FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, Brussels, LOT and Other Partners | Miles & More (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/lufthansa-austrian-swiss-brussels-lot-other-partners-miles-more-495/)
-   -   Lounge at Manchester T1 - Disgrace (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/lufthansa-austrian-swiss-brussels-lot-other-partners-miles-more/1935180-lounge-manchester-t1-disgrace.html)

Bratislava Blade Oct 12, 18 3:30 am

Lounge at Manchester T1 - Disgrace
 
LH currently use the Aspire Lounge at Manchester Airport T1 where all there flights depart/arrive from along with all Eurowings flights. In the last few years Manchester airport has become a real bear pit and using it to travel regularly for business has become a nightmare, the business lounge however is at another (lower) level altogether. Tickets are sold to access the lounge (I think for £15 but I may be wrong) effectively making the lounge an all you can drink and eat pub from dawn to dusk (and beyond) and my god do many of the people make sure they get their money's worth.

The lounge is always full with queues out of the door to get in, yes access is always granted with an LH business ticket or SEN card but that is a mixed blessing. I travel out of Manchester every week and last Monday afternoon was typical, the lounge was pretty full and almost all the tables (30-40) where piled high with dirty plates and glasses/beer bottles and half eaten food. The floors and carpets where awash with food and drink, as where the filthy chairs and sofas, genuinely it was disgusting. No clean glasses or cutlery where available should you have found anything to actually eat. I left the lounge immediately, along with several others, I complained to the guy on reception who apologized and said that many people have said the same in recent weeks but the lounge cannot get the staff to cope.

I will honestly say that this lounge is the worst I have ever seen in Europe. It is not an LH lounge but I assume they pay for for access and so therefore have the right to check the standard that is being offered to their premium passengers. In short, if you can I would advise to avoid Manchester airport in general and the aspire lounge at all costs.

PAX_fips Oct 12, 18 3:38 am

It's 21 prebook and I think 25 walk-in. I prefer "Giraffe" where 21 GBP buy you a ok meal+drinks.

Nick Art Oct 12, 18 5:32 am


Originally Posted by Bratislava Blade (Post 30306655)
LH currently use the Aspire Lounge at Manchester Airport T1 where all there flights depart/arrive from along with all Eurowings flights. In the last few years Manchester airport has become a real bear pit and using it to travel regularly for business has become a nightmare, the business lounge however is at another (lower) level altogether. Tickets are sold to access the lounge (I think for £15 but I may be wrong) effectively making the lounge an all you can drink and eat pub from dawn to dusk (and beyond) and my god do many of the people make sure they get their money's worth.

The lounge is always full with queues out of the door to get in, yes access is always granted with an LH business ticket or SEN card but that is a mixed blessing. I travel out of Manchester every week and last Monday afternoon was typical, the lounge was pretty full and almost all the tables (30-40) where piled high with dirty plates and glasses/beer bottles and half eaten food. The floors and carpets where awash with food and drink, as where the filthy chairs and sofas, genuinely it was disgusting. No clean glasses or cutlery where available should you have found anything to actually eat. I left the lounge immediately, along with several others, I complained to the guy on reception who apologized and said that many people have said the same in recent weeks but the lounge cannot get the staff to cope.

I will honestly say that this lounge is the worst I have ever seen in Europe. It is not an LH lounge but I assume they pay for for access and so therefore have the right to check the standard that is being offered to their premium passengers. In short, if you can I would advise to avoid Manchester airport in general and the aspire lounge at all costs.

Not quite as bad but similar situation in EDI. The Lounge is really nothing to brag about, quite the opposite. To add insult to injury, after checking it out and not being too impressed I left it to visit the toilet (the lounge has none) and upon my return there was a sign explaining that the lounge was now overcrowded and no access would be granted anymore. (Quite embarassing being denied access to a such mediocre lounge).

I then spent my time in a nice little caffť next to my gate to then do *priority* boarding together with 50% of the plane (apparently 50% of the pax and 100% of the gate leece were *G, but I and 4 others were the only actual J pax), very much to the anger of the passenger behind me who vented about it rather loud.

I enjoyed the experience nontheless. :)

chris63 Oct 12, 18 6:39 am

Yes,
MAN T1 is a National disgrace, 5* shops & 3rd World Terminal.

The Aspire lounge is just as the op describes & if anything itís charitable comments.

hugolover Oct 12, 18 6:42 am


Originally Posted by Nick Art (Post 30306866)
Not quite as bad but similar situation in EDI. The Lounge is really nothing to brag about, quite the opposite. To add insult to injury, after checking it out and not being too impressed I left it to visit the toilet (the lounge has none) and upon my return there was a sign explaining that the lounge was now overcrowded and no access would be granted anymore. (Quite embarassing being denied access to a such mediocre lounge).

