between the cheapest and most expensive economy fares incredibly unfair and counterproductive. Yes, BA also has a single earnings QP in F/J but not in Y, where the price point in tickets can be huge between the cheapest tariffs and full flex Y. The latter should be rewarded beyond award miles. Feel very sorry for the SH road warriors who are limited by corp policy to Y but often book expensive last minute tickets. LH should love these customers as they get significant incremental revenue for no additional service. Instead they are being slapped in the face, and effectively told they don't even deserve easy access to the already quite bare bones / crowded business lounges, etc. Very interested to see how this strategy plays out for them.
Last minute, scheduled based bookings aren't usually based on FFP affinity. Incentivizing them may not be needed. And it's certainly not no additional service, as LH need to keep an open seat available or displace another passenger.
Looking west though, a mile is a mile and segment is a segment was a logic for American program elite level qualification regardless of fare classes and distances even.

Most here don’t buy full fare F most of the time A took a really bad hit when the award miles change to revenue based and another one with the status devaluation now. Not good and doubt the people flying lots of cheap short-hauls are better for LH.
With a 5k miles long haul stretch as basis, it's 2.5 F(A) trips (with feeders) for SEN. Under the new system it's 3 trips. I may be desensitized by all the enhancements over the years, but this does not seem that bad.
Old Nov 24, 2019, 6:22 am

Surprised you are surprised, as you should know better.

Quite a bit of my travel on LH F-tickets doesn’t give me HON miles (under the current system), as there is no LH Group Metal to the places I have to go to. I.e. I make SEN easily, but never HON.
Got it
Old Nov 24, 2019, 7:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Plat, IHG and Hilton Diamond, LH SEN, BA Gold
Originally Posted by CalFlyer
It was one of the three leading strategy consulting firms. Happened twice a year when the German Partners would all want to use the same flight to our global Partner meeting.

Similar bumping scenes affecting status holders I only observe on the 7am EK flight DXB-RUH where everybody is Platinum or Gold, and the Silvers bite the dust.
Amazing policy. I was with one of the very big international law firms and we had the strict policy "no more than three partners on the very same flight".
Hydro88 likes this.
Old Nov 24, 2019, 7:09 am

Programs: LH -- HON Circle **, IHG Spire Elite, Hilton Diamond, 1865 Voyager
Originally Posted by Flying Lawyer
Amazing policy. I was with one of the very big international law firms and we had the strict policy "no more than three partners on the very same flight".
I know also much smaller companies, who do not allow important members to fly on same plane. Just due security.
Old Nov 24, 2019, 7:50 am

Programs: LH HON
This actually depends a lot on where you start. I book ex-DE and my award miles haven’t changed dramatically on A fares.

on cheaper departure countries, that’s obviously a different story
chris63 likes this.
Old Nov 24, 2019, 9:57 am

Programs: Eurostar Carte Blanche, SBB-CFF-FFS GA-AG, SNCF Grand Voyageur LeClub
Originally Posted by Flying Lawyer
Originally Posted by Raul_R
I know also much smaller companies, who do not allow important members to fly on same plane. Just due security.
True, but if you have >1,000 partners who all want to go to a place where there aren't that many flights, having a max of three on any flight would make that impossible.

On the other hand, if you have >1,000, losing a plane-full is obviously an enormous tragedy, but the firm isn't wiped out. Given the very low probability of that happening, I guess the firm can live with it.
Old Nov 24, 2019, 12:34 pm

Originally Posted by thbe
Australia is not part of my flight pattern. So I might be wrong, but don’t you get 2x (10+70+70)=300 points for I.e. HAM-FRA-SIN-SYD?

Yes, but FRA-BKK-SYD in F gives you only 70 qualifying points each way, which also means only 70 of the 10.000 towards LT SEN.

Some win, some lose, but the change of the system comes at a very bad time for me (considering previous status, age, flight profile).

10 years of SEN and 1,000,000 status miles when I turn 60, i.e. the current system, would have been a walk in the proverbial park for me.
Old Nov 24, 2019, 2:19 pm

Originally Posted by San Gottardo
True, but if you have >1,000 partners who all want to go to a place where there aren't that many flights, having a max of three on any flight would make that impossible.

On the other hand, if you have >1,000, losing a plane-full is obviously an enormous tragedy, but the firm isn't wiped out. Given the very low probability of that happening, I guess the firm can live with it.
Keep in mind that a significant portion of those 1,000 partners is non-equity ;-)
Old Nov 24, 2019, 2:30 pm

Originally Posted by daumueller
This actually depends a lot on where you start. I book ex-DE and my award miles haven’t changed dramatically on A ...
The award mile change was also tolerable for me, P took a bigger hit there, but the status miles/points do bug me.
chris63 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.