Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, Brussels, LOT and Other Partners | Miles & More
Reload this Page >

New "Light" Flight Class means ZERO bags for star alliance gold members

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New "Light" Flight Class means ZERO bags for star alliance gold members

Search this Thread

Old Aug 18, 2016, 12:35 pm

Programs: 1 thousand
Originally Posted by sfvoyage
Is lounge access still granted on these light fares for *G customers?
Yes! They haven't managed to ruin that (yet).
Old Aug 18, 2016, 12:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Plat, IHG and Hilton Diamond, LH SEN, BA Gold
Yes
Old Aug 18, 2016, 12:57 pm

Originally Posted by televisor
Yes! They haven't managed to ruin that (yet).
That's good!

I'm still confused about my fare. As I wrote a few threads up, I bought this ticket on expedia. When I looked up my record locator on OS's website, it shows a fare class of K. This fare class earns 50% mileage on UA MP program.

When I called OS yesterday they checked and told me I have a light fare and can't get seat assignment in advance.

I just now tried to do a dummy booking on exactly the same flights on OS website, and all 3 economy options (light, classic and flex) are showing class M. I can't find class K.

Is K in fact a light fare class?
Old Aug 18, 2016, 1:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Plat, IHG and Hilton Diamond, LH SEN, BA Gold
That's good!

I'm still confused about my fare. As I wrote a few threads up, I bought this ticket on expedia. When I looked up my record locator on OS's website, it shows a fare class of K. This fare class earns 50% mileage on UA MP program.

When I called OS yesterday they checked and told me I have a light fare and can't get seat assignment in advance.

I just now tried to do a dummy booking on exactly the same flights on OS website, and all 3 economy options (light, classic and flex) are showing class M. I can't find class K.

Is K in fact a light fare class?

There is K Light, K Classic and K Flex. And there is M light, M Classic and M Flex. K or M or Y or whatever is the fare bucket and will determine the general price. Assume that you will get a 20 Euro discount for K light and need to pay 50 Euro (or so) extra for K Flex.

K Flex allows you to rebook free of charge as long a the K bucket is available. If not, you need to pay the fare difference.
Old Aug 18, 2016, 1:14 pm

Originally Posted by Flying Lawyer
There is K Light, K Classic and K Flex. And there is M light, M Classic and M Flex. K or M or Y or whatever is the fare bucket and will determine the general price. Assume that you will get a 20 Euro discount for K light and need to pay 50 Euro (or so) extra for K Flex.

K Flex allows you to rebook free of charge as long a the K bucket is available. If not, you need to pay the fare difference.
OK, thanks. So that's the problem with booking with expedia or similar third party sites. I didn't know I'd end up with a "light" fare that has limitations even for *G flyers. In fact, I didn't know anything about such "light fare" until I called OS for seat assignments, only to be told I have a "light" fare, and then I did further research on flyertalk. Lesson learned!
Old Aug 18, 2016, 1:28 pm

Programs: LH Miles and More, DL SkyMiles, Bonvoy, Hilton
Yes. Lounge access is unchanged.
Old Sep 9, 2016, 5:53 pm

Programs: 3 Month Delta Plat, UA PP 2.4mm, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, HH Lifetime Diamond, National EE
I booked LHR-FRA on UA website only to find out about the LH Light fares after the fact. What burns me the most was no mileage or segment credit, but I've been burned on AC no credit fares so I should have known better.
What surprised me the most about the whole RT fare of $142? $104 of it was taxes and fees.
Old Sep 10, 2016, 5:26 am
Suspended

Programs: UA Premier Gold
What surprised me the most about the whole RT fare of $142? $104 of it was taxes and fees.
Those USD 104 are mostly airline imposed carrier surcharges.
Old Sep 10, 2016, 6:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by c502cid
I booked LHR-FRA on UA website only to find out about the LH Light fares after the fact. What burns me the most was no mileage or segment credit, but I've been burned on AC no credit fares so I should have known better.
What fare class is listed on your UA itinerary?
Old Sep 10, 2016, 11:02 am
Suspended

OK, thanks. So that's the problem with booking with expedia or similar third party sites. I didn't know I'd end up with a "light" fare that has limitations even for *G flyers.
I am pretty sure you must have been de'light'ed, when you became aware of that.
Old Sep 10, 2016, 11:42 am

Programs: 3 Month Delta Plat, UA PP 2.4mm, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, HH Lifetime Diamond, National EE
Originally Posted by TomMM
What fare class is listed on your UA itinerary?
K
Old Sep 10, 2016, 11:57 am
Suspended

K class on LH has not been earning any miles on UA for man years now. Its not just a recent change. Even if you book on united.com, there won't be any award miles, PQD, PQM or PQS. You can see the fare class before you book.
Old Sep 14, 2016, 9:05 am

Programs: 1 thousand
And once again I'm booking a mixed airline 2-leg ticket through SN instead of buying a direct on LX, mainly because I dislike LX's baggage policy. I'll "waste" 1.5 hours on a layover, but I think the SN lounge compensates for that. Not being stuck on an LX cramp-air-bus for 2 hours is also a minor bonus (not that SN seats are much better, but at least I get a break in the middle).

(Posting mainly in case any LH/LX employees are watching this thread. Not that I think my one defection will be noticed, but maybe it will help...)
Old Oct 5, 2016, 1:22 am
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)

Programs: LH SEN** HH Diamond
Originally Posted by NewbieRunner
The 20€ difference between Economy Light and Economy Classic actually includes one checked bag and advance seat reservation. Seat reservation for a standard seat costs 10€ and an exit row seat 25€. If you are SEN and want to check a bag and reserve an exit row seat for no extra cost, Economy Classic can be a very good value.
I just OLCI'd for flights tomorrow with what must be my second Eco Light ticket and can report automatic seat assignment remembers your preference.

On the A321 with Eco Classic tickets I usually select exit row window seats. Automated seat assignment has given me 26A and 10F so far which I was able to change to 11A if still available. Even on the A320 I was assigned "exit row" seats but since they are not real exit row seats I managed to move myself further forward in the cabin.

The trick may not work on very busy flights but so far my experience has been good if you OLCI early.
Old Nov 1, 2016, 12:05 am

Programs: SPG Plat, Hyatt Diamond, AA EXP, UA 1K
Would/should bags be checked through to final destination if departing on LH J (international) and connecting to LH Y (trans-EU on unexpected "light" fare)?

Originally Posted by YuropFlyer
No. When your fare does not have ANY allowance, you won't get an extra bag (extra as in, only if your allowance is already ONE bag, you'll get one more extra) - and you can perfectly mix LH/LX/OS on keep on being Light (ie, no baggage) - only if you add carriers outside of LH Group, it will not be Light anymore (but more expensive)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.