Wiki Posts
Search

Lounge at Manchester T1 - Disgrace

Search this Thread

Old Jun 19, 2019, 6:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: LH HON***,UA,BA.EK Gold,AV.
Originally Posted by NewbieRunner
They charge drivers dropping off/picking up passengers £3 for 5 minutes and £4 for 10 minutes. And sell access to security fast track and passport control fast track for £5 each.

Where does all the money they raise go?
We know where the cash isn’t going, on the T1 infrastructure
Old Jun 19, 2019, 7:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Originally Posted by chris63

Welcome back !
MAN is a National disgrace...... you must be very keen to return again
I'm off again tomorrow. This time QR, so a chance to see what they're doing to T3. Last time the lifts weren't working there, either.

But that was a few months' back, they'll have had time to fix them....
Old Jun 19, 2019, 7:50 am
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)

Programs: LH SEN** HH Diamond
Originally Posted by IAN-UK
I'm off again tomorrow. This time QR, so a chance to see what they're doing to T3. Last time the lifts weren't working there, either.
Aren’t QR using T2?
Old Jun 19, 2019, 8:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Where does all the money they raise go?

MIA had a reputation for top heavy management with good pay and benefits.

It's years' since I was involved with them: but I think MAN's still under regulation of aeronautical charges, so I'm guessing their management teams thrash around to find yet more sources of commercial revenue to justify their existence.
Old Jun 19, 2019, 8:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Aren’t QR using T2?
They are, and I meant T2

I've always found he numbering counter intuitive, unless i go back to when the terminals came on stream. I admit to being old enough to remember the chandeliers in T1, the original terminal.
lhrpete likes this.
Old Jun 19, 2019, 8:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Slight error, but are they the type which is locked into a vending kind of system? That’s still possible but it will be checking for weight also if it’s a good system.

The 2 zł coin for 2 Eur is quite famous when vending machines were the old kind they didn’t check the weight.
Old Jun 19, 2019, 8:26 am
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)

Originally Posted by IAN-UK
I admit to being old enough to remember the chandeliers in T1, the original terminal.
And T1 and T3 were connected landside. Why they had to separate T1 and T3 when they are effectively parts of the same building I have no idea. Remember the area used by bmi for their gates and the lounge (down the escalator which was often not working from the rest of T3)? It was/is part of T1 but accessed from T3.
Old Jun 21, 2019, 3:18 pm

Programs: AA EXP/OWE, Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by Bratislava Blade
I will honestly say that this lounge is the worst I have ever seen in Europe. It is not an LH lounge but I assume they pay for for access and so therefore have the right to check the standard that is being offered to their premium passengers. In short, if you can I would advise to avoid Manchester airport in general and the aspire lounge at all costs.
I'll agree here. We flew out of MAN last year on SQ. Luckily there was an area cordoned off for SQ, but it was pathetic. Lounge person said, "sorry one beer per person." What in the actual f? I was trying to get one for my wife. I asked if I could have a mimosa, and she goes "what does this look like, a bar?" (Not being sarcastic, but I also couldn't help but agree with her. It was like cabinets that shared a common thread of storing booze with a countertop that may or may not actually have been a bar). I told her if she poured me some champagne I'd leave her alone and get juice from the breakfast bar. I actually got her to laugh and cheer up after that one for whatever reason.

We have had better airport experiences on budget airlines in the past up until we got on the actual aircraft, of course. The boarding process was offensive and we've had better lounge experiences at the Naples train station than this. Luckily the SQ flight was just fine. We will never return to Manchester. Flying Southwest out of Love Field felt like a 5-star experience compared to the foibles we experienced at MAN. Woof.
Old Jun 22, 2019, 7:56 am

Originally Posted by meunger11
I'll agree here. We flew out of MAN last year on SQ. Luckily there was an area cordoned off for SQ, but it was pathetic. Lounge person said, "sorry one beer per person." What in the actual f? I was trying to get one for my wife. I asked if I could have a mimosa, and she goes "what does this look like, a bar?" (Not being sarcastic, but I also couldn't help but agree with her. It was like cabinets that shared a common thread of storing booze with a countertop that may or may not actually have been a bar). I told her if she poured me some champagne I'd leave her alone and get juice from the breakfast bar. I actually got her to laugh and cheer up after that one for whatever reason.

We have had better airport experiences on budget airlines in the past up until we got on the actual aircraft, of course. The boarding process was offensive and we've had better lounge experiences at the Naples train station than this. Luckily the SQ flight was just fine. We will never return to Manchester. Flying Southwest out of Love Field felt like a 5-star experience compared to the foibles we experienced at MAN. Woof.
If you were flying on SQ you must have been in T2 but it’s not surprising the Aspire Lounge there isn’t any better. Unfortunately for those of us in the ‘catchment area’ of MAN there isn’t much choice.
chris63 and GlobalMatt like this.
Old Jun 22, 2019, 10:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: LH HON***,UA,BA.EK Gold,AV.
If you were flying on SQ you must have been in T2 but it’s not surprising the Aspire Lounge there isn’t any better. Unfortunately for those of us in the ‘catchment area’ of MAN there isn’t much choice.
Yes, it’s windowless so even more depressing, the very thought of the move to T2 doesn’t inspire one.... but maybe the infrastructure will function & Hazard free toilets......

Catchment area with a big C, no one in their right mind would voluntarily choose MAN
Old Jun 22, 2019, 4:17 pm

Not that it affects (m)any FTers but it looks like Ryanair’s weekday flights between MAN and FRA will cease at the end of the summer timetable.
Old Jun 24, 2019, 1:29 am

An interesting snippet found on Pprune.There’s an international standard on methods of measuring actual energy consumption of lifts, escalators and moving walkways in response to the rapid increase in energy consumption on a worldwide basis. Older machines at MAN fail the test so MAG switch them off!
worldclubber likes this.
Old Jun 24, 2019, 7:44 am

An interesting snippet found on Pprune.There’s an international standard on methods of measuring actual energy consumption of lifts, escalators and moving walkways in response to the rapid increase in energy consumption on a worldwide basis. Older machines at MAN fail the test so MAG switch them off!
LOL! Can you post the link to some source other than pprune? Time to forward this around. What a royal screw-up.
Old Jun 24, 2019, 7:59 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Holy cow MAG (the company that owns MAN) has an EBITDA of nearly 50%:

Page 5 of this pdf is hillarious when it comes to the MAN comments: https://www.magairports.com/media/15...preads-512.pdf
mmff likes this.
Old Jun 25, 2019, 12:46 am

Programs: LH M&M, BA EC, DL SM
Great find!

They should switch off the whole airport.
Internaut and chris63 like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.