Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Pilots go on strike! Not again... [Nov 2016 edition]

Search this Thread

Old Nov 21, 2016, 3:15 pm

Programs: LH SEN; BA Gold
It's all so confusing with their subsidiaries.

At some point, they are going to use Helevtic aircrafts, with an OS flight crew, with 4U crews operating an LX flight on behalf of LH. It just baffles my mind.
Old Nov 21, 2016, 3:50 pm
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
The waiver details:

In the event you have booked a flight from Germany on 23. November 2016, kindly check the current status of your flight prior to departure.
Please enter your mobile number in your Miles & More profile or your booking, so information about changes will be automatically advised in the future.
With immediate effect Lufthansa is offering a free-of charge rebooking to provide planning security to Lufthansa passengers.
Passengers who are in possession of Lufthansa/SWISS/Austrian Airlines or Brussels Airlines tickets to travel on 23. November 2016 from Germany, can rebook once free of charge online under My bookings.

The following conditions must be observed:
- Rebooking within the same booking class
- Tickets must be issued on/before 21. November 2016
- New date of travel must be on/before 1. March 2017
- Change of origin/destination and class of service/compartment are not permitted
- For all other ticket conditions, original fare conditions apply
If you have booked through a tour operator or travel agency, you may also contact the tour operator / travel agency where the booking was made.

In case you are not able to use the mentioned self-service options, please contact our Service Center free of charge from within Germany at 0800 850 60 70* or +49 (0)69 86 799799**. Alternatively, you can contact us via one of the local Lufthansa phone numbers.

We ask for your understanding that there may be longer waiting times due to the increased call volumes.

*Calls from German landlines are free of charge, rates from mobile networks depend on the provider and may vary,
**Calls from German landlines are charged locally, rates from mobile networks depend on the provider and may vary.
Advice regarding air passenger rights can be found here.

Old Nov 21, 2016, 5:05 pm

Programs: UA 1MM for a while now, AS for a minute, BAEC newly minted Gold
deleted

Last edited by cyborg; Jun 2, 2018 at 2:03 pm Reason: Moving on from Flyertalk
Old Nov 21, 2016, 5:38 pm

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, A3*Gold, AA Plat, HH Gold, IHG Plat Amb, Marriott Plat
I have a booking AMS-MUC on Wednesday. Anybody know if Cityline is affected ?
Old Nov 21, 2016, 6:05 pm
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Cityline is not affected, but LH may use the CL fleet to maintain traffic on more important routes...
Old Nov 21, 2016, 6:07 pm

Originally Posted by cyborg
So, my flight on LH on the 23rd from IAD-FRA (419) connecting FRA-FCO is subject to this disruption due to the fact that the aircraft will have to depart FRA on the 23rd (418) to reach IAD the same day for my flight.
Past experience shows that LH will not operate the evening flights of the 22nd and keep the aircraft in IAD to operate the 23rd. The logic behind that is to prevent pax being stranded in FRA on the 23rd if they had been flown from IAD on the 23rd. Your flight should be OK, as LH419/23NOV will be outside the strike period.
Old Nov 21, 2016, 7:33 pm

Sorry to hear about the strikes. I'm flying long haul this Sunday (Nov 27). Can this extend till Sunday? Any other impacts this strike could have?
Old Nov 21, 2016, 7:35 pm

Originally Posted by Redhat72
Sorry to hear about the strikes. I'm flying long haul this Sunday (Nov 27). Can this extend till Sunday? Any other impacts this strike could have?
unlikely an extension, but they can always call another strike. This one was hit directly for thanksgiving so it would not surprise me if they hit again for return flights after the weekend.
Old Nov 21, 2016, 7:36 pm

LH will release a special timetable in about 8.5 hours (6a FRA CET)
Old Nov 21, 2016, 7:37 pm

Originally Posted by WorldLux
It's all so confusing with their subsidiaries.

At some point, they are going to use Helevtic aircrafts, with an OS flight crew, with 4U crews operating an LX flight on behalf of LH. It just baffles my mind.
Don't forget about SN catering staff!
Old Nov 22, 2016, 12:50 am

Programs: LH HON, QF CL, SQ TPPS, AF Plat, VS Gold, VA Plat, EK Gold, HH Diamond, WoH Globalist, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by PilotChris
This American expat living in Munich and planning to fly MUC-LAX on Wednesday to visit my elderly parents for Thanksgiving is pissed.

As a UA*G I hope I'll be re-accommodated somehow, but my girlfriend is^H^Hwas flying with me on an LH staff fare and -- given that LH452 doesn't even fly on Thursday -- I expect she'll miss the holiday entirely.

If anybody knows LH policy for re-accommodating pax on an X1 ticket, I'd love to know what our options are.
Can't help with staff fare however I'm flying on the LX40 ZRH-LAX tomorrow (23rd) and noticed there is still a lot of space available in C and Y, try to get LH to move you to that flight.
Old Nov 22, 2016, 12:59 am

Originally Posted by Germanfflyer
Just an update - EW operated by 4U should NOT be effected as officially 4U is not on strike....lets see if that works out...
You can't make up strikes with LH enough

So currently it looks like Long Haul Eurowings will have a good chance to be striked, all Lufthansa (but not Short Haul Cityline) has a good chance for a strike, but no other operations (but you might "feel it" even on LX/OS because of rebookings)

To strike. To getting stuck.

There's no better way to stay grounded
Old Nov 22, 2016, 1:30 am

Programs: LX SEN
Originally Posted by LondonElite
Looks like LH pilots will strike this Wednesday.

I'm curious. If pilots want a share of LH's better results now, are they willing to accept a variable pay deal that reduces their income if the company does less well next year? Would they agree to fly the airplanes for free if the company makes a loss? I don't quite get how the pilots really influence some of the big determinants in profitability like, for example, fuel price or greater passenger numbers. Are they not paid to safely get the big machine from A to B?

I do not know the figures of savings that LH makes by using EW pilots in their cockpits. But as a regular LH passenger and pilot myself, I pay attention to the quality of the pilots who must indeed safely fly the big machine. Hence, I hate that LH saves bucks on pilots by hiring cheap EW pilots and would rather drink in a plastic cup in C if savings have to be made.
Old Nov 22, 2016, 1:50 am

Originally Posted by oliver2002
Past experience shows that LH will not operate the evening flights of the 22nd and keep the aircraft in IAD to operate the 23rd. The logic behind that is to prevent pax being stranded in FRA on the 23rd if they had been flown from IAD on the 23rd. Your flight should be OK, as LH419/23NOV will be outside the strike period.
take united at 5.25pm?
In case LH does not operate
Old Nov 22, 2016, 3:08 am

Programs: *G
now official announcement.

http://www.lufthansa.com/de/en/Travel-information

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.