I then spent my time in a nice little caffť next to my gate to then do *priority* boarding together with 50% of the plane (apparently 50% of the pax and 100% of the gate leece were *G, but I and 4 others were the only actual J pax), very much to the anger of the passenger behind me who vented about it rather loud.

I enjoyed the experience nontheless. :)

The sign says that access isnít granted to those holding membership cards. Like OP complaining about MAN access is always granted to eligible card holders of FFPs and C pax from the contracted airlines. Iíve always been able to get a seat in EDI even during the summer rush. Itís a fairly crap lounge of course, but I can remember thinking that about many of LH own lounges! DUS comes to mind...

Priority in EDI works very well. Iíve never seen a huge priority queue. I fly from this station between 2 and 3 times every month for years. Queue on the left by the barrier as the non-preem pax queue in a tense.

EDI ground staff wear the LH hat, but stations like KRK with 6x as many departures donít. Theyíre all contract though right?

oliver2002 Oct 12, 18 6:59 am

The Aspire T1 lounge in MAN is unsiversally loathed:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/sing...r-airport.html
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/aer-...hester-t1.html
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/u-k-...anchester.html


EDI: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/airp...er-lounge.html

mmff Oct 12, 18 7:58 am

Damn, I thought that the basement lounge at CDG T2 was bad but this seems to be a whole other level of bad.

view Oct 12, 18 8:41 am

As a SAS customer I no longer have lounge access at MAN and I honestly do not miss it, for all reasons described here. Now I use the Giraffe and while not only is the food is better than in the Aspire it also means I do not have to eat the meal in SAS Plus so Iīm very happy.

angelats Oct 12, 18 10:20 am

The lounge that LH uses in Glasgow is the same - with the added fun that I have to argue my way in every single time (flying on an LH business class ticket). The service flying out of Glasgow on LH is pretty poor in general - no priority boarding call, which is frustrating - but I switched from BA to LH some time ago and prefer LH's service in general, so I suppose I have to suck it up.

chris63 Oct 12, 18 11:03 am


Originally Posted by oliver2002 (Post 30307145)
The Aspire T1 lounge in MAN is unsiversally loathed:

With very good reason !

Aspire is an entirely inappropriate name for this disgusting excuse of a business lounge

chris63 Oct 12, 18 11:05 am


Originally Posted by mmff (Post 30307333)
Damn, I thought that the basement lounge at CDG T2 was bad but this seems to be a whole other level of bad.

T2 CDG lounge is paradise compared to MAN T1 Aspire

hugolover Oct 12, 18 2:49 pm


Originally Posted by angelats (Post 30307856)
The lounge that LH uses in Glasgow is the same - with the added fun that I have to argue my way in every single time (flying on an LH business class ticket). The service flying out of Glasgow on LH is pretty poor in general - no priority boarding call, which is frustrating - but I switched from BA to LH some time ago and prefer LH's service in general, so I suppose I have to suck it up.

Flown from GLA four times this year on LH. Twice in C, Twice in Y. No issues to get into the (crap) lounge. I thought the attendant was actually very friendly. But I think this one is run by the airport?

True about priority boarding, but you obviously are not aware its only in the past 6 months or something (I posted my own thread on this) that LH arranged Fast Track security in both EDI and GLA. We are lucky there is even an alternate!
For this Winter season LH will fly mainline to both MUC and FRA from GLA & EDI, plus EW I think.

worldclubber Oct 12, 18 2:51 pm


Originally Posted by chris63 (Post 30308015)
With very good reason !

Aspire is an entirely inappropriate name for this disgusting excuse of a business lounge

Wow, I will probably have to go to MAN at some point next year and now have something else to look forward to - not.

Did not to expect anything worse then CDG basement in Europe.

NewbieRunner Oct 12, 18 3:56 pm

I thought the Aspire Lounge (aka Lounge 26) at AMS was worse than the MAN T1 Aspire Lounge. And itís a looong way from LH departure gates.

I donít visit the MAN T1 Lounge as often as the OP but the food offering has slightly improved in the last 12 months. I go there for somewhere to sit because departure gate areas are abysmal and do not have enough seats. (But then I can say the same thing about FRA B non-Schengen gate areas especially before longhaul departures but I digress.)

When the expansion of MAN T2 is complete I expect all *A carriers to move from T1 (which will be demolished in due course) to T2. Is it too optimistic to expect one of the *A airlines (SQ?) to open its own lounge for *A business/*G passengers? Including seasonal flights I believe13 *A carriers fly out of MAN (including ET which starts 4 flights a week to ADD in December).

Monty_GER Oct 12, 18 4:44 pm

The worst thing are the restrooms that are located outside the lounge. :eek:


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 10:42 am.


This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.